Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

soft top beamer's, where to buy

Options
  • 12-06-2006 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

hi guys. i need a bit of help here. i am looking to get my hands on a old skool [ 88 - 89] soft top beamer. i hoping there someone out there who can give me some advice on what to look out, for and what i should exspect to pay, etc, etc. i have heared that the chassis tends to have a serious rust problem. i ve also heared that because they are rear wheel drive and only come as 2.5 petrol. they are a bitch yo insure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

You can get them in 1.8 and 2.0 also.

Best bet would be to bring one in from the UK. Good ones are making £2500 + (sterling) and to be honest this is a bad time of the year to be buying because of the summer prices go up.

The E30 has common areas where rust sets in, floor pan, boot pockets, bottom of windscreen, sills etc... basically you will have to look everywhere on the car.

Check out the forum section in www.e30zone.co.uk . There is always lots of E30's for sale on it.

Anymore questions then just ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

http://www.wlnautomotive.co.uk/

Not the cheapest, but I've seen them mentioned several times on www.bmwcarclubireland.com, and they seem to be top quality. You could always stick a post up there in the Irish and e30 regions; someone might spot something you should look at.

Good luck with the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ace101

cheers. are they all rear wheel drive. i think i already know the answer to this but is there a desil model

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Indded they are RWD. And the e30 (c.1986-1991) are supposed to be great fun to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bucks wrote:
    You can get them in 1.8 and 2.0 also.

Best bet would be to bring one in from the UK. Good ones are making £2500 + (sterling) and to be honest this is a bad time of the year to be buying because of the summer prices go up.

The E30 has common areas where rust sets in, floor pan, boot pockets, bottom of windscreen, sills etc... basically you will have to look everywhere on the car.

Check out the forum section in www.e30zone.co.uk . There is always lots of E30's for sale on it.

Anymore questions then just ask away.

^^ not much to add to that, but check out this site - www.bmw-driver.net - have been on there since I got my beamer, and the guys there have been really helpful.

More info on the E30 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Have you driven one yet? The non-motorsport E30's, although great fun, IMO feel a lot 'softer' than most cars of the last few years, especially the convertibles. My old one (2 door) had Alpina suspension/bodykit/Interior so felt like a 325i Sport. I drove a '91 325i Sport last year and it was quality, but unrefined compared to anything newer, even so I'm quite tempted by that 325i on WLN!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The E30 came in a number of guises including a 324d or 324td (diesels!) which are rare enough though.
    All BMWs are RWD which can make driving a bit more fun compared to WWD (wrong wheel drive!).
    Leaving the oil burners aside, the E30 came with two types of engine - 4 and 6 cylinder. The 316i, 318i, 318is, 320is and M3 came with 4 cylinders whilst the 320i and 325i came with 6.
    All the engines are fairly strong as long as they are well maintained. The 6 cylinders are prone to overheating if the fan clutch goes. Overheating can damage the head.

There are three levels generally (excluding the 320is and M3):-
    Standard - the majority
    M-Technik - may have a bodykit, 15" BBS cross spoke rims (v. tasty), lowered and stiffer suspension
    Sport - rare and generally limited to the 325is. This will have a few bonus features over the M-Tech 325i such as an LSD.

The E30 is prone to rust around the bodywork (as were most cars of that era) so check all areas including under wheel arches and jacking points.

If you can go for a 325i. They have 172 bhp and are great cars. they also tend to use less fuel compared to the 320i. The 6 cylinder sounds much better than the 4 - much much better!
    I regret selling mine!

As for insurance, this is no different to many other cars. Mine did not change when I went from a 1.1L fiesta to a 2L 320i. When I went out buying my current car I got quotes for up to 4.4L and there was no difference in insurance (tax was another story though!).

Advertisement