Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent PC - need help and advice

Options
  • 12-06-2006 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Current parts are:

Antec P180 (3 X TriSpeed Fans)
    Intel D945GNT & D 930 CPU
    Technoware Pro Silent PSU
    ZALMAN CNPS 7700-AlCu
    Saphire X550
    Also WD Raptor & WD 250GB (dont know model)

Right I want to turn this from a quite PC into a silent PC. 2 reasons, 1. I had a Mac up to recently and loved it being so quite & 2. I can’t stand the whirling any longer.

So far I've notice 2 of the biggest offenders, the PSU and the X550. So I was planning on buy this PSU and this VGA to replace them. Both fanless alternatives.

I’ve been reasonably happy with the Zalman but would prefer a passive solution if possible (or maybe water cooled). However most passive coolers I’ve found so far seem to have issues when the board is in a tower case. (see here)

So that leaves me with the case fans. I’m currently looking at the AcoustiFan range to fit the P180 case layout. The HDD currently sit in the front bay with a 120mm fan blowing straight into them. Without it they get hot to the touch.

I’d be interested into what others have used or what they may suggest as alternatives. Again the main objective is silence (or as close as anyway). I wont be looking at clocking this rig in the near future or adding any new components.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That PSU will not run that system.........

The Enermax Liberty 400watt is silent and will run that system with no problems.......

I have some Nexus fans in my case, they are completely silent even at 12volts but they dont move a lot of air.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

why wont the PSU run that system? As for the suggested model I'd prefer a fanless unit. I've seen loads of "silent" PSU's which dont live up to the hype. Plus have you got a retailed within Ireland for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

if you want silent get a seasonice there the best for siulnce and there good to.........................

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That Pentium D930 is 2 prescott CPUs :eek:

They would melt that PSU:D

But seriously, if the system could run stable at all with that PSU, It would be under serious preassure and would probably fail very quickly......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

OK so then, that PSU is out. What about either of these 2?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.asp?q=phantom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

The 300w power supply would run your system without a bother on it, don't worry.

However, you'd might as well just buy a seasonic and have a bit of leg room for future upgrades. All the people over at SPCR say that these things are so quiet that there'd might as well not be a fan in them. And these are the people that buy Nexus fans and run them at 5volts (!).

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314765

For quieter fans I'd recommend some yate loon D12SL12s from silencio_777 on ebay.de. Can't beat the value really.

Advertisement