Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120mm fans, and controllers

Options
  • 12-06-2006 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm again trying to quiet down, and cool down my HD's in my case, a silverstone TJ01. The case is nice on the outside, but horrible to work with and crap at cooling.
    It origianlly came with two 60's at the front, and a rear 80. I've currently got a 92 on the back, and by tomorrow I should have a 120 on the front, at the loss of external access to the 3.5" bays, which I don't need. Hopefully I'll get a 120 on the back, but it's quite a narrow case, and it'll mean cutting into the back IO panel, which I'm not mad about doing.

My question about 120mm fans, are the Sharkoon Silent Eagles any good (they're the golf ball ones), or is it just a gimmick. I can't find any good reviews.

Second question, this case has a door, and I would like a fan controller. Is the Aerogate II any good, and those it protude much? Anyone care to tell me what fan controllers have a slim profile i.e., will work with a door.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Update, didn't realise there is an Aergate 3. It looks pretty slim, but not great in my opinion. Quite dear also.
    Silverstone, I never realised, have their own fan controller, which is tasty looking, but from what I've pieced together, is only automatic, it's got no manual controls. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Nexus or Papst. Panaflo if you want industry fans (no headers or rpm_sense pins on most I've seen).
    Look at the noise rating carefully, and compare it to the actual airflow and rpms.
    The design of the blades has as much to do with noise and performance as the size, speed and quality of the motor/bearings.

Sharkoon are for ricers.

Decided I'll make my own fan controller, but I'll have to come up with some 3 way switch, as I can't seem to find TPTT switches anywhere. It's just easier to make my own, because I wan't to incorporate a switch for CCFL's. Could look quite good actually, a few small LED's for status, looking forward to this actually.
    Where is a good source for Nexus's? I have a 92mm papst that may stay if decide not to put a 120 on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is there anywhere in Dublin that offer a half decent range of fan controllers? I had a look on HiTide and they have fook all either. Want one that sits in a 5 1/4 inch drive bay and controls 4 fans using knobs and doesn't have stupid alarms or displays if possible. I also want really good 120mm fans if possible at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

they are very overpriced but Mpalin can order one in from thier wonderful catalog (which I think be in the natural history museem for some items) !

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48350&criteria=fan%20controller&doy=13m6

• Advertisement

If all you want is a simple one, you'd be able to make one quite easy. Pick up a few variable resistors in peats. Quite easy, this site is a bit dated, but still, wires are wires; Fanbus.com
    The problem with mine is I have a door on my computer, so I need something flat. It's looking increasingly like I'll be doing a 5v or 7v to 12v with a DPDT switch. I can't seem to find a three state switch that'll be on - on - on, for 5v, 7v and 12. Anyone any ideas? Even a one way switch that I could cycle throught outputs, and use three leds per switch to tell me the state. Perhaps with a decade counter (4017 is it?), I could make something. Any ideas you on a post card please.

Don't use variable resistors.
    if they burn out you're fans are left in one of two states. On or off. On is just noisey. Off is possible hardware death.

I've been researching some slightly more advanced baybus designs. I need a guide and shopping list for making a PCB.
    Planning on 3-4 channels for fans and/or lighting circuits using PWMs to regulate.
    As a cheapo K.I.S.S. solution, use your 2-3 position throw switches to switch between 12V and a resistor-loaded/voltage divided supply (and maybe 0V if you want it).
    Var Reses are also insanely expensive for the power ratings suitable for a bank of 120mm fans + safety margin.

I currently have a DPDT switch worked up to do 5v to off to 12v for case fans. I've been trying all day to think of a solution to my problem, and the 4017 is not the answer,as it switches output, not input. This has some useful info on it,but no cigar. I shall work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

trying to get a 120mm fan in DUblin and its a nightmare ! anyone know other than peats where I might get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You should try getting a fan controller mate..

PC World do 120mm fans but I don't know what they are like.

• Advertisement

I've got a door, so I want something slim. If costs about half to build one, I will, it's the Tweaking/Modding forum afterall ;)
    This way I can be guaranteed it'll match my case.

I'm looking at a matrix orbital MX-6...or building my own one...or both.

Advertisement