Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to study?

Options
  • 12-06-2006 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

As someone who really has no clue when it comes to studying, I would like to knowwhat you the is the best way to study. It's as simple as that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

You probably don't want to hear that different people adapt to different methods of study better - but at least try telling us what kind of material it is you'll be studying...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Read something (ie the book). Then do sample questions. Then re-read the stuff in the book which you got wrong in the sample test, thus you're only re-reading stuff you don't know, rather than re-reading stuff you do know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm studying law(again).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Always read with a purpose - I'd say law books are fairly weighty to be sitting down with from start to finish. If you have something in mind that you are specifically studying at any given time then it will direct your focus and you'll have more of an idea if you're achieving something. Take notes as you go along also, if the notes are good enough it'll be easier to revise off your notes afterwards rather then facing into the volumes again.

Take plenty of short breaks to keep your head from clouding over, concentration levels will go down drastically if you try studying without break for hours at a time. Also if possible try to vary what you study - say, doing a bit on three or four different topics, switching to the next one when you feel you've done a reasonable amount. That'll be another way to keep the mind fresh.

Also some people find they study better at different times of the day - depending on the type of work I know I'm better first thing in the morning or working into the early hours. Routine is also good.

Advertisement