Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private liability insurance

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

No, this is not the usual question about bicycle theft insurance.

A friend of mine ran into a stationary van while cycling yesterday.There was no damage to the van (but he broke his collarbone), and it got me wondering about insurance.

My girlfriend,who used to live in Germany, told me that almost everyone has private liability insurance. So if you cause any damage to property or person you can file a claim to pay for repairs, hospital etc.

This insurance extends to doing things like cycling. So if you're cycling and you run into a van, causing some damage, your insurance pays. Apparantly there's no such thing as a no claims bonus, so unless you're completely accident prone, your premium (€5 a month or so) stays the same.

I believe you can buy cycling-specific private liability insurance in the UK from the Cycle Tourists Club (CTC).

I wonder if its possible to get that here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Damn good question! a pedestrian ran out in front of me once on Clekenwell Road in London and I fractured his skull with my cycle helmet (I just about had time to duck my head).

The cops asked me at the time whether I had insurance. I pointed at my bike and laughed - I thought they were joking - they later informed me that they'd decided not to pusue the matter!!

At the time I wanted to sue the assh0le who ran in front of me as it cost me over £100 to fix the buckled wheet - bent forks etc. I've since had my collarbone chipped by family wagon (driving a Micra :D) who pulled out of a side road in front of me - so I'm seriously thinking about insurance. I know the London cycling Campaign include insurance in their membership - not sure abiout the Dublin equivalent:

http://home.connect.ie/dcc/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

If you're a member of Cycling Ireland, you're covered for personal and 3rd party insurance.

checkout cyclingireland.ie

Membership is €30 if you belong to a club, or 60 if you're not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

http://www.sportscoverdirect.co.uk do insurance for every sport,three types of cover bronze silver and gold.

Advertisement