Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Crash, Help Please please

Options
  • 12-06-2006 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just bought a Phong II Case and for the time being I have just Migrated all the parts from my dell machine....

Now the Problem I am having is the machine will boot up but once that happens the system will just crash and hang up, No response whatso ever..

The only difference in the two cases is that there are 3 fans on the new case, to the one that was on the dell, Could my problem be that the power supply is not strong enough, or the Cpu is too hot??

Any help would be great because Im stuck with ideas at the minute..

Cheers

Daniel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DannyBZR

Can anyone help on this, I got the machine going this morning and I noticed the sec I put my memeory stick into the front of the machine that the whole thing crashs, Just freezes and will not respond to anything..

Could realy do with help on this as Im out of ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

What exactly did you change when migrating parts?

What exactly did you change when migrating parts?

The only thing that is different is the Floppy drive has been taken out and I have removed it from boot up, There are now 2 extra fans, there is also fan controllers on the front plus a firewire and speaker connection which are not connected.

There is an led display to show temp from a sensor in the case..

As soon as I put a usb near it, Crash, all freezes up..

ok, so you put a dell motherboard in the jeantech case, right? Did you encounter any difficulties doing that? That could be part of the problem there, afaik dell headers etc are proprietary and as such that could be causing problems

did you do a fresh reinstall of windows?

ok, so you put a dell motherboard in the jeantech case, right? Did you encounter any difficulties doing that? That could be part of the problem there, afaik dell headers etc are proprietary and as such that could be causing problems

did you do a fresh reinstall of windows?

Didnt do a fresh install of windows..

No real problems fitting it, Had to make a few hole so that the clamp for the Heatsink could be screwed down, I also re-did the thermal paste on the Heatsink and processer, other then that the only difference really was the power led was a smaller two prong connection which would still go into the original socket along with the HDD LED..... but the USB's on the front had the same connection as the old case so it fitted in the original place, I mean there are four USB's on the front of the new case compared to 2 on the last so I cant plug them all in...

I know this is prob not making a lot of sense..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

DannyBZR wrote:
    Didnt do a fresh install of windows..

No real problems fitting it, Had to make a few hole so that the clamp for the Heatsink could be screwed down, I also re-did the thermal paste on the Heatsink and processer.......

where did u make the holes?

make sure the heatsink is properly mounted, the motherboard is probally set to shut down if the cpu core tempeture rises above a set temp. it could be the heat sink is not properly and the cpu is reaching the preset temp. if so it will only get to the win logo or a bit byond before crashing.

Well can you attach a usb key to the usb ports at the back of the mother board? Also, download motherboard monitor to check the temps of the cpu (in case it's overheating as you suggested at the beginning) because when you plug in usb storage the cpu temp heats up and it could be that the cpu heatsink isn't fitting perfectly

poggy wrote:
    where did u make the holes?

make sure the heatsink is properly mounted, the motherboard is probally set to shut down if the cpu core tempeture rises above a set temp. it could be the heat sink is not properly and the cpu is reaching the preset temp. if so it will only get to the win logo or a bit byond before crashing.

The Holes where only in the case not in the Mother board, Last night I was getting a cut out from the Cpu because of a temp increase bu this morning it seems to be ok, Its booting up and running as normal...

Well can you attach a usb key to the usb ports at the back of the mother board? Also, download motherboard monitor to check the temps of the cpu (in case it's overheating as you suggested at the beginning) because when you plug in usb storage the cpu temp heats up and it could be that the cpu heatsink isn't fitting perfectly

I can attach USB to the back of the board alright seems to work fine.. Just the front, the sec you put in the USB it freezes, surely there couldnt be a heat increase that quickly, I mean litteraly talking the sec the USB key makes contact.

I have a Temp sensor is there a ideal location for this to get an accurate reading.. I would have thought near the Heatsink..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

make sure the usb conector is conected properly. eg ground to ground. ect could be a problem. not sure what else it could be.

• Advertisement

if it's the sec the usb makes contact it sounds like a short of some kind. would do as poggy says and check the connectors and wires.

Advertisement