Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

May HAVE to buy a car soon :(

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How fast does it need to be?

Well the argument back then(this topic must be months old now) was that the 1.6 Mk4 golf is a "hot hatch", Hot hatches should be capable of a sub 10 second 0-60 imo. The mk4 golf is far from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

gyppo wrote:
    Don't tell me you still have it for sale??:eek:
    I thought someone would have it snapped up long ago as it sounded so good;)

Gone months ago now, when someone pulls up a thread that was created over 4 months ago there is alot of confusion with some people

Oh yeah just looking at the usual stupid comments from the people who think the Audi/VW/Skoda are all the same. Do we have to go into this cr*p again? Before making comments why don't you actually check into the truth and then post on here instead of listening to Jimmy down the pub that told you all the cars are the same.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Plug wrote:
    Golf gti=200hp. Next years gti=230hp:eek: Most gti's are 3 door, I only saw one 5 door model.

230Bhp to throw you out the window as you are bounced all around the place, oh yes please let me buy one now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

If its front wheel drive the torque steer will be a bitch and will hopefully not have the issue the 3.2 V6 Alfa 147 has putting the power down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Big Nelly wrote:
    Oh yeah just looking at the usual stupid comments from the people who think the Audi/VW/Skoda are all the same. Do we have to go into this cr*p again? Before making comments why don't you actually check into the truth and then post on here instead of listening to Jimmy down the pub that told you all the cars are the same.....:rolleyes:

Well, we must all be wrong and you are right then so.
    Audi A3 = VW Golf = Seat Leon == NOT True. OK so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

mloc123 wrote:
    You're missing my point, the Golf IS a lovely hatch but it isn't a hot hatch, even the GTIs with the exception of the 20vt shouldn't be called a hot hatch, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hatch

from your own link

"The design most often considered to have started the hot hatch genre is the 1977 Volkswagen Golf GTI,"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

L5 wrote:
    from your own link

"The design most often considered to have started the hot hatch genre is the 1977 Volkswagen Golf GTI,"

:rolleyes:

The 1977 Golf GTI was actually a very slow car by todays standards. However it was very rapid compared to Hillman hunters or 1.3 Cortinas.

A 2007 Golf GTI is quicker, but the performace gap between it and many family cars is not nearly so dramatic, so it finds it harder to justify itself as being a "hot hatch".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Big Nelly wrote:
    230Bhp to throw you out the window as you are bounced all around the place, oh yes please let me buy one now

The suspension on the GTI is set up very different from the standard cars. The current GTI has been widely praised for its handling.

Big Nelly wrote:
    ....Oh yeah just looking at the usual stupid comments from the people who think the Audi/VW/Skoda are all the same. Do we have to go into this cr*p again? Before making comments why don't you actually check into the truth and then post on here instead of listening to Jimmy down the pub that told you all the cars are the same.....:rolleyes:

Not identical but theres a lot of common parts. Same basic engines etc. So reliability and such has to be very similar.

maidhc wrote:
    The 1977 Golf GTI was actually a very slow car by todays standards. However it was very rapid compared to Hillman hunters or 1.3 Cortinas.

A 2007 Golf GTI is quicker, but the performace gap between it and many family cars is not nearly so dramatic, so it finds it harder to justify itself as being a "hot hatch".

I don't agree the difference is just as dramatic. The 2007 GTI is a quick car compared to the majority of family cars. What you are saying might have been true with the Golf Mrk III GTI's but with the current model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big Nelly wrote:

phoenixjfkSupSah353.jpg
    lawtonfoleymotorsAIRGol538.jpg

phoenixjfkSupSah356.jpg
    morrisseyPasRED597.jpg

Spot the difference. One is a VW Passat 1.9 TDi 130bhp and the other is a Skoda Superb 1.9 TDi 130bhp. Not much difference to me.

VAG own Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat. It makes financial sence to share parts across the range. Each brand has different styling though.

I don't agree the difference is just as dramatic. The 2007 GTI is a quick car compared to the majority of family cars. What you are saying might have been true with the Golf Mrk III GTI's but with the current model.

Maybe, I have never driven a golf gti, but when you consider the mid range performance of most common rail diesels appearing in Passats/Avensi/Mondeos I can only assume a GTI wouldn't exactly blow you away.

maidhc wrote:
    Maybe, I have never driven a golf gti, but when you consider the mid range performance of most common rail diesels appearing in Passats/Avensi/Mondeos I can only assume a GTI wouldn't exactly blow you away.

The comparision was "family cars". Do "most" families hardly have common rail turbo diesels. Also if your only comparision is straightline speed then you are missing the point of performance car. Theres the brakes, steering feel, suspension and chassis tweaks. Its also how the performance is delivered, high rev's or high torque makes a big difference to the driving experience.

Also if your only comparision is straightline speed then you are missing the point of performance car. Theres the brakes, steering feel, suspension and chassis tweaks. Its also how the performance is delivered, high rev's or high torque makes a big difference to the driving experience.

As I said I have never driven a golf gti, so I can't comment on its characteristics, but it is still 90% golf, unlike, say, a proper sportscar in the realms of an Rx8 or Mx5.

Then go drive a 2007 GTI then then a 1.4 and tell us if you think they are 90% the same. ;)

Advertisement