Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review Maths P2 Higher

Options
  • 12-06-2006 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I thought it was a very tough paper with more trycky parts than usual.

The circle was very easy apart from part c. Option 8 was grand apart from part c. Trig was quite difficult. didnt do vectors.

Just scraped a c overall i hope

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I found it bloody hard alright. I had done okay in the first paper but I was even strugggling with some of the (b) parts in this one.

It's possible that I'm skirting D grade territory in this exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

A very hard paper. I managed to get through all 8 questions but 6 and 7 were no hopers. Trig vas tough and circle part c i didnt like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Yep, very tough paper. Here's how I did:
    Q1: got it all out except (c). I would have got it only I used the centre from (b) by mistake. I'll probably lose 1 or 3 marks.

Q2: very easy except (c). I think I might have stumbled through it and got the right answer.

Q3: easy. couldn't remember how to do transformations, but I think I got it in the end.

Q4: easy, got it all out.

Q5: strange. Think I got most of (a). -90<k<90 for the range. think I got (b) aswell.

Q6: (a), (b) easy, (c) nightmare.

Q7: (a) easy, the rest was a disaster.

Q8: simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

how did you do 4 c. impossible. how can you get the radius of the circle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Verdict: There goes the A1 and A2! Oh well!
    Q1: Grand except for part(c) Uggh!
    Q2: Got some strange answers for b. Part (c) DID NOT HAVE A CLUE
    Q3: Grand. Part b worked out in 3 lines!
    Q4: In part c I proved that it was 6 times not twice!
    Q5: Didn't touch it with a barge pole
    Q6: Fairly graqnd except for c(i) got something in the region of 0.0000000147
    Q7: Nightmare Question (b) and (c) especially
    Q8: Nasty part (c)
    Q9: Fairly class some parts of (b) were odd enough.

Overall: meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

c m wrote:
    You have to use the cosine rule to get the horizontal line (join the ends of the 2 k lines) then use it again to get r in the triangle of the horizontal line found above, two radii and the angle at the centre of the circle equal to 120.

For 6ci, the probability that all the kids had the same birthday, did anyone get an answer of one over about seventy billion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Q1: A and B were grand, couldnt do C but made good attempt.

Q2: Didint do

Q3: A and b were fine. Couldnt do Ci but Cii was easy.

Q4: Did very bad in this question overall. just guessed answers and didnt even understand the question in part C

Q5: Ai was fine (all in maths tables). the rest of A however was quite difficult and i dont remember seeing similar q's in past papers. B was very easy.

Q6: Just guessed answers for part A. Difference equation was easy but Bii I couldnt do. Just guessed C again.

Q7: A was easy, b was impossible and i was sure i knew how to do c and got right answer but it was different to the one given.

Q8: McLaurin was fine. Part B was fine. Ratio tests were ok apart from getting values of x.

OVERALL::( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :eek: :confused::confused: :eek: :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

c m wrote:

I can't explain it in writing, it's to do with perpendicluar lines from the center point of that dotted circle, then I use the Sine rule to get r in terms of k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

the paper wasnt too bad...except what was up with question 5(TRIG) having stuff about asymtopes in it???????
    overall though i think i did well

For 6ci, the probability that all the kids had the same birthday, did anyone get an answer of one over about seventy billion?

I got 1/729000000

• Advertisement

Sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballyarse

yeah i got 70 billion or something huge WHAT THE HELL WAS QUESTION 5 ABOUT i thought asmyptotes were only on paper one i'v never seen a question like that before so had to do two probability.....not good not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Q1. Pretty easy. C ii) I didnt get
    Q2. No clue for C, odd answers for B
    Q3. Awful for me, but then I'm bad at line geometry anyway
    Q6. Tricky parts, unsure how I did
    Q7. Difficult. Didn't get C
    Q9. A was trickier than usual. Didn't study Conditional Probability for b but half of it was pure logic and the rest I guessed well i think. C was easy-peasy. :D

Think C/high C over all, which is all I was aiming for really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

This really irritated me. I studied for ages for this, specifically the weekend before, I studied a ridiculous amount, so I actually found it fairly easy without denying that there were some curveballs. In contrast paper 1 was actually fairly straightforward, but I studied SO much less for that. If I'd studied it as much as I did this I probably would've aced it. Oh well, here's how I took it:

1) a/b simple, c)i I accidently did a really long method (found that the y value of the intersecting point was imaginary) then did it the shorter way aswell. ii ran out of set time and went to q2
    2)a/b simple again. c) scared me at first but got it pretty quickly. had forgotten what the circumcentre was :p
    3)all simple, learned the angle formula last night thank god
    4)a simple, b took a bit, but got it, c: thought I got it right then the second part proved my answer wrong... wait, just relooked at it, might be right. huh.
    5)skipped at first out of "what the **** are they doing"ness, but handled it ok when I came back, ran out of time for a but b was a joke.
    8)a/b worked out nicely. c I'm quite sure I got right, but my answers weren't reassuring

overall: I'm thinking low A or high B. doubtful of an A1 unless they marked it in my favour. With paper one (GRRR), probable B overall, just what I need :p.

ballyarse wrote:
    WHAT THE HELL WAS QUESTION 5 ABOUT i thought asmyptotes were only on paper one i'v never seen a question like that before so had to do two probability.....not good not good :(
    The asymptotes were at y=90 degrees and y=-90 degrees cause Tan of those is infinite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Pretty tough paper yeah, no real complaints though.

Q1: Not bad. I got everything except (c)(ii), at which I made a pretty stupid attempt.
    Q2: Stupid vectors, was counting on this. (a) and (b) were lovely but my attempt at (c) was going nowhere.
    Q3: Didn't do.
    Q4: My part (b) was a bit iffy, annoyingly, but other than that I got everthing out.
    Q5: Likewise, part (a) iffy, but other than that alright. Shouldn't lose more than a few marks.
    Q6: ****ing (b)(ii) didn't work out, otherwise grand.
    Q7: Going nowhere with part (c)
    Q8: Grand.

So that's 4 with full or close-to-full marks, and 2 without part (c)'s. Ack, decent enough I suppose. But certainly not A1 material, which was my aim. Balls to it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

c m wrote:
    If you join the 2 ends of the curve you have an equilateral triangle. So that line is k. then join from the ends of that to the centre, it'll be 120 degrees. Apply sine rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

The general consensus in my school was that it was an extremely difficult paper. I don't even want to look back over it myself. Give it a few weeks, lol. Hopefully French and Biology tomorrow will be better.

same her. very tough paper. I've a feeling that ther'll be controversy over q5a

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

whassupp2 wrote:
    same her. very tough paper. I've a feeling that ther'll be controversy over q5a

Hasn't been asked since the aul days of '94. It didn't look too hard but I didn't get around to doing it due to some poor question choosing early on.

• Advertisement

The one last year was bad too though. My maths teacher was going on all year about how last year the papers published some thing saying the maths papers were getting dumbed down and that year got a really bad paper. A few weeks ago he tells us "They've done it again. There was a story in the paper saying the exam is being dumbed down". the general feelings of the class were "Oh Crap" and now everyone seems to feel this year was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭captainzapp

what the hell was up with the graph?!?! i did part a and when i saw draw a graph and something about asymptotes i said screw it. i havent done graphs since 3rd year. that was a very strange question. did probability instead and i hate that because you either get it all right or all wrong and you can never tell which... didnt like 8, (c) at all and no integration by parts SUCKED! i knew this was gonna be tough after paper one being easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Integratio by parts didn't come up. I thought that was a cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

Overall im happy with the paper.Was delighted with Q8....relatively easy.Did Q1,2,3,4 in that order,shocked by Q5 i then did Q8 and then spent the rest of the exam doin Q5 and looking over the paper.......I found it way easier than paper1....My average has gone from a B1 in paper 1 to a probable A2...hopefully an A1...Of all the part a's and b's I did they were pretty simple........

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

I got that... hope it's right.... thought it was a tough paper...
    1. was grand... got part (c) worked out ten minutes before the end
    2. was easy... I love the vector question
    3. was easy
    4. a+b were not to bad... however, struggled with part c and didn't get it at all...
    5. (a) was an disaster and b was easy...
    6. was easy as usual and 8. wasn't to bad

I was a little bit disappointed that only one proof came up.. it would have been so easy and gained u some easy marks... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Pretty sure the focus of that paper was on rewarding an understanding of the maths course rather than just having stuff learned, so having lots of proofs would ahve gone against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sariane

God i was getting some crazy answers for those probability questions! Couldn't do 1.(c)(ii) or 2.(c)!! Really thought maths was going to be an easy A1 for me but looking at both papers together i'm hoping for a B3 or B2!! Really annoyed about that! :(:(

ya i got some strange answers too

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DiscoMouse

What do you think you'd get for giving the answer in 5 C (i), (and it was right, as i deduced it from (ii)), but no workings?

Overall, shocking paper, broke my spirits with a sick little snap, and I've no heart for biology now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

DiscoMouse wrote:
    What do you think you'd get for giving the answer in 5 C (i), (and it was right, as i deduced it from (ii)), but no workings?

Overall, shocking paper, broke my spirits with a sick little snap, and I've no heart for biology now. :(

Do you mean 4c1? There was no 5c!
    I did that too sort of! I did part 2 first and then when I got r=k/square root of 3, I went back to 1 and figured out a way of getting that answer by making a triangle and 3 radii or something like that anyway!

Advertisement