Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my broadband connection to another computer

• 11-06-2006 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Feeling a little stupid. I have a broadband connection to my computer which has been working perfectly for some years. . I have now got a different computer and want to change the connection to this computer. First step. I remove the adapter card from the old to the new computer. Then I plug the cable from the wall socket (broadband line) into the new computer. (Both computers are Dell Dimensions). What do I do next? I switch on new computer and am told there is new hardware (the card). I am then told that the new hardware is ready to work. I try to configure the broadband connection from Internet Explorer and from Network Connection. But I do not succeed. Can anyone from this excellent forum help me on the simple task of getting Broadband to work on the new computer as it did on the old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

EamonX1 wrote:
    Feeling a little stupid. I have a broadband connection to my computer which has been working perfectly for some years. . I have now got a different computer and want to change the connection to this computer. First step. I remove the adapter card from the old to the new computer. Then I plug the cable from the wall socket (broadband line) into the new computer. (Both computers are Dell Dimensions). What do I do next? I switch on new computer and am told there is new hardware (the card). I am then told that the new hardware is ready to work. I try to configure the broadband connection from Internet Explorer and from Network Connection. But I do not succeed. Can anyone from this excellent forum help me on the simple task of getting Broadband to work on the new computer as it did on the old.

If you are using Ethernet to connect to your broadband router then you shouldn't need to do any further configuration for your connection.

Is your Ethernet card working correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm a little confused by your post.
    EamonX1 wrote:
    Then I plug the cable from the wall socket (broadband line) into the new computer.
    Do you mean you are plugging a cable from the back of the computer directly into the phone socket in the wall???:confused:
    Where is the broadband modem? or is it an internal modem (the adapter card you're referring to)?
    Who is you're ISP (Eircom, UTV, BT etc..)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Hi all. I have a similar question and thought I should include it here. Hope no one minds. I am doing up a pc for parents. It runs windows 2000 and I want to connect it to my broadband to do some updates. How do you set up broadband on windows 2000 sp4? There is no wizard or mention of broadband. I have a prestige 600 series modem.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

litirspam wrote:
    Hi all. I have a similar question and thought I should include it here. Hope no one minds. I am doing up a pc for parents. It runs windows 2000 and I want to connect it to my broadband to do some updates. How do you set up broadband on windows 2000 sp4? There is no wizard or mention of broadband. I have a prestige 600 series modem.
    Thanks.
    If the modem and your parents pc have ethernet (LAN) connections then just connect the modem to the pc and away you go.
    If you have to use USB then just install the modem using the CD that came with it. Your BB username/password are stored in the modem so you shouldn't have to enter them.
    You'll also have to "turn off" the dialup connections in internet properties if your parents use dialup.

Advertisement