Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

harney bans sunbeds for under 16

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

20 minutes in a sunbed or sunlamp is the same as 4 hours in the sun.

What kind of sun. Irish sun, Mediterranean Sun. Sahara Desert sun. This seems like more spin to me. I was out last week for an hour in the sun and my sholders got pretty burnt. This would never happen in 5 minns in a sunbed. If I spent 4 hours in direct summer sahara desert sun I would end up like a piece of crispy beacon. Again this would never happen with 20 minns in a sunbed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some modern sunbeds are incredibly powerful, many have 32 and 48 tubes and are designed really for use by adult people who tan easily. The trouble is when unscrupulous salons (particularly the hairdresser with the sunbed-type operations) then upgrade their 16 lamp unit to one of these and then allow the same level of usage on it.

These high powered machines can deliver a similar dose of UVA as you'd get on the beach for a day. Add in the unsupervised ones like in a gym and you've a receipe for disaster.

Well done mary!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Mary Harney has delivered on her pledge to end waiting lists by banning under-16s from using Sun Beds in Beauty salons and Tanning studios. This has led to a fall in the waiting time for a tanning appointment much to the delight of Oompa Lumpa's across the country.
    By ignoring the National Crisis in A&Es and allowing it escalate into a National Emergency, Minister for Health, Mary Harney has been able to focus all of her efforts on a new piece of penetrating legislation.
    Commenting on the urgency, Harney believes that there is a link between sun beds and the cancer of anti-social youths in our society "We all know the link between sun beds, particularly for young people" said Harney.
    One of the most drastic measures of the new legislation shall be the erection of signs where sun beds are available to the public. These signs will carry "warning notices" which will be in very authoritive lettering warning of the dangers of UV light on children and young people and the long-term effects of anti-social behaviour.
    When asked about how the Minister will attempt to tackle the harmful effects of the sun, the minister stated that she would make the wearing of Communion Dresses compulsory for the under-16s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mickcarroll10

Stand up night is friday night,if you dont want to debate the issue,post in another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Stand up night is friday night,if you dont want to debate the issue,post in another forum.
    We don't have a standup night (which is probably just as well) and as for the debating the issue, you've made two posts which haven't taken part in the discussion itself either so I'd take care of that massive plank in your own eye before pointing at the specks in others. You are of course free to start discussing the issue whenever it suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just on this. Skin Cancer is the most common cancer in Ireland, yes.

However, skin cancer is the only cancer that is 100% avoidable. Nobody should get skin cancer.

It is also the only form of cancer where the cause is known ever single time.

The only way to get it is through UV exposure. However, what proportion of skin cancer incidents do sun beds make up? Its very hard to say but it is likely to be moderate percentage.

Simple, so the ban is a good thing. But, its nothing major, Its a common sense move and not even the tip of the iceberg of health issues that this government has bungled and avoided.

sceptre wrote:
    We don't have a standup night (which is probably just as well) and as for the debating the issue, you've made two posts which haven't taken part in the discussion itself either so I'd take care of that massive plank in your own eye before pointing at the specks in others. You are of course free to start discussing the issue whenever it suits.

The standard of moderating is pretty poor on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

It's just one measure in a cancer strategy document form the dept of health. If you were cynical you might think that the kiddy sunbed rule was brought in because it was newsworthy and would distract attention from the more controversial proposals such as reducing the number of cancer treatment facilities.

You would hope that each measure was costed with price against expected number of lives saved. If this was done you would wonder why the details are not in the document. Harney claimed, for example that it was decided not to introduce prostate screening on cost/benefit ground. But where is the data?

Maybe the reasoning is that a kiddy sunbed ban, like smoking in pubs, has no cost to the state so there's no need to estimate benefits, as any benefit makes it worthwile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

clearz wrote:
    What kind of sun. Irish sun, Mediterranean Sun. Sahara Desert sun. This seems like more spin to me. I was out last week for an hour in the sun and my sholders got pretty burnt. This would never happen in 5 minns in a sunbed. If I spent 4 hours in direct summer sahara desert sun I would end up like a piece of crispy beacon. Again this would never happen with 20 minns in a sunbed.
    In case you are not aware, there is only one sun!

Who is "spinning" this, and what advantage is it to do this.

Remember, a sunbed is designed to do all your body at once, a feat impossible to achieve the sun, so by definition, the sunbed covers much more body area in the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The standard of moderating is pretty poor on this site.
    Complain in the Feedback forum as the guidelines for posting advise/require you to and you'll get more than a "boo hoo" from me. Report any posts you feel need to be reported rather than whining about them on-thread as the guidelines require you to do and I'll stop wondering why you bother reading at all. Do anything else in this thread (including your currrent attention-seeking) apart from discussing the topic at hand and you'll see how clinically efficient I can be at moderating users rather than posts. In short, read the damn rules. You're breaking them, the people you're dancing around aren't. Take it to PM or Feedback and stop interrupting everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I was talking to a salon owner recently who is delighted at this, she was plagued by mothers wanting to put the childern of communion and confirmation age on a sun bed for the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Those mothers should be paid a visit by social services.

Reprehensible, silly cows.

{edit}Sceptre: <3 your "swift sharp shock" brand of justice.{/edit}

sceptre wrote:
    Complain in the Feedback forum as the guidelines for posting advise/require you to and you'll get more than a "boo hoo" from me. Report any posts you feel need to be reported rather than whining about them on-thread as the guidelines require you to do and I'll stop wondering why you bother reading at all. Do anything else in this thread (including your currrent attention-seeking) apart from discussing the topic at hand and you'll see how clinically efficient I can be at moderating users rather than posts. In short, read the damn rules. You're breaking them, the people you're dancing around aren't. Take it to PM or Feedback and stop interrupting everyone else.

Take a chill pill,jesus:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Take a chill pill,jesus:eek:

[voiceover]Looking to get banned? Simply post a lot of rubbish and completely ignore the moderators requests to add sensibly to the conversation. Our fine moderators are standing by to carefully ban you in the most sensitive way possible. Post "Cr*p" now to "boards.ie" and we'll fulfill this request as swiftly as possible. Terms and conditions apply.[/voiceover] :D

Back to the topic. Salons can be regulated, parents are harder to regulate but perhaps the sale of home sunbeds can be regulated in such a way that users must agree that under 16s will not be allowed to use them and potential buyers must be informed of the dangers by the salesperson.

I know that won't stop parents allowing their kids to use them but it might help stop the inevitable attempts to sue sunbed companies in twenty years time.

Advertisement