Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Info On Volkswagon Passat 2000 ,1.8petrol

Options
  • 11-06-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi
    Can Anyone Help Me , A Guy I Know Is Trying To Sell Me His Vw Passat For 6500eur , Its Got 95000 On The Clock And Hasnt Been Serviced In 3 Years ,asides From A Pre Nct ,probably Oil Changes 2 , Its Just Passed The Nct , But My Current Car Did So With Cracked Brake Disks .
    The Battery Is Also Bad .
    Can Any One Tell Me Common Problem S With The 2000- 1.8 Passat
    I Heard Its Hard On Petrol .
    The Timing Belt Has Never Been Changed .
    Bascilly I Want To Know Should I Buy A Passat At All?
    What Reliable Cars Can Be Recommended For A High Miles/bad Roads Driver?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ASTA20 wrote:
    My friend's trying to offload his car on me.
    It's ****.
    It's ****.
    It's ****.
    It's so very very ****.
    My god it's ****.
    It's ****
    Why should I buy it

I'm thinking you shouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sound like a car that has been neglected.

Neglect = problems = loadsa €€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The milage is 30 mpg if you dont use concret shoes. I would'nt panic about lack of servicing as long as the oil/filter has been changed. Just get a full transfusion of fresh fluids done asap.

Belts need changing at about 60,000 I think (to be safe) If the belt has been changed it'll be written on the belt cover (usually the milage is marked ie 56k or similair). If it really has'nt been changed then tell him to change it and then you'll buy it for 4000 and not a penny more.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ASTA20 wrote:
    Hi
    Can Anyone Help Me , A Guy I Know Is Trying To Sell Me His Vw Passat For 6500eur , Its Got 95000 On The Clock And Hasnt Been Serviced In 3 Years ,asides From A Pre Nct ,probably Oil Changes 2 , Its Just Passed The Nct , But My Current Car Did So With Cracked Brake Disks .
    The Battery Is Also Bad .
    Can Any One Tell Me Common Problem S With The 2000- 1.8 Passat
    I Heard Its Hard On Petrol .
    The Timing Belt Has Never Been Changed .
    Bascilly I Want To Know Should I Buy A Passat At All?
    What Reliable Cars Can Be Recommended For A High Miles/bad Roads Driver?
    Thanks

Unfortunately this is all too common with some motorists, just keep driving it with no maintenance and then sell it on. It is usually the next owner then that pays the price for poor or no maintenance. Personally I would not touch this car not at that price anyway, it has the potential to be a money pit.

Here are a few for similar money:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=416983
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=400743

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

Thanks For Replies , But Does Any1 Really Know What Problems Come Up In Vw Passats Commonly ?
    And There Costs To Repair.
    Should I Stay Away From 1.8 Petrol Engines In General , If I Need Something Thats Economical .
    Which Engines Last Longer Diesiel Or Petrol Or Are They Both The Same .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Go to www.honestjohn.co.uk and it will give you a run down on what to avoid and check. From your description, it sound like its been badly treated, and far too much to take on for that price. The 1.8 is an ok motor, but will be hard to sell on as the irish market only realy likes big cars with diesel engines. Timing belt changes are not cheap, and lack of maintainence will start to show very quickly through fuel economy, power, noise and part failure due to strain on the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ASTA20 wrote:
    Thanks For Replies , But Does Any1 Really Know What Problems Come Up In Vw Passats Commonly ?
    And There Costs To Repair.
    Should I Stay Away From 1.8 Petrol Engines In General , If I Need Something Thats Economical .

The 1.8 litre 20 valve VAG unit suffered from cylinder coil failure a few years ago and VW issued a recall to have the coils replaced. Make sure this work has been carried out.

The diesel is more durable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ASTA20 wrote:
    Yes, stay below 1.4 petrol or 1.8 diesel for economy.
    ASTA20 wrote:
    Diesel, with proper maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hasnt been serviced in three years?

Walk, no RUN away.

Those 1.8's have a habit of snapping belts early, stay well away.

Advertisement