Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Ball

• 12-06-2006 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Ok is it just me or does it happen everytime that a World Cup comes around we have to sit thru every game listening to the commentary team talking about the new ball and how it swerves alot in the air and that you should shoot from anywhere? the last 2 world cup we have had the same cr*p during every game. Oh its a new ball so it moves alot in the air?????????

What a load of cr*p. Sure they have a new ball every year in the Champions League or PL after who every bids the highest gets the honour to get there name on the ball but we don't have to listen to everyone talking about how it moves in the air. The comentary teams for the WC should really get some new lines. Its getting boring.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, definitely hearing the same old story about the balls the past 3 or 4 tournaments at least.

But, I did read in the paper (Sunday Times) that the new ball has 14 hex panels instead of the usual 32 (i think), which means the ball is a more round shape so theres less resistance and more swerve..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SofaKing wrote:
    But, I did read in the paper (Sunday Times) that the new ball has 14 hex panels instead of the usual 32 (i think), which means the ball is a more round shape so theres less resistance and more swerve..
    Not exactly Hex panels but I know what you mean. Here's a pic showing the make up of the new ball.

http://www.adidas-group.com/global/images/press-images/toolkits/WorldCup/MB/ball5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think it was in the Portugal match yesterday they showed a shot directly facing the goal it was going towards and it was moving up and down. It went straight towards the keeper and he had to hit it over the bar without taking the risk of catching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

One guy in the same game caught a ball that went into the crowd - he looked like he won the lottery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its true this keeps coming up as a topic, but dont blame the commentators, blame FIFA for allowing a new ball to be created and introduced for each tournament. Its been like that for decades now so its not a new phenomenon. Each tournament brings a new ball with a new design and which is also made out of new materials. No wonder it performs different physically. Footballs used to be leather. I'm old enough to have played a couple of youth games with the old brown leather 'medicine balls'. Headers were only done by the brave.

I've had a kick about with this new ball, moulded from 14 panels or whatever. Its plastic, like a lot of balls in recent years. These balls are also less heavy that balls of years gone by, officially. They can 'blow about' and swerve more easily and hence are more difficult for goalies. As they are likely to lead to more goals it could be said that they are good for the sport in general.

But I, like you, would just wish that there was continuation with the ball structure and performance and that new balls should not be introduced for each WC. Launch one after the WC by all means, not at the start.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

redspider wrote:
    I've had a kick about with this new ball, moulded from 14 panels or whatever. Its plastic, like a lot of balls in recent years. These balls are also less heavy that balls of years gone by, officially.

Has the weight of the ball been changed in the Laws?
    I think it used to be 14-16 ounces...I haven't looked at a copy of the Laws for *years*.

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

don't know if anything has changed in the last few years but the requirements for a fifa approved football are on the website below.

http://www.soccerballworld.com/FIFA_tests.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Found the relevant law on the FIFA website:
    The ball is:
    • spherical
    • made of leather or other suitable material
    • of a circumference of not more than 70 cm (28 ins) and not less than 68 cm (27 ins)
    • not more than 450 g (16 oz) in weight and not less than 410 g (14 oz) at the start of the match
    • of a pressure equal to 0.6 - 1.1 atmosphere (600 - 1100 g/cm2) at sea level (8.5 lbs/sq in 15.6 lbs/sq in)

So the ball isn't *lighter* it just behaves differently in the air.
    As redspider mentioned, it's mainly due to the change in material and construction, as these are the only factors that have undergone major changes.
    Modern balls certainly do not absorb water like the old leather balls did.

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I bought a matchball. The proper one, not the replica crap that you get in lifestyle for €15. There is a totally different feel to it than the cheap replica balls. Takes a bit of getting used to but definately a nicer feel to it. I'd been toying with the idea of buying a matchball instead of using replica balls for a whiel and really like the look of this one so shelled out £75 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote:
    I bought a matchball. The proper one, not the replica crap that you get in lifestyle for €15. There is a totally different feel to it than the cheap replica balls. Takes a bit of getting used to but definately a nicer feel to it. I'd been toying with the idea of buying a matchball instead of using replica balls for a whiel and really like the look of this one so shelled out £75 for it.

I buy one every WC and somewhere i have an old Mitre so when people say "Ahh the new crap is out again" i cross the Mitre (my crosses are inoffs, meaning it doesnt matter how you head its going to hit you and go in off you, thus removing the requirment off skill from the forward) When they head the Mitre and 2 or 3 hours later resume consciousness i then cross the Adidias ball and hear the "ahhhhh" it is lighter.

Same with shots, your foot doesnt break when kicking them like it does the Mitre.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok is it just me or does it happen everytime that a World Cup comes around we have to sit thru every game listening to the commentary team talking about the new ball and how it swerves alot in the air and that you should shoot from anywhere? the last 2 world cup we have had the same cr*p during every game. Oh its a new ball so it moves alot in the air?????????

What a load of cr*p. Sure they have a new ball every year in the Champions League or PL after who every bids the highest gets the honour to get there name on the ball but we don't have to listen to everyone talking about how it moves in the air. The comentary teams for the WC should really get some new lines. Its getting boring.

hahaha lol i think boards should bid the highest and get there name on the 2010 world cup ball.that would be awesome lol

Advertisement