Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd Explorer problem

• 12-06-2006 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

First off, I don't believe this problem is caused by a virus or spyware: I've swept the machine with 12 detection tools and none of them have returned anything that might be the source of this.

The computer belongs to the cousin of a co-worker, when you log in as any user, a message pops up to the extent of:
    The application or DLL C:\Windows\System32\browseui.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against the installation diskette.

This stops Explorer from loading. It can be fixed short-term by copying browseui.dll from another computer (the dos shell still has its uses, folks), but this still recurs at each bootup. I've created a workaround in the form of a batch file that will copy the file from another folder and added it to each user's startup file.

It seems to be stemming from Windows Update - everytime I boot up it reports it has an update to install. I let it install, reboot and browseui.dll is corrupted. The two updates in question that it installs are:

KB912812 - Windows Internet Explorer security update
    KB890810 - Windows Spyware removal tool

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yep,

Just googled your file there.

It seems like a legit file alright however it may have been damaged by spyware (and then repaired) which may have corrupted the file.

Get the file from a friend and see if his will work.

Alterntive :: FireFox?

This is where I read about it, although i'd check that website's credentials before proceeding.
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/browseui/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Not Internet Explorer. The desktop shell itself won't load. As it is, I fixed the problem by using system restore to roll the computer back to April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

The problem cannot be fixed just be copying browseui.dll from another PC - there are registry entries associated with this file. See MS knowledge base article here

There are other articles in the KB, just enter browseui.dll in the MS search box.

I know you've 'fixed' the problem with a restore BUT if it should happen again ...

Advertisement