Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stamp duty ?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 6:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

At a guess I have between 120-150k equity on my home. I will be getting married in september and am pondering the idea of buying a cheapish property as a holiday home, I would like something that needs renovation so maybe around the 150-200K mark or less. My question is if the property was bought in my soon to be wifes name, who would be a first tiime buyer,would stamp duty be payable after we're married or does the fact that I'm not a firsty automatically affect her status.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

dubtom wrote:
    At a guess I have between 120-150k equity on my home. I will be getting married in september and am pondering the idea of buying a cheapish property as a holiday home, I would like something that needs renovation so maybe around the 150-200K mark or less. My question is if the property was bought in my soon to be wifes name, who would be a first tiime buyer,would stamp duty be payable after we're married or does the fact that I'm not a firsty automatically affect her status.

Would you not need to gift her the money in that case, with consequent tax liabilities?

Advertisement