Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So-ranna

Options
  • 12-06-2006 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

For anyone thats into their Planxy/ Sweeny's Men/ Fureys/ Paul Brady, i've come accross this group a couple of times now but i dont think they've been around for too long, they're definitely influenced by Planxty its easy to tell, they have a nice mix of Guitar, Bouzuki, Bodhran, Banjo, Mandolin and Mandola with some tasty vocal harmonys that echoe the old Sweenys Men stuff.

I saw them play as a three piece under the name Paddycap at the Battle of the Axe in the Ha'penny Inn Templebar, which is predominantly a comedy open mic night, i saw them again there a few months later playing under the name So-ranna. On both nights they really ripped it up and the crowd lapped it up aswell, and to top it off they came first ahead of all the comedians.

I hadnt really gave them much thought until i saw them play with a 4th member at the launch of the Dublin Arts Directory in the Civic Offices, they played to a crowd of... lets just say over 80's. They finished with Waxies Dargle and the auld dears loved it.
    Anyhoo, in trying to find out where to go to see them play a full set i got a copy of their first recording The 5 Girls EP and it really is a crackin trad cd and i found out that they will playing The Ha'penny Inn every Sunday, not too sure of the time, i think they said 1-3?? And i think they said do a midweek session the Deadmans Inn, i could be wrong though.

Check them out, So-ranna
    Sunday afternoons in The Ha'penny Inn, beside the bridge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fiendishfreddie

I think i was at that Battle of the Axe when they were a 3 piece, was it a bouzuki player, a guitar player and a bodhran player?
    They did a great version of that tune Sally Brown that sweeneys men did.
    If its the same lads, which i assume it is cos i havent seen a trad act there before, they were great, they really livened up the whole night and they won 'The Rubber Duck' award aswell, beating the comedians hands down on their home turf.
    Think i'll drop in and take a look, it is the pub downstairs from where the battle of the Axe is on isnt it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jibbajabba

Yeah that sounds like them alright, three lads in there mid 20's?
    Yeah the Ha'penny is where the Battle of the Axe is, i assume they'll be downstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nineinchtails

I saw them play in Grace's Bar in Rathmines lastnight, nobody there really considering it was a Tuesday but they were pretty good alright, i havent seen them there before but they said they might be playing there more regularly in future.
    I was impressed though, they really compliment each other and they have some really nice vocal harmonies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 craigisacat

I'm told by a friend that they will be on West Dublin Access Radio (96fm) on Friday at 3 if thats any use to y'all.
    Havent heard them play meself, my knowledge of trad is fairly limited but i'll tune in and give them a listen.

Went in to see that session in the Ha'penny, they were really good, there was a dutch guy with them that plays the pipes the whistle and the fiddle.
    He was savage!! I've seen him busking around town, he has a shaved head and a really long scraggly beard. Apparently he cycles around Ireland on his bike with a trailer and just plays music to get by. He played the loansome Boatman at the end, it was f***ing beautiful...
    I bought their cd aswell and at five blips it was a steal, really fresh sound, theres a song on it called The Spinning Wheel, the Fureys used to do it, sounds totally different but their version is beautiful, its easily as good if not better. I hope to see more of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 So-ranna

Thanks guys, we've all got really big heads now!!

Oh and by the way Fiendish you're a cheap whore :D

p.s. We wont be playing the Ha'penny any more, to put it bluntly the owner is a prickdog, i wont go into detail but we walked out after one tune on Sunday, not very professional i know but it was very rock & roll

Oh and if anyone wants to listen to our EP, heres the link

www.so-ranna.dataflux.ca

Also check us out on my space www.myspace.com/wearesoranna

Oh you complain now, but when theres nobody else around its a different story.
    Pot - Kettle - Dubh

Fiendish Freddie is an imposter, dont believe anything he says, and check under your bed at night aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

I saw these guys in Graces in Rathmines last night, I highly recommend them. They were a pleasure to watch with great singing and music.

I think that it might have been their last night playing in Graces, I think they got a gig on O'Connell Street on Monday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Can you confirm So-ranna??

Thanks for comin, glad you enjoyed the session, we'll be back there tomorrow night (Tuesday 18th), not too sure about the O'Connell st gig yet.
    We play The Strawberry Halls, The Strawberry Beds (Chapelizod end of the city) 19th August in aid of Cancer Research Ireland... Doors open 8.30pm Admission €10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

Only checked this today, are you playing next Tuesday (25th July) in Graces?

Not too sure yet, will keep you posted, will know by Monday at the latest;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Timothy ODwyer

Hi Guys,Talking to Trian yesterday..... talked about Guitar player etc.I might see you guys in Graces tues week.Sent you private mail on mysace.Rgds Tim

I've been back in Graces for the Tuesday sessions more regularly and i have to say the place has gotten much busier in the weeks we've been there, the lads are starting to attract a good crowd to a normally quiet night.
    I was there a few weeks ago and the guy that owns the neighbouring Chinese restaurant went in and got food for everyone it was great craic.
    Dont think i can make it tonight but will this be an ongoing thing lads??:)

Good session last night lads, fair play, good to see you can still play with a man down:p

Yeah that was pretty cool when that guy from the chinese restaurant started dishin out food, and i was starving aswell...
    I think he was the tourist guy from the bar scene in Father Ted???
    We should be in Graces on Tuesdays until further notice 9 till late as usual, and hopefully our trusty banjo player will be back with us next week. I'll keep you posted if theres any change.
    Oh and Feindish who said you were welcome, i saw you hiding in the corner:D

Come to the Fiddlers Green Festival in Rostrever, we'll be doin it street style!!

Advertisement