Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG! 3 theorms!!!

• 12-06-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

f'k sake i almost died when i saw we had 3 theorms on the paper:eek: , luckily i knew them;) but i was surprised, first time ever. also...i now hate triangles and never want to see one again. too....many....triangles! <pull hair out>:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

1/6 of the paper was theorems. Easy marks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    1/6 of the paper was theorems. Easy marks! :D

Easy marks if you knew them. I fecked up pythagoras's one, could only do half of it. And I constructed a triangle for the first time EVER in the exam, made up half the answers, drew scale models to work out problems (like that damn river question, I mean wtf?).....basically, I think I failed. But I'm not sad about it because I was thinking about it, and I don't think I'm getting below a C altogether because of my paper one!! Yayage!! :D Then I spent the break ripping up maths papers because

I SHALL NEV0R HAVE TO DO HONOURS MATHS EVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Easy marks if you knew them. I fecked up pythagoras's one, could only do half of it. And I constructed a triangle for the first time EVER in the exam, made up half the answers, drew scale models to work out problems (like that damn river question, I mean wtf?).....basically, I think I failed. But I'm not sad about it because I was thinking about it, and I don't think I'm getting below a C altogether because of my paper one!! Yayage!! :D Then I spent the break ripping up maths papers because

Leaving Cert??

whassupp2 wrote:
    Leaving Cert??

I'm doing pass, thank holy freaking god!

At least TRY and do honours Leaving Cert! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

f'k sake i almost died when i saw we had 3 theorms on the paper:eek: , luckily i knew them;) but i was surprised, first time ever. also...i now hate triangles and never want to see one again. too....many....triangles! <pull hair out>:mad:

In fairness, they were three easy ones BAR Pythag. but it was stressed enough thatit was comming up

iFight wrote:
    In fairness, they were three easy ones BAR Pythag. but it was stressed enough thatit was comming up

What way do you do Phythagros? The one in our book is outrageously stupid but our teacher told us a very easy way.

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    What way do you do Phythagros? The one in our book is outrageously stupid but our teacher told us a very easy way.

Split the triangle into two triangles, look for similarity between the big one and the lil ones, then cross multiply etc. There is an easier way involving squares though, I'm not sure of it ;)

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    At least TRY and do honours Leaving Cert! :eek:

I'm too damn crap! And I think I'm also going to be doing 8 other subjects, and I'd need to devote so much time to maths that I won't have....NOT looking forward to doing that many exams, but don't want to give any of them up either!

iFight wrote:
    Split the triangle into two triangles, look for similarity between the big one and the lil ones, then cross multiply etc. There is an easier way involving squares though, I'm not sure of it ;)

Oh dear God. :eek:

The sqaures one pwns! :D

@Twinkle: You should fly Ordinary Leaving maths! :)

• Advertisement

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    Oh dear God. :eek:

The sqaures one pwns! :D

No way...The Split Triangle way is THE way

EDIT: Didnt realise thatI said 'Way'three times there...gotta be a record :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

iFight wrote:

now i never said they weren't easy :D ofc i got them all done fine,stayed up until past 1am studying them getting them drilled in. even pythagoras was frekin easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Easiest maths paper 2 ever!Delighted with it.I can guarantee that loads of people found the total surface area of the steamroller instead of the area of the rectangle.;) I also have to say thanks to BMH for the Rate Of Flow question.Thanks buddy!:D

Sweet wrote:
    I can gurantee that loads of people found the total surface area of the steamroller instead of the area of the rectangle.;)

? Suppose you mean instead of the CSA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sipefree

Woot. My maths teacher was right. Pythag's theorem did come up. Luckily I had memorized it the day before.

I actually think I did really well in that one. I answered them all and I think I got it all right. I wrote my final answers into the question paper so I can check it later.

I won't know until September though. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This morning I decided to look over the theorems, I noticed that the parallelogram theorem hadn't come up yet so it probably would this year, so that and the pythagoras one were the only two I learned- and they both came up :) The other one was just common sense really and I could answer on it. But there were some very nasty questions on that paper, question one in particular was not nice at all, and parts of question three and four I had to look at a few times before I realised what to do, and even then a lot of what I did was guesswork. But at least I managed to answer everything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Went pretty well for me...could do all the theorems and even Trigonometry!!
    Which I usually suck at!
    But I couldn't do the thing about the sand in the egg-timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Sweet wrote:
    Easiest maths paper 2 ever!Delighted with it.I can guarantee that loads of people found the total surface area of the steamroller instead of the area of the rectangle.;) I also have to say thanks to BMH for the Rate Of Flow question.Thanks buddy!:D
    Heh, no problem. Ironically enough, it was the only place I know I made a mistake in. I forgot to divide the volume by two but I'll probably only lose a mark or two because of that.

Easy enough paper really, I'm glad there were so many theorems.
    Now to find the million mistakes I mde that I don't know about yet...

My shiney new compass kept being non-accurate. And my incircle didn't touch the bottom of the triangle. Yep no (or at least very few) marks for Pistey.

Meh, my incircle was off at every side, I just set it in such a place that it wasn't too obvious, and shaded the lines close to the triangle so that it looked like it touched.You'll get the marks for the method, don't worry.

• Advertisement

Just draw it, and leave the construction lines to show we knew what we were doing.

If it touched off two sides and was just a little tiny half of a millimeter off one of the sides, can you still get 10 marks?

mmm probably 8/9. Anywho, you'd probably get marks for having the triangle drawn properly, and then only a few more marks for the incircle.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I got the first 2, but on pythagoras, I just proived they were congruent, then drew a blank.

My second last line was something like |ac|^2+|ab|^2=|bc||bc|+|bd||bc|

and then I kinda just "lost" the |bd|bc| and skipped ahead to |bc|^2=|ac|^2+|ab|^2

So hopefully they wont look to closely >.>

Do they follow your work all the way through or do they just give marks for the correct answer and only look at your work if you got the wrong answer and they want to give you attempt marks?

Obviously not for theorems and such.

They allow 2mm grace for incircle and other constructions. You'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭yourpetzombie

I got home and realised I constucted my incircle inside a different circle, not the first one I constructed.

And those theorems were practically free points.

That paper was like the easiest paper two ever. It didn't require any thought at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 aoifexxxturk

Anyone know anything about the solutions being put on the 2fm website or something??if u do could you please post a direct link 2 that page!thanks a million :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Piste wrote:
    Just draw it, and leave the construction lines to show we knew what we were doing.

Heh, I didn't know how to do the in-circle thing at all so I just spent a few minutes trying to find the right spot so that'd it'd work and put in sneakeh construction lines afterwards :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

My incircle was out by the tinyist little mm, but i wud b damned if i left the bitch!!!!
    I made a heavy line on the outside of the triangle, and hey presto it looked alright!!!!

Can sum1 tell me the answer to the rate of flow question:rolleyes:

Advertisement