Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New look O Connell Street unveiled.

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

I saw on the news yesterday that the new look O Connell St was officially opened yesterday. Fair play to the council, I really think they've done a bang on job. O Connell street looks better than I ever thought it would, (it even look better than the artist impressions from years ago).

While some of the shops are a tad tacky, the overall feeling in O Connell St now is of wide open spaces, made for pedestrians just rambling around enjoying the space and the monuments. 10/10 to all involved!!

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

you got any links to a picture by any chance? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

DaveMcG wrote:
    you got any links to a picture by any chance? Thanks!

there's a link to the video clip from the RTE news feature below. If I can find any more I'll post them up.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0611/oconnellst.html

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

It is a good job alright. The only qualm is with the buildings and as you say the tacky shops.

The council should sort out what they are going to do with the Carlton cinema and it is a big landmark on O'Connell Street. I know there is some kind of legal wrangle about a CPO and developers. They want to develop the Moore Street Mall full of retail shops - covered in, which, in my opinion will take away from the spirit of Moore Street.

It should be of paramount importance what happens to this building (Carlton) as with many of Dublin's finest cinemas have been mowed over and an inferior flatpack building been put in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

take away from the spirit of Moore Street.
    I understand where you're coming from with how Moore Street is a part of Dublin's roots. But these days it just looks tired, run down and dirty. It could do with a make over itself. Not getting rid of it, just making it less of an eye sore that it is presently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I haven't been on O'Connells Street in a while, but the last time I was it was looking great. Though I despite the spire, overall it was a much needed improvement.
    That said, there's still a huge amount of tacky, run down looking buildings which takes away from it. They could do with cleaning up a lot of the building fronts, but since they've kept a lot of the original faces to the buildings they shouldn't get rid of them, they'd be quite nice if they were done up a bit (though I don't know whether they'd still suit the overall new look of O'Connells street).

Also, there's not really anything on O'Connells street is there?I mean, I know I've no need to go near the place, and I'd be even more deterred from even going down to have a look around 'cause I know the type of people that hang around there (and have been hanging around there for years).

It may look new and fresh, but it's still the same old O'Connells street..

Oh and Moore Street could definately do with a refurnish at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭man-in-cognito

I've been living just off O'Connell St. for the last couple of years, and have been watching it take shape the entire time. I have to say it really looks well, both during the day, and at night.

I agree about the shops however, they let it down. Too many fast food joints, those horrible O'Carrolls shops, and that god-awful 'good time emporium' that takes up so much space. The Carlton dilemma really has to be sorted aswell.

The general scum in the area is still pretty bad also, litterbugs (despite there being many many bins that are emptied regularly), and little knack kids starting fights with adults (!)..

But I say again, O'Connell St. 2006 looks great in my opinion, and my hat is off to all those involved!

MIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's more the pollution that gets me. If they could reduce the amount of traffic going up and down the place it might help...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭leche solara

I think O'Connell St has been improved immensely, but...
    I have always felt that there should be more public seating down the centre just to relax and contemplate on, as you will find in many other European cities. There are temporary statues put up along the centre of the street (hares, and bells and other crazy stuff) At the base of each statue is a round area which you will see at most times have people sitting on them, clearly demonstrating the need for seating. When these statues go so too will the seats.
    They should put in loads and loads of benches, and get rid of the bloody motor bikes. Though they probably have deliberately left out seating as they would be junky magnets. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The street looks well. There is that major flaw in the colour scheme of the paving outside the GPO, which is the same colour as the road. It is obviously very dangerous, but they are not planning to change it. Other than that, it is a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

get rid of the bloody motor bikes. Pity

Motorbikes are supposed to park on that side street by the GPO, I think its called Princes Street.
    But next time you pass, have a look and you'll see there's no room for any more motorbikes.

In fairness, the motorbikes in the middle of the street aren't blocking anyone, O'Connell Street is certainly wide enough.

If you want them banned, you may as well ban cyclists from locking their bicycles to the trees.

O'Connell Street looks fantastic imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Apart from the fact its bloody dangerous, The pavement outside the GPO is horribly tacky, black slabs spotted with a white pattern..urggh like some music video from the eighties. Add the rusty needle and those ridiculous square shrubs that masquerade as tree's after the council cut the real ones down and you have another triumph for irish planning. But apart from that it looks well lol, scrubbing down the statues and the GPO worked out okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

bikes are banned from o connell street these days.
    but like you say the 15 or 20 parked there arent doing any harm
    too bad imo.

I have to admit, I love the spire, and I always did. I dont understand why so many people still have such a strong dislike for it. At least its something different. I always say, if we hadnt spent the 5 million building the spire, we would have spent the 5 million on a tribunal to find out why we DIDNT build the spire. At least we got something.

Out of interest, how are people finding the boardwalk on the Liffey? Again, I've only seen it a few times (since I dont live in Dublin now, i feel like a tourist, its great!!), and again I think its a top notch job, but I;ve read a bit in the papers about junkies and dudes drinking cans taking over it, and openly selling drugs on it :eek: Has anyone seen this type of behaviour? I have seen what I guess to be junkies, but they werent doing any harm. If the boardwalk does turn into junkie ville its very sad, as its something that could be a great attraction in the city being turned into something that tourists would have nightmares about.

Unfortunately the boardwalk does attract junkies. But what can you do? My friend had a kiosk there a while ago and she was attacked one day....but then again these problems are in any major City.

Just one more crib about O'Connell Street - will they give the statue of the priest/monk his fingers back?

On a positive note, doesn't The Gresham look fab now that there are clear views of it from O'Connell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I will have to visit O'Connell Street next time I'm home, only a short trip from Lucan (providing it's not rush hour :) ).

I think no matter how well it looks they will definitely have to do something about the shops on it. Easons is about the only shop worth visiting.

I know Clery's is there too but I never liked Clery's. To me, O'Connell street contains Easons, Clery's the GPO, tacky O'Carrolls, loads of fast food outlets and nothing else. A facelift may change the general appearance but won't encourage many people to hang around for long.

r3nu4l wrote:
    I will have to visit O'Connell Street next time I'm home, only a short trip from Lucan (providing it's not rush hour :) ).

I think no matter how well it looks they will definitely have to do something about the shops on it. Easons is about the only shop worth visiting.

I know Clery's is there too but I never liked Clery's. To me, O'Connell street contains Easons, Clery's the GPO, tacky O'Carrolls, loads of fast food outlets and nothing else. A facelift may change the general appearance but won't encourage many people to hang around for long.

Dont forget that you can add edible undies to your O Connell St shopping list. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

subway wrote:
    bikes are banned from o connell street these days.
    but like you say the 15 or 20 parked there arent doing any harm
    too bad imo.
    Bicycles banned from O'Connell Street? When did that happen? It's the first I've heard of it. Is it mentioned on the Dublin City Council website somewhere?

Cyclists will generally park close to their destination. A lot of times the designated areas are full so they'll park elsewhere. Ever see the bike parking beside the Molly Malone statue at the bottom of Grafton Street? Generally full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Archeron wrote:
    the boardwalk... I;ve read a bit in the papers about junkies and dudes drinking cans taking over it, and openly selling drugs on it :eek:

I'd actually rather be near people selling drugs than a bunch of locked aul lads. At least the drug buyers/sellers won't want to attract any negative attention (eg fighting etc.)

Anyway, I agree O'Connell Street looks much better, but there's still nothing of use on it. The Carlton should be converted into a museum.

DOLEMAN wrote:
    The Carlton should be converted into a museum.

Yeah, A cinema museum!!!! cool. or an Art Deco Museum.

What about another site for the IFI? It could be sooo good.

I think it's the least that can be done when you look at all the lovely old cinemas that were knocked down even over the last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yeah, I do like O'Connell St. The Spire looks a little bit more suited, but as said above, the place needs loads of seats and less traffic!

Does anyone else think the statues are awful though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Fajitas! wrote:
    Does anyone else think the statues are awful though?

Not really no, but that's only because I don't notice them at all. If they disappeared tomorrow morning I probably wouldn't even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Fajitas! wrote:
    but as said above, the place needs loads of seats
    You should contact Dublin City Council to mention the lack of seats. Maybe it was an oversight that they might be willing to correct. You'll never know until you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i like the new o connell street, for a while i kept accidently walking out onto the road without realising it cos the pavement slabs are the same for path and road but i've learnt better now.

One thing i think is seats! Theres nowhere to sit down around there. Boardwalk isn't that bad. Manys the time i've sat there and read a book and never had anything happen/said to me.

Its a sad shame that as people are discussing the cool new look to the street in this thread, that some dude is lying half dead in hospital because of a random attack outside the GPO. I wonder will this sort of sh*te ever stop. I know in the bad old days, I never felt safe in O Connell street after dark, and I suspect that would still be the case. An awful, terrible shame that the streets are overrun with these scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Thought the giant hares looked well and wouldn't mind seeing a few of them left there permanently. Apart from that closing down a few Emporiums and sorting out the Carlton wouldn't go amiss. Edge paving that doesn't lure people into suicide would also be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Archeron wrote:
    Its a sad shame that as people are discussing the cool new look to the street in this thread, that some dude is lying half dead in hospital because of a random attack outside the GPO. I wonder will this sort of sh*te ever stop. I know in the bad old days, I never felt safe in O Connell street after dark, and I suspect that would still be the case. An awful, terrible shame that the streets are overrun with these scumbags.

I can't say I have much experience with the place after dark apart from one or two times when I have been there but I would think that something will only be done after a TD's son or daughter gets stabbed/mugged/killed or whatever the case may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭man-in-cognito

I live just off O'Connell St. and I was surprised to hear about this awful attack the other night. Sure it sees it's fair share of scum, and I get quite annoyed at it sometimes as I walk home after the pub, but there's usually a good Gardai presence in the area..

It's a sh*t thing to happen anyone, but it could have happened anywhere in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Archeron wrote:
    I know in the bad old days, I never felt safe in O Connell street after dark, and I suspect that would still be the case. An awful, terrible shame that the streets are overrun with these scumbags.

I don't know... I never felt extremely unsafe walking it after dark and I have done it alone quite a few times. There are always plenty of Garda around there tbh, especially at the GPO

As for the scumbags though, there can be a lot of them :(

I don't know... I never felt extremely unsafe walking it after dark and I have done it alone quite a few times. There are always plenty of Garda around there tbh, especially at the GPO

QUOTE]

Maybe its about my perception. I suppose my judgement may be clouded by the fact that 80% of those times was after dark on a weekend night, and mroe often than not the streets were littered with drunken idiots. I've had a number of occasions that could have beeen nasty, but thankfully fizzled out before anything bad befell anyone.

As another poster said above, that attack could have happened anywhere in the city, but I just think that the street itself is important enough that you dont see crap like this happeneing on it. Ever. It could really be Dublins own rainy Las Ramblas, and certainly from appearances, its going the right way. I just think that a more visible security presence would be good, as would some shops and premises that people would go to O Connell Street specifically for. I know not many go specifically to any street for a burger, and sadly O COnnell Street cant offer much more. (I know I'm generalizing, sorry)
    On a sad note, I believe that chap from Lucan who was attacked in O Connell St has passed away today. Rest in Peace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement