Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger204

Options
  • 11-06-2006 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Looking For Your Views On The 204 Rifle,
    I Have One With A While Shot A Few Foxes With It But A Few Also
    Tend To Get Up And Do A Runner.i Had A 220 Swift,what A Gun Sorry Now I Sold It For 204,it Seems To Lack That Bit Of Killing Power
    Out Past 200 Yards.im Now Thinking Of A 223 But Getting The Right
    Gun With A Rifle Twist To Suit Most Bullits Can Be A Bit Of Bother
    Gun Dealers Dont Know What Your Talking About When Your Talking
    Fifle Twist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's a thread about the .204 from ages ago-
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=264187

Oh, and turn off the CAPS LOCK key and Boards won't render your text with All Capital First Letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

caos wrote:
    Looking For Your Views On The 204 Rifle,
    I Have One With A While Shot A Few Foxes With It But A Few Also
    Tend To Get Up And Do A Runner.i Had A 220 Swift,what A Gun Sorry Now I Sold It For 204,it Seems To Lack That Bit Of Killing Power
    Out Past 200 Yards.im Now Thinking Of A 223 But Getting The Right
    Gun With A Rifle Twist To Suit Most Bullits Can Be A Bit Of Bother
    Gun Dealers Dont Know What Your Talking About When Your Talking
    Fifle Twist

Would you not think of going back to the 220 Swift when you had one previously and were happy with it? why change a good thing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I don't see how if "killing power" is the issue, .223 will be the solution for a .204 replacement.

civdef wrote:
    I don't see how if "killing power" is the issue, .223 will be the solution for a .204 replacement.

Well. at closer range you would have more stopping power with the .204 but you would be using a 32gr bullet that will travel @3703fps that will drop down to 2531fps @ 300yds but because it is a lighter bullet than the .223 it is far more subceptable to wind.
    The .204 ruger was introduced in 2004 and is based on the .222 Rem Mag and is more or less the same round apart from Its loading that produces a higher MV than the .223 but only by about 200fps approx with a 32gr bullet when using a 50gr bullet the diference is not much.
    There is a far wider range of ammo for the .223 so you might be as well going for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

220 swift = €2 a bullet
    223 = .45c a bullet

for people who like target practice a swift can be expensive to keep up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

220 swift = €2 a bullet
    223 = .45c a bullet

for people who like target practice a swift can be expensive to keep up with

22lr = .12c
    .177 air pellet = 0.02c

:D

.22wmr = 24c or 38c :( but would like to see a lr make a one shot kill at 120 yards on a fox

That's not what a 22lr is for psitta, though given that mine will hold a group of less than one inch at a hundred yards, get 20 yards closer to the fox and it would do it some damage. Don't know if it's got enough kinetic energy to be humane though (though since it's human-lethal range is quoted as a mile, I'd rather not be the fox). But you did say target practise, not hunting :D

yeah fair enough just that as you know was considering switchin my magnum to a lr and when i saw that fox drop i knew damn well i made the right decision

.22wmr ftw honestly though think this has to be the best all round rimfire round obviously the others have their perks but this does it for me

To be honest psitta, I don't think there is a "best" round, rimfire or centerfire. Horses for courses and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

on a fully suported shot i would have a good feelin about seein the fox stay put with a .22lr

yeah i know lads that do it the whole time with an lr but not at 150 yards ive only tried out to 120 and they well it just dropped and wouldn't hesitate at 150 if the condtions were right

yeah i know there isnt a bet but everyone has there favourtie ;) mine just happens to cost me an extra €8 per box :(

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

I had a .204 for 6 months, hated it:confused: , could not get it to shoot straight, only with the 32 gr, the 40s would key hole:eek: .

The 32s did not put a fox down right a lot of the time.

Changed to a .223, have not looked back since, FANTASTIC CALIBER.;)

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 caos

maglite wrote:
    on a fully suported shot i would have a good feelin about seein the fox stay put with a .22lr

and thats why so many foxes are lamp shy, people shooting foxes with
    under power rifles.stick to rabbits with 22lr thats all there fit for...
    caos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 caos

Keelan wrote:
    I had a .204 for 6 months, hated it:confused: , could not get it to shoot straight, only with the 32 gr, the 40s would key hole:eek: .

Keelan.

i think your spot on there keelan i had a 204, i hit a good few foxes with it
    but it just didnt have the killing power not at any good distance..
    caos

Keelan wrote:

Keelan.

100%:D
    .223 is a great all rounder. if you want to reach out alot farther then go for the swiftie. but it will cost you.. well worth it dough .220Swift is one awsome round !

Advertisement