Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellet boilers - need quick help pls

Options
  • 12-06-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Sorry to start a new thread but I only found the other one last night and it is making me confused. Easily done.:D

I'm going this afternoon/tomorrow to look at a German system which has just been installed and should be up and running since this morning. I have about a week to make up my mind as to whether we should install a wood pellet boiler for heating and hot water and I was totally confused before I read the other thread and now am confused in a different way.

Could someone in the know please help me to work out what exactly I should be asking the supplier/installer about the system and how will it run for me. Does that make sense? It's just I have so little time and the minimal research I've already done is from suppliers who will be biased towards their own product and against others.

I don't want to run the risk of making an expensive mistake either in installing on or not installing one to start with. As it has been an afterthought it hasn't been included in the buget so cost is a consideration.

My thanks and gratitude to anyone who can help me out with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

31 views and nothing.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If you look at the SEI web site they have a very good list of questions for the consumer to ask, I know it can take some time to go through their web site but the questionaire is very good.

I am a little surprised that you must decide within a week, your grant is good for a year and if you must have a heating system there are good cheap second hand oil boilers and tanks on the market.

Best of luck in your search, I am obviously biased where the appliances are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks Pete. I've been through the SEI website and printed off the info and ticked where I need to query items but I was after more of the questions that don't jump off the page at you... like the guarantee not being good if you use Irish pellets instead of German ones etc. I suppose I should go through the thread again and make notes as my site visit has been postponed till the end of the week.

The one week thing was a bit overly dramatic but I do have to decide in a hurry and as the supplier I was considering who is located in the same village as we're building in... proved impossible to get hold of until very recently things need to be speeded up. The plasterers are starting this week so I don't really have much time to make a decision and I was hoping the combined knowledge and experience of the posters here would fastrack my decision somewhat.

I don't want to spend the money on oil because the our budget is very tight if we go for the pellet burner, and there won't be enough to go dual (at this time anyhow) but I suppose if need be we will try and source some second hand stuff like you suggested and then delay the pellets to another time.

I did ring you yesterday and hopefully when you get a chance you'll get back to me. I was wondering do you do installations as far as Kilkenny or only closer to home?

Advertisement