Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry

• 12-06-2006 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi there

Did the cycle for Chernobyl Childrens Project over the weekend from Cork-Galway.

Very rewarding and great crack. Hope to raise over €1,200.

Anyone doing the Ring of Kerry in 3 weeks.

Now thats a challange!

Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Yup, I'll be there. First time taking part but saw them last year as they came into Kenmare. Miserable weather, there weren't many happy faces! Looking forward to it though, have been saying I'll do it for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi there

there are a few of us doing the cycle if you are on your own you are more than welcome to come a long with us

The more the merier!

Noel

Cheers, but I've joined up with a large group here in Cork, so I'll just tow along behind them and make my life easy:D

Have you done it before? I reckon that climb from Waterville must be a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭rash

What level are ye at.
    I'm back on the bike about 2mths after a long break, did the ring a few times back in the late 80's early 90's, did my 1st one in 85 (jumped in the van for 1 or 2 legs of it).
    It's a great day out.....not sure how safe it is now with the numbers of 1000+ (according to local press).
    Can be a pain if it's wet as they make you stop at each town which is great for getting a chill/cold.

noel123ie wrote:
    Hi there

there are a few of us doing the cycle if you are on your own you are more than welcome to come a long with us

The more the merier!

Noel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

cargrouch wrote:
    Yup, I'll be there. First time taking part but saw them last year as they came into Kenmare. Miserable weather, there weren't many happy faces! Looking forward to it though, have been saying I'll do it for a few years.

I did it last year. It must have been the worst day of the summer. The climb out of waterville was a killer, wind and rain, and in some parts you couldnt see too far ahead of you (probably a good thing as I may have turned back!)

But overall, a great sense of achievement when it was completed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

i reckon you would want to be doing at least 50-60 a week to be upto speed

ill do a 100 this week and 100 next wek and maybe 30 the week of the cycle

im from cork too i reckon we will take over the kingdom for the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

noel123ie wrote:
    i reckon you would want to be doing at least 50-60 a week to be upto speed

ill do a 100 this week and 100 next wek and maybe 30 the week of the cycle

im from cork too i reckon we will take over the kingdom for the weekend!

Get a bit of climbing in too though. I know a guy who did it last year after 7 miles of preparation. He was in bits.

You'd want to be doing at least 60 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1380 mini

how does the event compare to the wicklow 200 in terms of distance and climbs?

1380 mini wrote:
    how does the event compare to the wicklow 200 in terms of distance and climbs?
    Quote:
    "The 23rd annual Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle takes place on Saturday 1st July. This event attracts 1000 cyclists from all corners of Ireland to raise funds for local charities. The 112 mile cycle begins in Killarney at 8am leaving the International hotel and making its way to Killorglin, Gleinbeig, Caharciveen, Waterville, Kenmare before finishing up in Killarney."

Having looked at the elevation for the Wicklow 200, if you did that then you should fly around the RoK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1380 mini

where can i sign up to do the RoK? sounds like a good event, just did the w200 on sunday and would love to get a few more in over the summer.

• Advertisement

AFAIK Denis Geaney is the main man behind it.

Info from http://www.killarneysummerfest.com

Ring of Kerry Cycle
    Saturday 1st July, Starting Point from outside International Hotel at 8am
    112 miles of glorious scenery marks the route of the Ring of Kerry Cycle, now in its 23rd year.The cycle has raised over €1.6million for local charities to date and this year hopes to raise funds for Kerry Parents and Friends of the Mentally handicapped, Rathmore Social Action Group, Enable Ireland and the South Kerry Branch of the Alzheimer’s Society. All are welcome to participate in the cycle at their own pace and there is no entry fee. Get training now for a great day out !!
    Sponsorship cards and further information are available from: Denis Geaney 087 2258781

From Enable Ireland http://www.enableireland.ie/kerry/

Enable Ireland Kerry Services is one of the charities chosen to benefit from this year's Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. The event takes place on Saturday 1st July.

More than 1000 cyclists are expected to take part in this unique fundraising cycle. The cycle starts in Killarney and makes its way through Killorglin, Glenbeig, Cahersiveen, Waterville, Sneem and Kenmare before finishing up back in Killarney.

To date the cycle has raised in excess of €1.75 million for charity. If you require additional information or sponsorship cards contact Sean Scally at sscally@enableireland.ie or 066 712 8220.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kerrynoel

I have never cycled the W200, but from talking to people it seems to be way more serious than the Ring of Kerry. U will be amazed from the standered of bicycles on display in Killarney in the morning. Anything on 2 wheels is utilised. Unless ur fairly well into cycling, u will learn to apreciate the stops at every town. Hopefully Last year was a once off as i was never so misreable in my life coming out of Waterville. Gale force winds and blinding fog. Surly it could never be repeated.

Climbing wise the hills are not too bad easily. Some people, (myself included) start off in Kenmare in the morning. So the first thing u deal with is Molls Gap. apart from that Coomnakista near waterville is the worst, by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kerrynoel

Good luck to anyone cycling the Ring tomorrow.
    Weather is meant to be a tiny bit showery, but the wind should be calm enough. Thats all that matters really:cool:

Advertisement