Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

an american view of the world cup

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

johnos wrote:
    Sad.
    It's one thing being ignorant, it's another being proud of being ignorant.
    !

Your refering about the majority of replies in this thread yea?

CiaranC wrote:
    Theres no contradiction there, part of Ireland is in the UK. Ireland is a description of the Island.

Doesnt compare to calling a one nation tournament a world series.

What about the team from New york or London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

galwaydude wrote:
    Americans dont really get soccer. I am watching the american game on espn now and talk about the commentators been biased.

Some of these comments amused me.

Kasey kellar is referred to as the best goalkeeper in the world.If he was german,french,english he would be deemed world class. What a load of crock. He couldnt even get into an average spurs team of a few years ago. I think he left in a free to sign for a german side.

Bran mcbride world class , give me a break.He had a good season for fulham this year but yes thats fulham not arsenal or Man Utd.

Claudio reyna is another one who is been seen as the messiah.

I could go on but its just trivial stuff. They actually think they can finish second in the group. :D

Yeah but don't we all think "our" players are great. We all think Shay Given is "world class", as is Duff, we say that Dunne is one of the best centre backs in the Premiership. It's because we're fans, RTE commentators say the same too about Irish players.

And of course it's easy to make fun of the average American's lack of footie knowledge. The fact of the matter is that it ranks behind Baseball, American Football, Basketball and Ice Hockey in terms of popularity. I'm sure some folks in Pakistan and India would love to poke fun at the Irish over their lack of knowledge of cricket.

Regarding the ESPN commentators, they have been absolutely horrendous. Shockingly bad. I've been watching most of the games so far on Univision(spanish) it's been so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

FatherTed wrote:
    I'm sure some folks in Pakistan and India would love to poke fun at the Irish over their lack of knowledge of cricket.
    Ahem!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

hey but ireland are in the next cricket world cup.

What part of the US uyou in father ted. The US lost 3 nill and were shocking.

Fact shay given is better than kasey kellar.

The US have noone like duff,robbie keane,steve finnan.

The only players i would take from the US team today are reyna and donavan.

Still its nice that soccer has got some spotlight over here and i get sick of all the baseball games.Even the famed yankies red sox series has lost its apeal after the sox played them 12 times so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Im happy with the amount of coverage and only ad breaks when its half time, first time I have ever seen that on US telly :) Tommy Smyth does commentary on ESPN, funny to hear the thick Irish accent. "Tommy Smyth... with a Y"

The espn/espn 2 and abc coverage is very good. I havent heard tommy smyth yet in the wc thank god.The man hasnt a clue.

galwaydude wrote:
    hey but ireland are in the next cricket world cup.

What part of the US uyou in father ted. The US lost 3 nill and were shocking.

Fact shay given is better than kasey kellar.

The US have noone like duff,robbie keane,steve finnan.

The only players i would take from the US team today are reyna and donavan.

Still its nice that soccer has got some spotlight over here and i get sick of all the baseball games.Even the famed yankies red sox series has lost its apeal after the sox played them 12 times so far this season.

Connecticut. BTW, I have 3 channels that show soccer, Fox Soccer Channel, GOL TV and Setanta. No shortage of footie on the box in my house. I just wish the WC would be on FSC and them to carry the FIFA Euro English feed like they do in Canada because ESPN, they suck monkeys balls big time. During the England game, they called Beckham "Michael Beckham". Showing the fouls committed stats in the Germany game as "Iran 4, Mexico 3". Balboa the analyst keeps going "And this is what I'm talking about, riiiiiiiight here". Kept calling Shaka Hislop "Kelvin Jack" for the first half of the T&T game. The list goes on and on.

Hey fatherted i will be down there in 2 weeks as my wifes sister lives there. CT is a great place and we hope to move down in the next year. My wife was offered a job in the childrens hispital in hartford bt due to us getting married we wouldnt accept it, wrong timing.

Have you been in CT long

Once im allowed to work here im getting FSC.

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    Hey fatherted i will be down there in 2 weeks as my wifes sister lives there. CT is a great place and we hope to move down in the next year. My wife was offered a job in the childrens hispital in hartford bt due to us getting married we wouldnt accept it, wrong timing.

Have you been in CT long

Once im allowed to work here im getting FSC.

Too long(14 years) I'm in Norwalk.

I'm disappointed with today's game, (usa-cze) I follow MLS a bit and the team is better than what they showed. Hopefully they'll pick themselves up for Italy but I doubt they'll get through now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

this thread is priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

isnt the USA in the top 10 right now, a mere 26 places above ireland?
    Not sure where they are (link to rankings?). But is it not the case that they have a really easy region, including the likes of T&T (sorry Avery), so they get to look good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Everyone should listen to Sports Radio 850 WEEI a Boston based sports radio station, the guys in the morning (11am- 3pm Irish Time) really don't like soccer and make no aplogies about it, great to listen to them, they would really get up the noses of most people on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There probably should be a equivilant to Godwins Law for anyone who mentions the FIFA rankings in a debate on international soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

FatherTed wrote:
    The fact of the matter is that it ranks behind Baseball, American Football, Basketball and Ice Hockey in terms of popularity.

Actually according to the history of football program that does be shown on sunday mornings Football is now played by more people in the US than any other sport so it would seem its on its way to becoming the number 1 sport.

Part of this is due to the number of kids that play. Among adults its still no where but wait until these kids grow up and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

iregk wrote:
    Actually according to the history of football program that does be shown on sunday mornings Football is now played by more people in the US than any other sport so it would seem its on its way to becoming the number 1 sport.

Part of this is due to the number of kids that play. Among adults its still no where but wait until these kids grow up and see what happens.

Dream on, there are already established sports in USA with huge commercial interests.
    I'd guess that MLS will sink due to empty seats in stadiums in the games i've seen on tele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

iregk wrote:

Yeah but hasn't that always been the way tho? They usually give it up by the time they reach they're late teens cos it's seen as a pussy sport over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Pigman II wrote:
    Yeah but hasn't that always been the way tho? They usually give it up by the time they reach they're late teens cos it's seen as a pussy sport over there

Exactly, it's big with pre-teens and girls of all ages for it's areobic exercise benifits but most boys them move on to playing other sports in high school.

Aparently the soccer fans in the US have been making the 'soccer will take over' argument for 30 yaers now.

Of course, it isn't necessarily the case that the US fully adopting football would be a good thing.
    They could hardly resist changing formats to make it an easy sell and to accommodate advertisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

daveirl wrote:
    It would suprise me if they(Auzzie's and Kiwis) didn't whinge about it actually.
    Maybe they do but the press doesn't report on it?
    But also there are marked differences between USA and Australia/NZ.
    I've always felt the later 2 are more tuned-in to the UK generally.
    Don't you think the accents are more like the English as well?
    I do anyway.
    USA have got a chip on their shoulder about themselves and other nations.
    They are an exporter of their "culture" whereas the Auzzies and Kiwis are not quite the exporters of the same degree. So maybe football seems more threatening to some of them (foreign encroachment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

daveirl wrote:
    Also, Aussies and Kiwi's play sports that aren't so insular and home based like the American sports, i.e. they play games that other countries play like Rugby and Cricket for example.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Aussies and Kiwi's play sports that aren't so insular and home based like the American sports, i.e. they play games that other countries play like Rugby and Cricket for example.
    People in GAA-lass houses...:D

daveirl wrote:

That's coz at least they play some vaguely international team sports like Cricket, rugby union

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

johnos wrote:
    People in GAA-lass houses...:D
    ;)

I think you know the point I was trying to make though.

Pigman II wrote:
    cos it's seen as a pussy sport over there

And the non contact sports such as Baseball and Basketball are somehow a mans game?
    RedPlanet wrote:
    Dream on, there are already established sports in USA with huge commercial interests.

Don't shoot the messanger I'm just saying what I saw. Surprised me as well.

Being honest I love Ice Hockey its a great sport. NFL I can't stand as its just so stop and start there is not momentum at all in the game. Baseball is just dire. The last time I was in the states we went to a game and honestly nobody watched the game. They all went to get plastered for 3 hours and thats it. I think homer said it best, when he was off the drink and sober at a baseball game: "I never realised how boring this game is!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

RuggieBear wrote:
    That's coz at least they play some vaguely international team sports like Cricket, rugby union
    and dont forget league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As has been said, that article is hillarious. Just not as hillarious as some of the reactions here

• Advertisement

Silly comment. The problem people have with Americans calling their baseball championship the World Series is that they don't play teams from around the WORLD.

Silly comment. Please go and research the origins of the World Series before making ignorant and uninformed statements.

Dustaz wrote:
    Silly comment. Please go and research the origins of the World Series before making ignorant and uninformed statements.
    Why don't you educate us?

USA ranked joint 6th http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Feb-2006,00.html

Rep of Ireland ranked joint 27th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

blu_sonic wrote:
    USA ranked joint 6th http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Feb-2006,00.html

Rep of Ireland ranked joint 27th

And if ireland were there, i'd see them getting the shiet hammered out of them too by the czechs :)

And if ireland were there, i'd see them getting the shiet hammered out of them too by the czechs :)

dont worry, we'll get to see it happening soon enough.

johnos wrote:
    Why don't you educate us?
    Why dont you use google? :)

The original Baseball championship was sponsored by a newspaper called The World.

Unfortunatly, most americans dont actually know this and just assume it means that the yanks are world champions (Untill the olympics rolls round and shows therre nowhere near the best in the world)

wikipedia wrote:
    A persistent myth is that the "World" in "World Series" came about because the New York World newspaper sponsored it. Baseball researcher Doug Pappas refutes that claim, demonstrating a linear progression from the phrase "World's Championship Series" (used to describe the 1903 series as well as some of the 19th-century postseason series) to "World's Series" (a term first used in the 1880s and which persisted for decades) to "World Series". Furthermore, investigation of the New York World for the relevant years revealed no evidence of the supposed sponsorship. (For details, see Mr. Pappas' web page on the subject.)

In deference to any controversy, more and more the term "World Series Championship" is being used, the subtlety being that it is merely a title and not a political statement.

maybe you should use wikipedia in future?

linky:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

check mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

blu_sonic wrote:
    maybe you should use wikipedia in future?

linky:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_series

Maybe he should read threads from the beginning - that myth was already debunked several pages back.

• Advertisement

and i was just stating that, in fact it was I who (in the baseball forum) asked the question of the world series, to which Mrjoesoap answered, maybe you should follow the links in threads from the begining?

Dustaz wrote:

LOL

Can we all have an apology now? :p

Dustaz wrote:

The original Baseball championship was sponsored by a newspaper called The World.

Unfortunatly, most americans dont actually know this and just assume it means that the yanks are world champions (Untill the olympics rolls round and shows therre nowhere near the best in the world)

I take it johnos gets an appology now?

Dustaz wrote:

That was much too easy.
    You really should read the threads you're posting to, before accusing others of being silly.

Doh, Apologies all round.

I gave up reading all the posts in soccer a looooong time ago. Guess its bitten me in the ass :)

Still, as it takes one to know one, i can say with all certainty that the people giving out about the article are still utter morons.

Dustaz wrote:
    Doh, Apologies all round.

At least you showed your a man there by apologising.

• Advertisement
Advertisement