Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Yeast

• 11-06-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey All,

anybody got any idea where I could find some fresh yeast in Dublin? All I can find is the dry stuff, which I do not like at all.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I get mine at my local Four Star Pizza. They usually don't even charge me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

The Dublin yeast company, a tiny little cake shop run by a guy in his 80's opposite Trinity. =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shabadu wrote:
    The Dublin yeast company, a tiny little cake shop run by a guy in his 80's opposite Trinity. =)
    From what I remember though from when I went in there once, is that he only has fresh yeast available on certain days. I'm fairly certain he didn't have it at the start of the week, only from Wednesday p.m. onwards, or something strange like that. It might be best to try and find a phone number and check up first.

It's an amazing place though. I had always assumed that the "Dublin Yeast Co." sign was just something left over from days of old, and that they only sold cake decorations these days, until someone put me right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep still there AFAIK. Two old brothers . Used to pick up yeast myself there. You need tog o in on Monday or Tuesday. Superquinn would also sell it at one stage if you asked them very very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

is_that_so wrote:
    You need to go in on Monday or Tuesday.
    I knew it was something odd like that, but I got it completely backwards somehow. Anyway, whenever I happen to be in Dublin and think about going in, it just so happens it's always on a day when he doesn't have any in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

I am almost 99% sure I saw fresh yeast in the chiller cabinet of that new fancy food store on Exchequer St- Fallon and Byrne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tuxa

Very hard to find fresh yeast in Dublin this days.
    I already went to Four Star Pizza and they could not sell me a piece. I went to SuperQuinn and was told they don't make their breads there. Also called few Health Shops and nothing
    the only hope is Irish Yeast Co. however they only open from 11:30 to 1:30 which are my working hours.
    Having a really hard time to get fresh Yeast.
    If any one has any other idea please let me know.

Regards,
    :o
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tuxa, you put the exact same post in two threads, so I deleted one of them, you'll get the same answer regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Try some of the Polski Skleps on Talbot St., the Lithuanian shop in Moore St. Mall, the Hungarian shop beside Cineworld on Parnell St. (I know they definitely have it, it's called "Friss élesztő", €0.50 for 50g); they tend to stock fresh yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

gagalina wrote: »
    Hey All,

anybody got any idea where I could find some fresh yeast in Dublin? All I can find is the dry stuff, which I do not like at all.

thanks

Depends on how much your looking for.
    Small quantities will be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

La Bottega di Paolo (in the Italian Quarter place round the back of the Jervis Centre, think it's called Blooms Lane) had a sign in the window saying they had fresh yeast in stock when I walked by over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

MzFusspot wrote: »
    La Bottega di Paolo (in the Italian Quarter place round the back of the Jervis Centre, think it's called Blooms Lane) had a sign in the window saying they had fresh yeast in stock when I walked by over the weekend :)

I've been in there on 3 separate occassions looking for it and they didn't have any:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm pretty sure someone posted before that you can buy it from the bakery section in Supperquinn.

Advertisement