Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling on plane with toddler

Options
  • 12-06-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

We are flying to Southern Spain in July. It's almost a four hour journey and we're dreading the flight with our 18 month old son, it's going to be impossible to entertain and contain him for that period of time. Has anyone any suggestions? We were even considering going to the Dr's to see if there are any mild sedatives that would keep him asleep for a couple of hours but obviously would rather not go down this route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The hostesses will give you some stuff to play with. But I recommend bringing some small toys they own and giving them one at a time. when they get bored with one give them the next one.

The plane itself will be interesting as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

We've done the same thing just recently, flew to Mallorca with a 4 year old and a 16 month old. Our son (4) was no trouble at all, loved it. But the baby.... it felt like we walked to Mallorca! She wouldn't sit still and was screaming, throwing tantrums etc, really frustrating. She was quite though when given the plastic cups and a small amount of water. Depending on the time of your flight you could try exhausting the nipper before hand so that they sleep, ours did sleep for an hour and a half on the way home.

Good luck on your trip!
    Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Are you still breastfeeding? If so, then nurse nurse nurse. I know many mothers who say nursing their baby is the only thing that got them through a long plane ride.

Other than that, I'd say bring lots of snacks and toys. Travelling with little ones can be difficult, but the four hours will eventually come to an end. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There was a thread on this before, ah I found it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2805542#post2805542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

sakigrant wrote:
    We were even considering going to the Dr's to see if there are any mild sedatives that would keep him asleep for a couple of hours but obviously would rather not go down this route.
    -edit- (a bit harsh maybe)

Maybe you should try and entertain the child, rather than drug him.
    Sometimes, talking to children and pointing out interesting stuff like clouds and trees from above can distract them from screaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

when i travel with my two (age 2 and 3) i get them as involved as much as possible with the whole day, made them feel very important and rewarded them when they were good. Try to keep the child awake for as long as possible so natural sleep will come to them when the pane takes off.
    Warm drink on the plane will also help them to settle and a brand new toy that they have never seen before should keep them occupied for a while anyway
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barberella

we flew to australia last year with our four children the youngest 2 then a3,5and 8 year old the idea that dreamer said about the new toy worked for us i bought them all alittle back packfull of little surprises to fill the 24 hour journey just dont let him get through everything in the first hour . also watch his ears when you are taking off if he will suck a soother or even a sippy cup it will help his ears from popping enjoy your holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

barberella wrote:
    we flew to australia last year with our four children the youngest 2 then a3,5and 8 year old

Fair play to you - Im stressed just thinking about that!

Advertisement