Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public access to Baldonnel?

• 12-06-2006 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭

I saw on military.ie that there are some restored aricraft in Baldonnel. Is this till actually the case and is there access for members of the pulbic to see them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Tours can be arranged, ring up and ask is probably best bet, the number is in the phone book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

It's a pity the govt don't provide some funds to alllow the Air Corps to establish a proper (full time) aviation museum!

It would also be a great tourist attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

ring up 4037000,during work hrs,ask for mick whelan,he runs the tours,even wrote a book about military history,i will get ya his extension for ya tomorrow when im in work,but because of the nature of the base,the public cant just walk in,once its pre arranged there wil no problem at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

thanks, my wee 4 year old is mad about planes and helicopters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Pity they dont do the air shows there any more I used to love them when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Salthill is pretty good for a free show, though I heard this year's wasn't as good as previous ones.

The problem with the Air Corp museum is that you can't access it directly from the public road. Once they sort this out they'll be able to open it to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 CaptainSmith

Trust me, we are all working on it, i tink a guy runs sometin for heritage on some website, - www.historicalaviationireland.com - I love google, try him and he might have some more info.

Very hard to get in to the museum tho...

Chrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

his name is mick whelan,he wrote a book called the battle of jadoville,i just have to remember to knock up to him and get his extension for the few lads here that want it,he is the tour guide and very educated when it comes to military history,so my apologies lads,as for public access,it will never happen,ya wil never just be able to walk off the street and walk in,the museum is located beside a hanger which is used by helis,so health and safety is an issue too,but if ya ring him he is only too happy to obligue,many a school and a youth club has been entertained,even small groups too,its just due to the security of the camp and the nature of the airbase that the public will never be allowed enter freely ,even for us who work there entering the place can be an ordeal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Hello all,

Can anyone name some of the types of restored aircraft that are on display please? Would be interesting to know... i'm sure it's worth the visit regardless but it has to be better than the time when i was a kid that i was taken to (what was supposed to be) an aviation museum somewhere in the south of ireland and all they had was one old engine sitting out in the sun rusting away... that sucked. I'm glad i can't remember where it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Hi,

Anson Mk. XIX, DHC Chipmunk, Fouga Magister, Hunting Provost, Aluette, Wright Bros. replica and some other stuff like fire engine, AA guns and some "scrap" as well. There should be Marchetti Warrior and Gezelle /?/ in the near future as well. Miles Magister and D.H. Vampire T.55 are gone to new exhibition in Collins Barracks in Dublin... Hope I haven't forget something:confused:

check out message board on: www.irishairpics.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

even if you want just go to the main gate the guys are great they will sort something for you!

Advertisement