Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane retires!

• 12-06-2006 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

It is with great regret that Celtic today announced that Roy Keane has decided to retire from football.

Roy Keane commented: "Having received medical advice from my surgeon and the Celtic FC doctor, I feel my only option is to retire.

"I would like to send the manager, the staff, players and supporters my very best wishes for the future.”

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said: "Roy Keane is one of the greatest ever players to grace the game of football. It was fantastic that we were able to bring him to Celtic and it has been a privilege to work with him.

"Even in his short time with the Club, Roy made a great contribution and played an important part in bringing success to the club last season.

"We were delighted to make Roy’s dream come true when we signed him for Celtic and we were happy when he made our dream come true, by helping us to win the title.

"While we would have very much liked Roy to continue for the remainder of his contract, everyone at the club fully understands and respects the decision which he has made.

"Roy’s retirement will be a loss to Celtic and, of course, a loss to football in general. We would all like to wish Roy and his family all the best for the future. Roy will always be welcome at Celtic Park.

“Obviously, we will now be making sure that we strengthen our midfield in time for the season ahead."

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell added: "Clearly, everyone hoped that we could have enjoyed watching Roy at Celtic for one more season. However, given the medical advice which he has received, Roy feels this is the only option available to him.

" While we are disappointed, it is important that Roy’s health comes first and we fully respect the decision which he has made.

“Despite losing Roy, our supporters can rest assured that we are working hard to strengthen the squad for next season to face the domestic and Champions League challenges which lie ahead.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

great player,a shame he couldnt another season out of himself,so whats next for roy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Shame, in the space of 1 month we are loosing 2 legends. Keane, Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolute legend for every team he played for.

For United, he was our captain, and with him, we won everything. That's all that needs to be said

---

I think he will be managing within a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

PHB wrote:

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

He'll make a great manager.

Hmm Liverpool are looking for a new assistant manager.... I wonder.....

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Put him on RTE's soccer panel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

p.pete wrote:
    Put him on RTE's soccer panel :)

Ohh Love triangle between John, Eamo and Roy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Great player, the best of his generation. United's most important for 11 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Does he have all his coaching badges? Keane won't rush into management, he does things at his own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Be funny to see him and Dunphy blanking each other like an old couple after a tiff alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    He'll make a great manager.

Hmm Liverpool are looking for a new assistant manager.... I wonder.....

:)

Stranger things have happened. Hes a big fan of the Liverpool set up, facilities, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

What a man, two World Cups in a row and he overshadows them by his actions.

Roy you were a prick but at least you were our prick.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

BolBill wrote:
    Stranger things have happened. Hes a big fan of the Liverpool set up, facilities, etc.
    And I know for a fact Rafa is a big fan. But I don't think he'd do it, because a lot of Manyoo fans would consider it a betrayal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

get rid of carlos queroz and appoint roy as new assistant. that would be brilliant but i dont think it will happen soon

he will be missed in football but he has given so much. well done roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane is a very loyal man, I can't imagine he'd go to Liverpool.

He always said he could never ever face the thought of being in the opposing room in Old Trafford, apparently, although the source is just another forum, even during the testimonial, he wouldn't go in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, Roy has called it a day. It was on the cards, and its probably a good choice for him. He has played enough and can go out on a relatively 'high note' after his half-season sojurn at Celtic and a fitting Man Utd/Celtic testimonial game.

For the many of us that 'loved him' and 'hated him', and indeed some of us have been in both camps(!), he will be missed in Irish footballing circles. The 'civil war' that he 'created' in 2002 can be put some more to bed, and more people can move on.

I am sure we havent heard the last of Roy though. I expect him to take a year or two out of the game, the limelight. I'm sure he could do a bit of punditry and will probably keep up his charity causes, but both will be part-time. Perhaps another 'tell all' book is in the offing, perhaps one that will re-ignite the civil war. Perhaps a stab at management and coaching, but its not clear if his temperment will work in that role. Time will tell.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Manager?! He couldn't manage a bunch of under-11's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Management next I'd say. He'd make a superb manager if he can influence players with the dedication and commitment to the game that he showed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Didnt Forrest want him as manager and he said he wasnt intrested in managment at the moment? That might change over time but for know I reckon he'll just be driving the wife mad at home.

Class player. Some times he didnt do things in the right manner but all he ever did was to help his team win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Fantastic player and someone who would make a great manager. He will be greatly missed, and can see him managing United in the non-too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Sad to see another legend retiring: Zidane is up next, and Arsenal have lost their own: Bergkamp.

Didn't agree with all his decisions but he was one of the most honest players around, and always said it like it was, no bs out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Alike Cantona there is only one word to describe Roy. Legand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Three matches stand out for me from Roy's career. His magnificent performance for Ireland against Holland in 2001 in Dublin in the World Cup qualifier, his performance for United against Juventus in Turin to help United reach the final despite being booked and his performance against Arsenal at Highbury when he stood up to Patrick Vieira in the tunnel.

Roy Keane is definitely a legendary figure and he will be missed. Thanks for the memories, Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pitty he couldn't create a legacy for Celtic like he always wanted to, but what he did for United can't be put in to words. Hope he becomes a successful manager if that's the road he takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sad day. Absolute legend. The type of player you'd want to be able to play forever. Pity he's not retiring having just been playing in the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Thanks for everything Roy! Especially '99.
    A legend who's name will be uttered with reverence everywhere.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

kearnsr wrote:
    Didnt Forrest want him as manager and he said he wasnt intrested in managment at the moment? That might change over time but for know I reckon he'll just be driving the wife mad at home.
    Well obviously they wanted him, but to be fair I think the story was paper talk more than anything else. I don't think Forest could afford him as a manager.
    Pitty he couldn't create a legacy for Celtic like he always wanted to, but what he did for United can't be put in to words. Hope he becomes a successful manager if that's the road he takes.

I think he left the Celtic move (and to be fair his retirement) a little late. It was obvious, despite his fitness (he was down to 7% body fat or something like that at one stage) his injuries were hampering him. I often wonder did he lose his psychological edge. He hasn't really been the same player since he walked away from the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

PHB wrote:

Must be slim pickings at Celtic if a player who played for them for only a handful of months is considered a legend.....

He is bound to do well in management but it will be interesting to see how he would handle a player who was as openly opinionated about his fellow teammates as Keane himself was.

IMHO there is plenty of blame to share around the fiasco of the lead up to the last world cup but over his careerhe did far far more good for the Irish team then bad and that should be remembered.

BTW I thought it was a bit much for tributes to be coming in from Bertie and the rest - Keane has retired , he's not dead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Man of the match in his last game for Ireland (vs France), MOTM in his last game for Man Utd (vs Liverpool) and MOTM in his last game for Celtic (vs Kilmarnock).

Amazing for a 35 year old and he is retiring a world class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The French game at Landsdowne? MOTM? Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eh, it's not my opinion, he got man of the match. :) Sorry to break it to you after a year. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

his performance for United against Juventus in Turin to help United reach the final despite being booked and his performance against Arsenal at Highbury when he stood up to Patrick Vieira in the tunnel.

Couldn't have picked 2 better games to remember him by tbh. That headed goal against Juve. I'll never forget it....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Easily man of the match in that game. He was everywhere.

One word for the man, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He will always be an absolute legend to United fans. IMO he is irreplaceable, I can't say more than that except thanks for the memories Roy and all the best for the future .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All credit to Legends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Great player. I'll never agree with whatever happened in Saipan but he was a legend of the game. Ferguson's best signing and he and Irwin did Ireland proud for United.

He leaves some truly great moments behind him. Speaking of which, anyone got a copy of the tunnel bust-up video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

. . . at the end of the day !! :D

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lemlin wrote:
    He leaves some truly great moments behind him. Speaking of which, anyone got a copy of the tunnel bust-up video?
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9RVX6EJH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I'd like to see him in management as well.
    But i'd be under no illusions that he'd automatically be a great manager just because he was a great player.
    Sure lookit Hristo Stoichkov [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hristo_Stoichkov ]
    Absolute legend of a striker.
    But a ****e manager that would have personality clashes with his best players (whom then walked out on him).
    Pay attention Roy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

I read the other day that Sunderland want him as manager. Seems a little unbelievable as Quinn has just taken over

Advertisement