Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

French, damn you french

• 12-06-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Argh, why does french have to be tomorrow!? I can't go to Opeth tonight because I have that bloody french aural tomorrow morning. How can I concentrate on study for it knowing that a load of my mates are having a blast!

Sacré bleu, c'est merde.

Gargh. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

c'est pas merde! Il est une tres belle langue et il est plus facile que l'Irlandais!! :) j'aime bien le francais parce que..eh ben, je le parle couramment mais si quiconque a besoin d'aide, je suis a leur service!!

rappelez-vous que la maniere la plus facile d'apprendre une langue est ecouter et repeter!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Why oh why was I so complacent about maths? Now I really need a good French result or all is lost. Stupid Leaving Cert. Hopefully the aural is as easy as Irish... cause if it isn't......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

c'est pas merde! Il est une tres belle langue et il est plus facile que l'Irlandais!! :) j'aime bien le francais parce que..eh ben, je le parle couramment mais si quiconque a besoin d'aide, je suis a leur service!!

rappelez-vous que la maniere la plus facile d'apprendre une langue est ecouter et repeter!! :D

I didn't mean french was ****! I meant that it being tomorrow was ****. I like french, but I aint too good at it! Somehow I got 66% in the mocks, but I have no idea how I managed that. The oral will bring me down anyway, at one point I was asked what do normally eat for breakfast, "Cet matin, j'ai mangé des frites et les vaches!" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

OctavarIan wrote:
    I didn't mean french was ****! I meant that it being tomorrow was ****. I like french, but I aint too good at it! Somehow I got 66% in the mocks, but I have no idea how I managed that. The oral will bring me down anyway, at one point I was asked what do normally eat for breakfast, "Cet matin, j'ai mangé des frites et les vaches!" :eek:

i got the same and although i like it i never seem to get what i should be gettin...ie an A or high b

j'en ai marre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

You wanna practice ? I'm french.

Le matin, je prends des céréales, un yaourt au fruit et un café au petit déjeuner.

let me know if I can be of any assistance. What do you have to talk about ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Hard to tell how my oral went. At one point I was discussing how my favourite band claim to be Armenian though they live in America and it's difficult to know as americans often claim they're irish even though the haven't lived in Ireland for a century. At another point I forgot the word for car. Could go either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I'm actually looking forward to French! My grade all depends on the tape though, sometimes I can get full marks in the tape, sometimes I get 50%! I'm praying it will be easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

gqma0 wrote:
    You wanna practice ? I'm french.

Le matin, je prends des céréales, un yaourt au fruit et un café au petit déjeuner.

let me know if I can be of any assistance. What do you have to talk about ?

Cheers

Oh can you give me some phrases on the world cup or the french riots cause they seem like likely topics! Currently i am up the river without a paddle cause i am concentrating on biology instead of french..oops!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Hard to tell how my oral went. At one point I was discussing how my favourite band claim to be Armenian though they live in America and it's difficult to know as americans often claim they're irish even though the haven't lived in Ireland for a century. At another point I forgot the word for car. Could go either way.

Same here I can't really tell how I did. I didn't know the verb for driving, so the examiner started to act out driving a car. When i recovered from laughing I just said "Oui, trés bien".

French riots

The ones from last Oct/Nov when the 2 young teenagers died in an electric unit or the ones with the CPE.

En ce qui concerne les émeutes
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violences_urbaines_de_2005_dans_les_banlieues_fran%C3%A7aises

to resume, Ces incidents ont commencés, dans une banlieue pauvre de Paris, Clichy-sous-bois, par la poursuite de 3 jeunes adolescents par la police dans une centrale electrique ou 2 des 3 jeunes sont morts par electrocution. La communauté a réagi par des actes de violences. Aussi, Une grenade lacrymogene a été lancé pres d'une mosquée musulmane, pour des raisons encore inconnues, ce qui a envenimé la situation alors que la communauté musulmane était encore en mois de Ramadan. Suivant cet incident, beaucoup d'autres banlieues pauvres et démunies se sont ralliés et ont aussi provoqué des actes de violence. Ils se sont aussi vite répandus dans d'autres pays comme la belgique, l'allemagne et les pays-bas. Ces actes n'avaient que pour seul motif de casser et détruire des biens publics. Des voitures, batiments publics (écoles, gymnases, centres sociaux) et autres ont été pris pour cibles. Un état d'urgence a été déclaré 2 semaines apres. Ces évenements se sont passés pendant presque 4 semaines

Question: En tant qu'Irlandais, que penses tu de ces incidents ?
    Speak about the segregation in the musulm and african community. The unemployment rate in the musulm/african community is high because some french employers would quickly make a decision who to give a job to.
    Also, most of the ppl involved in these riots found a reason to entertain the media

Question: Pourquoi le gouvernement a mis autant de temps a reagir ?
    The govt didn't consider this at a high level but just as a common problem that would quickly be handled by the police. Even though, the riots went out of control at some stage, they were still located in the paris suburbs and not in Paris itself.

You can dig out more info from Wikipedia.

En ce qui concerne le CPE,
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrat_premi%C3%A8re_embauche

These are strong subjects for an oral.

Sorry about the worldcup but I'm not a big soccer fan.

Good luck. you'll still have to do some homework on your thoughts. That shows that you've prepared your exam.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tweetypie

Thanks a mil for your help!:) Hopefully it will help me out tomorrow! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

OctavarIan wrote:
    not as bad as what i said: "je suis seize ans"

Good luck with the french.

Remember guys that speaking another foreign language helps a lot when looking for a job. Also handy for when travelling for business.

Et en plus, les francaises adorent les irlandais.

gqma0 wrote:
    Good luck with the french.

Remember guys that speaking another foreign language helps a lot when looking for a job. Also handy for when travelling for business.

Et en plus, les francaises adorent les irlandais.
    I hope never to use it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

gqma0 wrote:
    French riots

The ones from last Oct/Nov when the 2 young teenagers died in an electric unit or the ones with the CPE.

En ce qui concerne les émeutes
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violences_urbaines_de_2005_dans_les_banlieues_fran%C3%A7aises

to resume, Ces incidents ont commencés, dans une banlieue pauvre de Paris, Clichy-sous-bois, par la poursuite de 3 jeunes adolescents par la police dans une centrale electrique ou 2 des 3 jeunes sont morts par electrocution. La communauté a réagi par des actes de violences. Aussi, Une grenade lacrymogene a été lancé pres d'une mosquée musulmane, pour des raisons encore inconnues, ce qui a envenimé la situation alors que la communauté musulmane était encore en mois de Ramadan. Suivant cet incident, beaucoup d'autres banlieues pauvres et démunies se sont ralliés et ont aussi provoqué des actes de violence. Ils se sont aussi vite répandus dans d'autres pays comme la belgique, l'allemagne et les pays-bas. Ces actes n'avaient que pour seul motif de casser et détruire des biens publics. Des voitures, batiments publics (écoles, gymnases, centres sociaux) et autres ont été pris pour cibles. Un état d'urgence a été déclaré 2 semaines apres. Ces évenements se sont passés pendant presque 4 semaines

Question: En tant qu'Irlandais, que penses tu de ces incidents ?
    Speak about the segregation in the musulm and african community. The unemployment rate in the musulm/african community is high because some french employers would quickly make a decision who to give a job to.
    Also, most of the ppl involved in these riots found a reason to entertain the media

Question: Pourquoi le gouvernement a mis autant de temps a reagir ?
    The govt didn't consider this at a high level but just as a common problem that would quickly be handled by the police. Even though, the riots went out of control at some stage, they were still located in the paris suburbs and not in Paris itself.

You can dig out more info from Wikipedia.

En ce qui concerne le CPE,
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrat_premi%C3%A8re_embauche

These are strong subjects for an oral.

Sorry about the worldcup but I'm not a big soccer fan.

Good luck. you'll still have to do some homework on your thoughts. That shows that you've prepared your exam.
    Cheers.

Oh wow!! That was so cool of you. Thank you so much, Are you doing the Leaving Cert yeah? You are so lucky to have fluent french then.. My friend is the same. She is french too and she is doing the leaving cert so she will automatically get an A1 in it tomorrow! I'm so jealous!!

Anyways - You wouldn't actually be able to tell me what the story was with the Riots, in English?? I don't really understand why they happened..

Particle-Boy, you're gas. do some research in wikipedia.org for french riots.

Done my leaving cert over 12 years ago. My strong subjects were physics, maths and english. Didn't seem that long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

I went to one of those ELC revision courses over Christmas. They said the riots won't come up, they are far to complicated. I'm not learning anything on them, but if you want the basis outline, it's something like this.

Police chashed after two Arab kids who, apparently, had done nothing wrong. Anyway, the kids ran and the police persued. One - or two, perhaps - of the kids ran into an electric fence and died. Soon, the suburbs populated with mainly Arabs started rioting, mainly at night. Some people said they were egged on by Arab fundamentalists, some say the gradual increase in rioting resulted from heavy handed police proceedure. Anyway, everyone rioted, set cars alight and assume a generally angry mood. Niko Sarkozy, the French Interior Minister, called the rioters scum or some such, and that flared the situation more. In the end, everything ended, obviously.

See, very complicated. Takes too long to explain, and as such, leaves little room for opinion on racism etc.

Oh, and there's no possible way CPE riots could come up. Les examens avaient ecrit avant ils s'est passés.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Oh, and there's no possible way CPE riots could come up. Les examens avaient ecrit avant ils s'est passés.

Were the exam papers not written in late november?? Which would have been just as the riots ended or it would have been in the middle of them. God. It seems too obvious not to do.. yet too obvious to do at the same time.. I hate it when this happens.. I'm gonna at least learn WHY they happened..
    So - does anyone recommend what should be revised?? I think this has to be the most unpredicdable part of any exam.. ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Just make up stuff! It's the quality of your French that is important. Say stuff like 'people feel abandoned by society' and 'The government must deal with the problem'. You don't need to go into great detail as long as you know that people were rioting because they are neglected by society and mention some stuff about the cites and how they are made up mainly of immigrants and unemployed people etc who are discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GerryTheLeper

When were the riots? cause the papers are made out in december.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

the riots are waaay to specific for an essay question arent they??, You would have to no the background to them etc. to answer a question...id say somethin like racism or violence will come up with a quote or somethin refering to the riots

There were two riots; one was about the Arabs minority being unfairly treated or some such, the other about employment legislation. The latter happened March, and as such, I said the CPE won't be there for sure. The others happened around exam writing time, but it's too complicated an issue to come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm quietly confident about French tomorrow. I did well in my oral cos my teacher prepared us well. I usually do well in tapes. I'm good on the comprehensions, it's just my writing is sometimes weak! Though theres nothing I can really do because the topics that come up will either suit me or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

"Ils sont des voyous, des racailles. Il faut nettoyer les cités au Karcher"- le minister de l'intérieure Francais, Nicolas Sarkozy

Sarko a les dents longues. C'est une vraie taigne. he he !!

Advertisement