Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling BB for about 2 months

• 12-06-2006 7:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm set to leave the country for about 2 months. Since I'm the only one who uses BB here, it's a bit of a waste to keep it while I'll be away. Is cancelling it for such a small period easy? Will reconnecting be straight forward? I'm with UTV at the moment.

Anyone set to be the best provider upon my return or are the offers likely to be the same as now?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Well setting up BB takes about 3 weeks.
    So say the same again to cancel.
    Thats nearly 2 months.

As long as your out of the years contract its ok
    but probably not worth it unless your changing ISP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest unless your out of your 12 month contract you might as well pay for the two months your not around cause it won't be worth the hassel you'll have to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

.. and watch out for exit charges (even if you're out of contract). Dunno what UTVs stance is, but many BitStream resellers have an exit charge. If they do, then I'd guess that that's at least 1 of your 2 months gone, and write the other month off as being the price of the convenience of not having to get reconnected, downtime of BB while you wait for reconnection, and the risk of your line being no longer able to take DSL (yes, unfortunately this does/has happened).

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're a recent sign-up to UTV the exit charge is €50 (or €60, I can't remember). If you're still within your contract then it may be more. You need to give 1 month notice on cancellation, so if you're leaving soon then you'll still need to pay for half the time you're away. When you get back you may have to pay a connection fee, as you won't be a first time connection anymore, this may be another €50. Plus you'll be locked into a new 6 or 12 month contract, after the 3-4 week wait for connection that is.

All in all, you're most likely better off just keeping it as it'll cost less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

thanks for the replies. I signed up to Clicksilver about 2 years ago at this stage so I'm well out of the contract. I was about to change to BT a while ago so told UTV I might be switching soon. That hasn't happened yet though.

The thing is though, I might be away longer than 2 months, if all goes well I wouldn't mind staying longer, how much longer I don't know? What would you guys consider an adequate length of time to be away for to cut your connection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should have no exit fee on that since you've been there 2 years, the exit fee is a recent addition.

If you give your 1 months notice now then you'll just pay that up. If you're gone 3 or 4 months then you'll be saving all that time. Just bear in mind the re-connect fee of maybe €50 plus the delay time. If this is no big deal then go ahead an cancel now.

I wouldn't bother for the sake of 2 months, but if you think it'll be longer (say 4 months) then it may well be worth doing.

Advertisement