Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review Maths P2 Higher

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

i think everybody needs to relax and realise the marking scheme for Q5(a) will most likly be changed. last year on Q2(a) , it was changed cause it was poorly answered.
    on Q5(b) 1 ---- was the answer 186 or what was it????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

sticky9cd wrote:
    i think everybody needs to relax and realise the marking scheme for Q5(a) will most likly be changed. last year on Q2(a) , it was changed cause it was poorly answered.
    on Q5(b) 1 ---- was the answer 186 or what was it????:rolleyes:

Unfortunately no it wasn't 186! I had that down and then 5 minutes before the end I realised it was wrong. You have to find the diagonal by splitting the square into 2 triangles and then using pythagorous theorem. Then you can get the slant height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

JoseJones wrote:
    I might still scrape an A1. Almost perfect paper 1, and on paper 2, 1(c)(ii), 2(c), 3(c) are the only ones I didn't get, and I will at least get attempt marks for them.

FFS of course you got an A1!!!!
    You can lose 60 marks and still get an A1.
    So at max you lost 10+20+20 = 50 and maybe one or two other marks from paper 1, so I wouldn't worry about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

Eh, I'm pretty sure the answer to that part of Q5 was 186....or at least thats what i got!!

When u half 230 u get 115 and ur told the height was 146 ( i think!!)

So,

l\
    l \
    146 l \ x
    l \
    l___\

(x)(x) = (115)(115) + (146)(146)

x = 186

Thats how I did it anyway........??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Hunty wrote:
    Eh, I'm pretty sure the answer to that part of Q5 was 186....or at least thats what i got!!

When u half 230 u get 115 and ur told the height was 146 ( i think!!)

So,

l\
    l \
    146 l \ x
    l \
    l___\

(x)(x) = (115)(115) + (146)(146)

x = 186

Thats how I did it anyway........??

I had a look at this today, after all the fuss in the paper. Surely the base is actually 115*(square root of 2)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yep, that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Hunty wrote:

No, it's not. Sorry. Its already been explained a couple of times how to do it, either in this thread or the other Maths one. Look back a few pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

surely the first part was 272, i think you'll all find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

^^^ lol im glad i didnt do question 5....seems like no one at school either can agree on THE right answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

twas 186m well actually 185.(loada ****e >5) so 186 TBH i dunno what the uproar is i felt it was a very fair paper and P.T on honours is a ****in gift!!!!!have to say its honours maths its ment to be difficult, if ya did math properly you would love paper2 if ya learned questions off...tough ****.
    Q8 was a gift too (should have been much harder) 6n7 were the worst with the circle line and trig wernt that bad, paper1 was insane tbh though, hopefully i get my c3 after my fiasco of a mock!!!
    is anybody wanting engineerin here?? i do and with only 11,000 sittin H.L math and numbers down 11% on engineering courses i reckon points could take a plunge especially in light of that paper

• Advertisement

The problem with that question appears to be that people viewed the length from apex to ground as being constant (like it would be in a cone).

I think it is useful to visualise one of the four triangles, and see that the "slanted edges" are the edges of the triangle, and hence are longer than any line (from apex to base) "within" the triangle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

twas 186m well actually 185.(loada ****e >5) so 186 TBH i dunno what the uproar is i felt it was a very fair paper and P.T on honours is a ****in gift!!!!!have to say its honours maths its ment to be difficult, if ya did math properly you would love paper2 if ya learned questions off...tough ****.
    Q8 was a gift too (should have been much harder) 6n7 were the worst with the circle line and trig wernt that bad, paper1 was insane tbh though, hopefully i get my c3 after my fiasco of a mock!!!
    is anybody wanting engineerin here?? i do and with only 11,000 sittin H.L math and numbers down 11% on engineering courses i reckon points could take a plunge especially in light of that paper
    Its too difficult for you aswell...because the answer wasnt 186.Thats what I wrote I overloked the fact that the centre was in the middle of the square base,and therefore it wasnt the base value you used.So you didnt do maths properly yourselfI assume?Or did arrogance get the beter of you.

well thats the theory behind the 3-D trig ya split it up into 1-d shapes ond work it , i saw it the minute i dew a perpendicular but was almost caught by putting the slant value= to the P.D otherwise very very simple pass jnr standard!!!!i reckon itl be marked the same, the wana stop rich mammys boy and daddys girls going to institute for 6th year and just learning to manipulate a paper(well that what the times reckon!!)

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Its too difficult for you aswell...because the answer wasnt 186.Thats what I wrote I overloked the fact that the centre was in the middle of the square base,and therefore it wasnt the base value you used.So you didnt do maths properly yourselfI assume?Or did arrogance get the beter of you.

i am arrogant(shouldnt be considerin P1) but i am still confident untill sombody does it for me and proves otherwise, and by sombody i mean state examination commitee i dont believe what others say for me what i say is what ill believe, but ya may be right:o

well thats the theory behind the 3-D trig ya split it up into 1-d shapes ond work it , i saw it the minute i dew a perpendicular but was almost caught by putting the slant value= to the P.D otherwise very very simple pass jnr standard!!!!i reckon itl be marked the same, the wana stop rich mammys boy and daddys girls going to institute for 6th year and just learning to manipulate a paper(well that what the times reckon!!)
    You said you got 186,which is the answer people got if they did it the wrong way.
    Because(done the wrong way)

h^2=115^2 + 146^2
    h=185.86

Now the real value of the first figure should be 115 x root2 as someone stated earlier which would give you a different answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 annettemc

I got 219m for the slant height in question 5b)...I actually liked the paper all except 5a). I think I did okay in the rest. I got answers for everything anyways:rolleyes:

DonaldDuck wrote:
    You said you got 186,which is the answer people got if they did it the wrong way.
    Because(done the wrong way)

h^2=115^2 + 146^2
    h=185.86

Now the real value of the first figure should be 115 x root2 as someone stated earlier which would give you a different answer.

how do you know your answer is right??

how do you know your answer is right??
    I said mine was wrong.

then why are you throwing this bull**** at me if its wrong??
    lets me think you are sain 115root2 or 115 X root 2

then why are you throwing this bull**** at me if its wrong??
    lets me think you are sain 115root2 or 115 X root 2
    Youll find 115root2 and 115 X root 2 are the same.
    Im saying it because you said that was the right answer,and I know i did it wrong.And you got the same answer.

• Advertisement

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Youll find 115root2 and 115 X root 2 are the same

will 115 X root 2 still work in P.T??? you will end up with some mad number

just googled and some vary but its between 140m and 200m is the height of real giza pyramids

Edme-Francois Jomard, one of the younger French savants, climbed up and down the rubble around the Pyramid to obtain a measure for one side of the base of 230.9 meters or 757 English feet. He then climbed to the top to obtain an apothem height of 184.722 meters.

well if napoleons french engineers got the same as me to the nearest metre i reckon i am right

http://www.crystalinks.com/gpfacts.html for all you doubters

will 115 X root 2 still work in P.T??? you will end up with some mad number

Mathematics is not about belief. Think about your answer. If I stand at a corner, and measure the distance to the top, and then keep measuring it as I walk to the next corner, will the distance vary? If so, how? At what point will the distance be a minimum? What will the minimum be? At what point will it be a maximum? What will the maximum be?

utopian wrote:
    Mathematics is not about belief. Think about your answer. If I stand at a corner, and measure the distance to the top, and then keep measuring it as I walk to the next corner, will the distance vary? If so, how? At what point will the distance be a minimum? What will the minimum be? At what point will it be a maximum? What will the maximum be?

but a pyramid peaks at the point above the centre of the base if ya can follow me the slant was longer than the P.H (i think) anyways if the real height is 184.7 i am happy with my answer.

but a pyramid peaks at the point above the centre of the base if ya can follow me the slant was longer than the P.H (i think) anyways if the real height is 184.7 i am happy with my answer.

I think you'll find that you calculated the minimum (the length from the midpoint of a side to the apex), rather than the maximum (the length from a corner to the apex).

Anyway, it's only a few marks. I wish you a good result.

utopian wrote:
    I think you'll find that you calculated the minimum (the length from the midpoint of a side to the apex), rather than the maximum (the length from a corner to the apex).

Anyway, it's only a few marks. I wish you a good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

As a student who aspires to get a minimum of an A2 in tech drawing i expected to do get full marks in that question....i found it too easy...but looking back i now realise how stupid i was.
    -I got the wrong answer for the 1st part of (b) Q5. 186 is the answer i got and i now know for definite that it is wrong.I misread the q....186 is not the length of the slanted 'edge'.It is in fact the length of the slanted 'side'...(i.e.)..the length the slanted edge appears to have when viewed from the side...[end-view]...
    -I still think that i used 186m correctly in part (ii) of the q.. I got 86,000 metres squared....[cud b wrong tho..]....
    ......anyone else get 86,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

Shark-69 wrote:
    As a student who aspires to get a minimum of an A2 in tech drawing i expected to do get full marks in that question....i found it too easy...but looking back i now realise how stupid i was.
    -I got the wrong answer for the 1st part of (b) Q5. 186 is the answer i got and i now know for definite that it is wrong.I misread the q....186 is not the length of the slanted 'edge'.It is in fact the length of the slanted 'side'...(i.e.)..the length the slanted edge appears to have when viewed from the side...[end-view]...
    -I still think that i used 186m correctly in part (ii) of the q.. I got 86,000 metres squared....[cud b wrong tho..]....
    yip- i done the exact same as you and i am doing houners t.d aswell.(bad sign):D

Shark-69 wrote:

slanted edge and side are they not worked the same way?? how would you do the question??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

I do it through irish so excuse my ****ty triangle terms.
    You have to get the line that goes from one corner of the base to the other. Using pythagorus half of that lenth with the height will give you the length of the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

Zoodlebop wrote:
    How many subjects would she be doing?

She would be doing 14 subjects..and maths only ordinary level...

Advertisement