Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal Water Craft(jetski)

• 12-06-2006 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on PWC? Has anyone had experiences with them good or bad? I'm interested in finding out what people think of them.

I do safety/rescue boat for a club in Dublin and no longer tow jetski if they breakdown and do not pose a danger to shipping. I will however pick up the user if they are in danger or need assistance. This is after numerous advoidable incidents involving them and a lack of basic sense displayed by the majority of users.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

One experience sticks in my mind......too many years ago I was crewing on a Laser 2 in the Frostbite dinghy series in Dun Laoghaire Harbour, I think it was February. There was plenty of wind, northerly, probably F4/5 and very cold. Just as we finished putting away the boats two guys on jetskis arrived at the coal harbour slip. They were just about done in, couldn't stand up, and an ambulance had to be called. Turns out they had crossed Dublin Bay from Howth or Malahide, can't remember which. Bit of a miracle they survived. They had wetsuits but no life jackets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

I think that they are gradually going to get themselves banned.

They only problem is who they take out with them ( RIBs, Skiers , Divers).

There is a lot of discussion about this in recent weeks on the powerboat.ie forums including an ISA input.

About 50% of PWC users are safe and responsible. But it's the cowboys who get noticed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mchphoto

I have been photographing these jetski people for around 3-4 years now in the UK, and have seen and heard most things. However the good jetskiers have all the safety equipment and are sensible on the water, they also work along aside the local authority, police, beach patrols etc, they even rasie money for the RNLI once or twice a year (that's each club).

However there are the bad / rouge skiers who do not belong to clubs, they just buy a ski, do not go on a RYA course, ignore all the advice given, etc etc, and these are the ones that are casuing the trouble on the water and getting themselves into diffculty and all the negative publicity for the whole sport.

The local good guys know who these people are and steer well clear of them and liase with the marine police when necessary. But I have found that it's sort of self regulated by the good guys and the clubs and the bad guys go to somewhere else where there is no club etc.

Advertisement