Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

May HAVE to buy a car soon :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

I don't know much about cars, just some links.....

2004 Pug 407 1.6 asking €19,995.00

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=452531&ID=721135&NumPics=1&Make=Peugeot&Model=407&frmFilter=

2004 Audi A4 1.6 asking €21,950.00

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=296023&ID=524478&NumPics=1&Make=Audi&Model=A4&frmFilter=

2005 Huyndai Coupe 1.6 asking €24,800.00

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=415278&ID=678580&NumPics=1&Make=Hyundai&Model=Coupe%20FX&frmFilter=

nice cars out there for that sort of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok lets start:

DO NOT buy a golf, bouncy car and every spanner in the country has one and thinks they are all it because they have one. Way over priced and they fall to pieces, cousin and a mate had one and here are the problem between them they had:
    Clutch went, gear box went, electric problem, engine over revving for no reason, shock problems, over wear on tires

Are you looking to buy a hatch? if so I wouldnt buy anything else than an Audi A3, cool car and not many people have them. GF has one(selling for 10k if your interested?) and they are class, come in a 1.6 model as well and you can pick up a second hand one(GF ones) in perfect condition with all the extras that you pay a fortune for on a Golf because every muppet is trying to buy it as well.

One other thing, why you not looking at diesel? petrol is gone!! I brought a little can down to local garage at weekend for petrol for lawnmower and it cost me over 5 euro to 3/4 fill it. I was in shock, thank god I have a diesel.

In case your wondering I have a 1.9TDI Passat 130 Bhp and is a great car to drive!!

oh yeah dont buy a A4 or Passat in a 1.6, too heavy a car for that engine so will be sluggish, if looking at A4 or Passat dont buy anything else than a diesel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mloc123 wrote:
    When did the phrase 'Hot Hatch' lose its meaning? I see it thrown around these days on 'sporting' 1.2s!! A 1.6 mk4 Golf is far from hot, its not even luke warm.
    Is that why there everywhere in this world. I don't see much hatchs better than the golf tbh:rolleyes:

Plug wrote:
    Is that why there everywhere in this world. I don't see much hatchs better than the golf tbh:rolleyes:

A3

Golf is for everyone that has no imagination so just buys what there neighbour has!! the petrol models are woefully bad, underpowered and slow. At least the 1.9Tdi has a bit of poke but then you spend half the time trying to sit in the drivers seat as you are bounced from one side to the other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Plug wrote:

You're missing my point, the Golf IS a lovely hatch but it isn't a hot hatch, even the GTIs with the exception of the 20vt shouldn't be called a hot hatch, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

colm_mcm wrote:
    I reckon the current Focus saloon is a great looking car, much better looking than the 5 door
    000472DD-4826-1255-81FF80BFB6FA0000.jpg20051007070834S4018.jpg

It is very similar to the S40
    Fair point i completely overlooked the current saloon model i was thinking of the older model saloon which looked awful. Will have to look into the current saloon and check out the interior etc. is the saloon as good to drive as the older hatch model?

Drove a 307 a while back and was crap clutch was way too light, steering felt loose and the breaks seemed to be an on off switch :(

Fair point i completely overlooked the current saloon model i was thinking of the older model saloon which looked awful. Will have to look into the current saloon and check out the interior etc. is tha saloon as good to drive as the older hatch model? Drove a 307 a while back and was crap clutch was way too light, steering felt loose and the breaks seemed to be an on off switch :(

Clutch and gearbox in all Peugoet's are all terrible.

mloc123 wrote:
    You're missing my point, the Golf IS a lovely hatch but it isn't a hot hatch, even the GTIs with the exception of the 20vt shouldn't be called a hot hatch
    What is a hot hatch then? The R32 perhaps, theres nothing wrong with the gti.

The 2litre mK4 Gti? Makes 110Bhp I think? Not exactly Hot or fast, its more a family car aimed at twenty something year olds with new kids who want to hold on to a bit of their youth. The 20VT are better, not by much tho. No 'hot hatch' should be a 5 door imo.

Golf gti=200hp. Next years gti=230hp:eek: Most gti's are 3 door, I only saw one 5 door model.

• Advertisement

The MK5 Gti is 200Bhp, its a 20vt tho' isn't it? The Mk4 Gti was a 2litre and the Gti T was a 20vt that made either 150Bhp or 180Bhp, all of these except the (Mk4 2litre) are indeed hot hatches imo. Anyway my original point was a 1.6 Golf is not a hot hatch.

What was the 1.6? 105hp:confused:

1.6 is about 105 alright, nice car if you get the sportline or highline but I'd imagine they are dog slow.

My father has a 1.4 sportline golf 2001, OK its not the fastest car going but for a 1.4 it does go quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Plug wrote:
    My father has a 1.4 sportline golf 2001, OK its not the fastest car going but for a 1.4 it does go quick.

I had the same car, and found it very sluggish - even for a 1.4. I'd say there are a lot more nippier hatchbacks in that engine size around.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Audi A3, cool car and not many people have them. GF has one.

Remember seeing it looked really well kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

sweet. needs lowering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it's quite funny in BigNelly's post that the Golf gets slagged because it gives so much trouble and it's driven by pretencious oiks (paraphrasing here!)

The solution: Buy an Audi A3. how does this solve either problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think it's quite funny in BigNelly's post that the Golf gets slagged because it gives so much trouble and it's driven by pretencious oiks (paraphrasing here!)

Yep, I noticed that too and found it strange. LMAO at the slating the Golf received though
    Big Nelly wrote:
    DO NOT buy a golf, bouncy car and every spanner in the country has one and thinks they are all it because they have one

• Advertisement

In Fairness Golf's aren't the last word in reliability, but an A3 is hardly any better.

At least no one has suggested the Octavia yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

colm_mcm wrote:

I find it funny that the A3 is based on the golf(or the other way around,which ever way you want to look at it!)with large portions being exactly the same. same engine,gearbox etc.....

somewhere earlier slated the golf and sai he would buy nothing other than an A3?!!!!

That's the sort of person who buys an A4 over a Passat

colm_mcm wrote:
    That's the sort of person who buys an A4 over a Passat
    well you have quite a memory on you colm, don't you!!!or is that just a really unintended dig at me?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

did you look into the jap imports down the docks?? very high spec interiors my mate got a civic 1.5 v-tec saloon it has leather air con alloys and very low milage was cheap enough though bout 9grand i think ill have ta ask him

natnif wrote:
    well you have quite a memory on you colm, don't you!!!or is that just a really unintended dig at me?!!!

I knew what I was doing! Any luck on the new car front?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

mloc123 wrote:
    1.6 is about 105 alright, nice car if you get the sportline or highline but I'd imagine they are dog slow.

How fast does it need to be?

Work moved to about 10 Min walk from my home (was a risk of moving accross the city was looking at audi 1.8T's) so screw paying afor a car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Big Nelly wrote:
    Are you looking to buy a hatch? if so I wouldnt buy anything else than an Audi A3, cool car and not many people have them. GF has one(selling for 10k if your interested?) and they are class, come in a 1.6 model as well and you can pick up a second hand one(GF ones) in perfect condition with all the extras that you pay a fortune for on a Golf because every muppet is trying to buy it as well.

Don't tell me you still have it for sale??:eek:
    I thought someone would have it snapped up long ago as it sounded so good;)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    I knew what I was doing! Any luck on the new car front?

I decided not to bother!!just sorted my cynos and bought new wheels!!I drove an A4 in cork and it was a dog so I figured I'd hold onto mine.next year I might get something else next year, but I might start a "project" car as well...

Advertisement