Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bt broadband cus with monitored home alarm

• 12-06-2006 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any BT broadband customers out there with a monitored home alarm. I've ordered BT broadband over week ago and have a monitored alarm but just read on their website this morning that they are currently not accepting broadband orders from anyone with monitored alarm......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Monitored alarms cause havok with dsl.
    But tbh it depends how the alarm is configured.

Does your line run into the box and then to the sockets in the house?
    OR
    Does your line run into the sockets and the alarm is connected to one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭kco3d

From what I can see, the phone line was installed first with one eircom socket in the kitchen. It was activated bout 2 weeks ago. When the alarm was installed the phone line wasnt activated so they're coming back today to connected it to the phone line. I dont know how their going to connect it. They know that there will be a dsl broadband connection......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Yep, we have a monitored alarm with BT broadband. Had the alarm installed before we got the BB in. Checked with the alarm installation company before we got BB, and they confirmed that it would work OK.

Had no problems since then. The alarm has gone off once or twice due to footballs against the window (and once by fireworks nearby), and the monitoring company called fine (neighbour checked for us as we were away those times). Has never gone off while we were in the house and online.

So I guess it's down to the alarm you are fitting and who puts it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Just make sure your alarm company fits a DSL splitter

See thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭kco3d

Cheers for that "dancin"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

my alarm company didnt even fit a DSL filter and it still works fine :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Jakkass wrote:
    my alarm company didnt even fit a DSL filter and it still works fine :confused:

It may be built into the alarm box dialer. I think mine is.

<<BT BB, Monitored Alarm, No Complaints>>

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

It all depends on wether the alarm box is connected BEFORE or AFTER the socket that the BB is connected to.

If its BEFORE then it needs filtering and splitting.
    If its AFTER then it should be fine.

Only reason it matters is because the alarm boxes filter out DSL as "noise".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

nereid wrote:
    It may be built into the alarm box dialer. I think mine is.

<<BT BB, Monitored Alarm, No Complaints>>

L.
    it was there since before I moved in 1999..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Jakkass wrote:
    it was there since before I moved in 1999..
    fair enough.

I honestly don't know whether there is a filter in mine or not. I asked the company if it would work with BB and they said yes it would. They installed, the BB continues to work and the alarm and monitoring works.

as for
    Diabolus wrote:
    It all depends on wether the alarm box is connected BEFORE or AFTER the socket that the BB is connected to.

I know that the layout of mine is:
    phoneline----alarmbox
    BTModem

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

kco3d wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if there are any BT broadband customers out there with a monitored home alarm. I've ordered BT broadband over week ago and have a monitored alarm but just read on their website this morning that they are currently not accepting broadband orders from anyone with monitored alarm......

Yep. Working fine. Alarm installed first. Connected to extension socket that in turn connects to main socket where the modem is connected to. Alarm company did a standard fit, no filtering etc. They said it didn't need it and they seem to be right.

Advertisement