Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and what surfboard to buy

Options
  • 11-06-2006 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Complete beginner. Had two lessons. Wondering what surfboard to buy and where to buy it. Are there any online stores that you would recommend?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Skateboard-IRL

litirspam wrote:
    Complete beginner. Had two lessons. Wondering what surfboard to buy and where to buy it. Are there any online stores that you would recommend?
    Thanks in advance.

Hey litirspam,
    Depending on where you surf, i would suggest buying either at a surfshop on the coast or online as i have been checking prices in Bundoran compared with dublin and in Bundoran you could save maybe 100 -150 on a board compared to dublin. Plus the guys in bundoran are expert surfer and can get the best board for you depending on your height, experience and type of board you would like, e.g. longboard , shorty.....
    To be honest i would start on a second hand board for beginning and you don't have to worry about taking lumps out of the board then!!
    Waterford is also cheap, go to Tramore to the "Prom" theres a surfshop there called T-bay Surf - http://www.surftbay.com/ ;)
    Anyway happy hunting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nodisco

Depending on your size and weight, you should generally try a board thats about 12" bigger than you are tall. BIC make a 7'3" and a 7'9" mini mal board that are very popular with beginners - and with good reason. They are durable, easy to paddle and easy to learn on. Don't make the mistake of buying a shortboard (if you want to go that route) until you are comfortably able to surf a longer board - otherwise you will struggle and end up with an awkward style.

Check the surf shops for second hand boards - Outer point in Sligo, Fitzgeralds surfworld in Bundoran or post an ad in a shop - I think the great outdoors in dublin have an ad board for buy/sell surf gear.

Tip - get a friend to learn with you - you'll improve a lot faster and won't have to do all the driving!
    good luck

Advertisement