Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayfever, Cycling and Masks

Options
  • 11-06-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi, first post in this forum :O I wasn't sure if this should go into an existing thread ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054937261
    ) regarding a similar topic with masks and pollution...so I just started a new thread...hope that's not a problem :O

Anyway, recently I got a bike, and I was planning on using it at least semi regularly for the odd gander up the Dublin Mountains and such...the only problem is I get bad hayfever...REALLY bad hayfever....sinuses exploding and eyes popping out of your head and chasing them down Three Rock at top speed and mashing them back in before they get away sort of hayfever...it runs in the family, and anything I've ever tried to take to alleviate my symptoms have had negligible effects....anyway, this is a problem when you want to go cycling up the mountains...life is barely tolerable sitting inside in my suburban prison, sneezing every five seconds, but it turns into some kind of Dante-esque nightmare hell once I get past the M50 and neem up the hillocks...

So anyway, I was considering getting a mask, to see if that would be any help in alleviating the symptoms, and perhaps allowing me to gain some semblance of physical fitness too...has anyone with pollen allergies tried masks like this, and what kind of results do they get? Also, the thread referred to was talking mainly about commuting, is it noticeably harder to breathe using these masks doing something strenuous like mashing up a mountain, as opposed to commuting to the oifig every day?

Many thanks in advance <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have you tried visiting a GP with regards to your hayfever? There may be immunotherapy treatments that could help you.

I've heard of hayfever masks though I haven't tried them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Just done Cork to Galway,

One of the cyclists has a fierce reaction to Hayfever. He had gone for some alternative therapies as opposed to pharmaceutical medicines and he was happy with his results. A significant reducion in discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Yeah, I've tried practically every treatment under the sun, and pretty much nothing's ever worked, so naturally I'm a bit sceptical, though I haven't tried immunotherapy...what I do know of it is that it's a long term treatment right? Which isn't much use if I'm planning on cycling in the short term...though I'll look into it...does anyone know anyone who's tried this, or tried it themselves...any good??

Anyway I'm going to go into town tomorrow..see if I can get a decent mask...I've been checking the internet and there are a few that look good, if they perform as the manufacturers claim they do :O, see if I can get them in town rather than having to order them on the internet ( I just woke up the other day, and was like " I want to go cycling...RIGHT NOW"..if you understand the feeling, so hence my grasshopperesque lack of patience :D )

Anyway, I'll report back and tell you if they work or what not <3
    cheerz <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI, I recently bought the Respro Sportsta mask and I havent noticed much if any breathing difficulties, but my commute is only about 10k each way. Im not sure how true the marketing spiel is about the hayfever but I would have no problem recommending them.

And I chose the sportsta because the valves are supposed to be 'easier on the airwaves'
    http://www.bikemagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt//UTN/57823/last/1/V/1/SP/

and later I will purchase techno filters as the ex-respro employee recommends!
    R

Advertisement