Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ps3

• 11-06-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

TBH I havent really a clue what the new console can do:confused: I hear all these kind of stuff like wifi and all nerd crap like that, could someone please tell me the lowdown of the new machine in normal english;) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

In a nutshell it will be a €630 Xbox360 with different exclusive games and a motion sensitive controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Enough nutty talk!!!

PS3 is technically superior and it supports blu-ray. The question is though....What will the games belike? Even with its more advanced abilities if the games aren't there then it will be a flop.

Personally though I suspect that they will have a better games range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Cause they've really shown that so far :rolleyes:

And he didn't want any of the nerdy stuff.
    the first wave of ps3 games (which still have 6 months or so of development left) look better then the first wave of 360 games... so i'd say they have shown that so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Plug wrote:
    TBH I havent really a clue what the new console can do:confused: I hear all these kind of stuff like wifi and all nerd crap like that, could someone please tell me the lowdown of the new machine in normal english;) Thanks

Games will essentially be similar to the standard of Xbox 360 games, and if you haven't seen a 360 running, then it's essentially a similar jump forward from the PS2 as the PS2 was from the PS1. If you preferred PS2's games to Xbox's then chances are that will continue to an extent with PS3 and X360, all the usual suspects will be back as well as many new ones on both machines. A noticeable exception is Grand Theft Auto 4 which will be released on both machines at the same time, so no advantage for Playstation there.

The hardware:

Blu Ray - this is the big technical difference with the xbox 360, it's a new type of disc that for one allows much more data, which will allow games to be bigger(not that games makers will necessarily use all this space). Also, it will play a new movie format intended to replace DVD Movies called Blu Ray Movies, which will look stunning if you have a High Definition TV, or exactly the same if you don't.

Wi Fi - If you have broadband then your provider may have given you a wireless modem, this allows any machine in your house, typically a laptop, to go online without being wired up. If you don't have a wireless modem, you can buy one, or alternatively the PS3 can be hooked up to the internet the old fashioned way using cable. Online is expected to be important in next gen games so expect to use this feature. The €500 version lacks wi-fi but you can get it in an add-on.

Hard Drive - rather than memory cards, an included hard drive gives you effectively infinite space for saving game data. However, this space will get eaten up much much more quickly if you take to downloading movies and music. €500 version has a 20 gigabyte hard drive while the €600 version has a 60 gigabyte one. Hard to say how much space will really be necessary until we see just what downloadables Sony have to offer. My xbox 360 came with a 20 gig hard drive and it filled up after I downloaded about 15 game demos and a dozen or so movie trailers - but I simply deleted all the ones I didn't want anymore and I'm good to go again, doubtful I'll ever need much more space than that to be honest.

The Controller - Probably the most noticeable difference when you actually start playing games, the PS3 will have a controller that looks much like the PS2 one, but it's wireless and it contains motion sensing, which many games are likely to use in different ways. The only example Sony have shown is an Aeroplane game where you tilt the pad to tilt the plane. But the makers of Tekken have said their looking at having a shake of the controller break free from holds for example. Every big game maker have said they've ideas for the controller that no doubt we'll see over time, there's lots of potential. The down side is the pad doesn't rumble anymore, hopefully it proves to be a good trade off. Another point about controllers - it supports 4 controllers at once instead of 2, which is really about time the Playstation did that!

Memory Card Reader - the €600 version will read memory cards of the type you might use in your phone or camera - handy for transferring saves to a friend's house or viewing pics from your camera on your tv. There are also USB ports on both versions so you can use standard USB keys for the same effect if you don't want to pay for this.

Linux - this is a fully functional operating system that the PS3 can load up instead of a game, which will likely have a web browser, media player and such standard functions. Few details have been released about it but it'll definitely be in there in some shape or form. They have confirmed it will come with developer tools so expect to see a lot of free downloadable home-made PS3 games on the web sooner or later. Also the Sony Web Browser looked very slick and it's compatible with standard PC keyboards if you're that way inclined too.

HDMI - this is a new type of connector to a tv basically - the 600 version has it and the 500 version doesn't(nor can it ever be upgraded to have it). You get the same high definition picture through a component cable though(which both versions will support), so you really won't notice the difference unless you're very obsessive about these things. Make sure to know what connectors your tv supports if you get a HDTV though! One big question mark is the possibility that Blu Ray movies will only work with HDMI, it's a possibility still being discussed, but it won't be an issue till 2010 at the earliest.

I think I've covered everything! If you own a PSP it can be used as a controller or extra screen in some PS3 games - again the possibilities are really limitless, the example they gave was using a PSP as a wing mirror in a Formula 1 game, but I'm sure there'll be far more interesting uses than that over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Plug wrote:
    FIFA will look good on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks for that steviec;) I now understand a ps3! Oh....one more thing, what do you think is better, the E500 or the E600 ps3?

Plug wrote:
    Thanks for that steviec;) I now understand a ps3! Oh....one more thing, what do you think is better, the E500 or the E600 ps3?

Depends on your needs, if you just want a games machine get the 500 version, if you're going to be using it as an entertainment centre type device, downloading movies and music onto it, then the dearer one is probably the best.

Oh, assuming they actually bother releasing the 500 euro version in Ireland, which I don't think has been confirmed yet. A lot of companies seem to think Irish people have bottomless pockets.

Maybe if they don't release the E500 ps3 here the other one might go down in price:confused:

Plug wrote:
    Maybe if they don't release the E500 ps3 here the other one might go down in price:confused:

Not before Christmas anyway, we might see the price drop next year though.

Yeah I might wait till next year then cause the only reason i'm getting it is gta4 and gt5.

• Advertisement

Plug wrote:
    Yeah I might wait till next year then cause the only reason i'm getting it is gta4 and gt5.

I wouldn't rule out an xbox 360 in that case - GTA4 will be out on both at the same time and I have a feeling Microsoft's Forza Motorsport 2 could prove the better game than GT5 unless Polyphony really get their arse in gear.

I think a key thing will be if GTA does anything with the motion sensing controller that really enhances gameplay, best to wait and see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference because of Blu-ray. According to a podcast on 1up.com, a Rockstar rep told them that the two versions wouldn't necessarily be identical. And also, the vaunted downloadable content agreement with MS may not actually extent to GTA4 at all!

To answer Plug's original question - the simplest take is probably that it'll be a continuation of what your PS2 was, but now it'll also be the most powerful system available too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I know that's what MS has been saying, but according to 1up, a Rockstar rep wasn't so comfortable confirming it would be for GTA4 specifically, and again, suggested the two versions wouldn't necessarily be the exact same either. It's possible the PS3 version could have other extras also, on-disc or downloadable. I guess we'll see next October..so far away! :(

I'm more of a playstation person...I can see people selling the xbox 360 when the ps3 comes out. I played it in a friends house and didn't like the controller and what a gay bunch of games they have out for it:rolleyes:

gay?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    gay?
    As in me?:mad: But yeah the games are crap so far I think:p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

tman wrote:
    FIFA will look good on it.

I dont like saying it but... LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LookingFor wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference because of Blu-ray. According to a podcast on 1up.com, a Rockstar rep told them that the two versions wouldn't necessarily be identical. And also, the vaunted downloadable content agreement with MS may not actually extent to GTA4 at all!

rockstar have been very vague with their answers regarding gta4 on ps3/360. it does seem to be the case that the "exclusive rockstar content" isn't for gta4, but we can't be sure as of yet. rumours suggest that the content ties into "another rockstar license" (table tennis, anyone?), but time will tell...
    Ciaran500 wrote:

yeah i aint trusting microsoft tbh... they keep saying stuff that gets countered by rockstar themselves...

Advertisement