Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding downloadable files

Options
  • 12-06-2006 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I have files on my website for a client to download. They have to log in to see a list of them. And then the download/

But they would just typw in the name of the file and location and it will download it bypassing the login.

Any ideas how to stop this happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whats your log in system? Are you using cookies, sessions or a combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

comer_97 wrote:
    Any ideas how to stop this happening?

Implement proper security.

Think about what you're saying - people can access parts of the system without logging on. The conclusion is that those parts of the system are not secured against anonymous access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

bonkey wrote:
    Implement proper security.

Think about what you're saying - people can access parts of the system without logging on. The conclusion is that those parts of the system are not secured against anonymous access.

so if i use iis to disallow anonymous access, i will be sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Yup, disable anonymous access and make sure Integrated Windows authentication is enabled. IIS will prompt for a username/password combination then.

There are ISAPI plugins for IIS which allow htaccess like functionality, where you don't need to have Windows accounts, but I'm not sure if there are free ones available.

Phil.

Advertisement