Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winding up a Ltd company

Options
  • 12-06-2006 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

If you are winding down a LTD company to go back into PAYE employment, is there any way to take a redundancy payment to yourself from the company or any one off payment you can make or is all the money left in the business only payable as salary?

Does anyone know any place/person i can get advice from?

Appreciate any tips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

An accountant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Winelover

Hi HomeOwner,

Is there any life in your company at all? Maybe you could sell it on www.thebusinesshop.ie. Just a suggestion anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 podowd

If you are being made redundant due to company closure it is possible for the company to make a redundancy payment, some of which will be exempt from tax. The basic exemption is €10,160 plus €765 for each full year of service with the employer making the redundancy payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I am the only employee, I am also the director (there is another director but he doesnt do anything). I am effectively making myself redundant because i am taking a PAYE job. I would like to leave the company "dormant" if there is such a thing, in case I want to go back to it in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

homeOwner wrote:
    I am the only employee, I am also the director (there is another director but he doesnt do anything). I am effectively making myself redundant because i am taking a PAYE job. I would like to leave the company "dormant" if there is such a thing, in case I want to go back to it in a few years.

Ok, I don't think you can make yourself redundant. As regards to keeping the company alive, you will still need annual accounts each year and a return to the cro. Costs about €500 per year just to keep it dormant and alive. You might be better off winding it up and saving this expense.

Ask your accountant for advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement