Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thar be gold in them thar hills!

Options
  • 12-06-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Boys and girls,

First WoW char.. now the game is just starting to get interesting. Have a two questuions, hope some useful advice will follow.

I'm a level 34 Undead Holy preist, with a total of 4 gold since I hit that level (it costs so much for upgrades). No matter how much I save I just can't seem to make enough money. I see people my level on 30g - 40g and more! It just seems unatainable to me that as soon as you make it, you need a new weapon, armour... enchanting is expensive also.

My question is how the hell do you make some decent scrounge in the game?
    I have the option to buy my horse which costs 90G or so in the next few levels and the way it's going I don't think i'll have one until I hit lvl 50.

Bearing in mind this is my first proper wow char and I have a good few questions about him... particularly on fighing as he seems absolutely crap against mages (immune to everything I throw at em) and rogues (you try to cast and they just run behind you, so annoying).

Any help appreciated, or advice on fighting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

holy priest? :) for leveling up a priest character 1- 60 go shadow spec. Undead Shadow priest is arguably the most powerful one v one class in the game. They deal out serious amounts of punishment. Holy priests are more an end game raiding class

Money wise, enchanting will not make much gold until level 60 when everyone is looking for enchants for their epics. To make cash either take up Skinning/herbalism/mining and sell everything or play the auction house and buy stuff cheap and flog it for more later when there is a demand for it

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Go shadow spec....
    you will find the quests from 35 - 40 pay lots of cash and you can sell the items you get when doing the quest.

i cant stress this enough.. STAY AWAY FROM THE AUCTION HOUSE!
    you should not for any reason be upgrading your gear that often, gear you have a level 34 should do you until 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Do the instances. I'm a leatherwearer and got come good armour/weapon drops in SM, ZF, Uldaman etc - never bought a weapon. Not sure what instances give good cloth drops but I'm sure someone here does. Most of the armour and weapons I'm wearing currently (L59) are drops or quest rewards. Only my Stormshroud pants were made.

But you will always make money. When I was doing SM which you're nearly the level for I'd make about 5g per visit minimum. Sometimes more depending on the drops. And you'll never have a problem getting a group - healers are always in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

if you happen to be on my server Al'Akir i will run you through SM a few times with my level 60, you can keep all the stuff that drops and sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I was speaking to a mate about this and he rekons that I should go and grind a low level instance on my own. apperently you get some good gear :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

But in a low level instance you only get low level gear. It all adds up of course but you'll get more on a higher level instance. Anyone remember what level uldaman is? Good drops in that one. Maraudon too if you're on Kalimdor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

That could be tough as a level 34 priest. Personally, I'd just grind instances. Once you hit 36 or so, you'll be able to start on SM. There are some decent coin drops there and plenty of silk. All of which will help.

I had the same problems as you, but I found the closer I got to 40 the easier saving money became. Keep in mind though, that at level 40 you will need about 12g for just skills. Also, see if you can find someone with exalted with your faction (Undercity). With that, they should get a substantial saving on your mount (not the undead horsemanship book) which could save you 10g or so.

Also, rested experience is really bad when it comes to this level. I used to just not play my mage till she had full rested xp (I would play alts or just not play at all) then come back and run an instance a few times. I would level up pretty fast, but I made very little money.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks for all the help guys, i've been playing it on and off and I have been leveling pretty fast myself with rested XP.

As for the holy side of things. If I pay the 1g and go Shadow how much will it cost to revert back to Holy? Ibelieve it costs more? Also will I have to sped a wad of cash learning shadow traits?

Anyhoo, the names BishopCasey on Jaedenar if anyone needs a Holy preist for instances :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hey Layke hows it going m8 :)
    It costs 1g to change talent points first time then 5 g next time and 10 after that i think,it spirals upwards then even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Jaedenar is new realm I think. New realm = war effort = gold.

Drop enchanting (money sink) and take up skinning and herbalism/mining. Try and kill mobs you can skin. Lots of them and hand in the leather. The items you get you can use yourself or put up in AH. If they don't sell in AH, vendor them. It all adds up and you'll be raking it in before you know it.

You can even just sell leather on AH, but make sure you make most of the war effort before it's over. Same with peacebloom/copper bars or whatever you get from other profession.

Also priest sucks :)

• Advertisement

Herbalism and mining are probably the best money makers as everyone goes skinning, especially at the begining of a new server, the reason is simply because skinning is easy. With that said, skinning is incredibly easy, so its worth a though ;)

Yeti's are great for skinning and you can grind on them from about 30-40, around hillsbrad and in feralas. Nice little money earner/skinning level err... up'er.

I thought all new realms had their AQ gates opened? Or is that just ones where people can transfer to?

Oh and Priests definitely do not suck. They are one of the best dps'er (shadow spec). They are fantastic in PvP (shadow spec) and they are one of the most sought after classes. This makes them pretty fun to play.

With a priest, spirit is key. This allows for very little down time. Spirit tap is a great initial investment, regardless of what you plan to spec into, in future, even more so if you solo alot. Trust me though, 1g on changing to shadow spec will completely change the way you saw your class. You might of thought you had to be in a group to get the full use of your class, while this might be true in end game stuff, all the way up to there it couldnt be more wrong :o

Anyway, enjoy playing priest, I made one all the way up to 31, before going back to my mage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

layke wrote:
    Anyhoo, the names BishopCasey on Jaedenar if anyone needs a Holy preist for instances :)

hahahahahahahahaha.... that's pretty damn funny

Dcully, s'up m8 :)

First off, 'The War Effort'???? What's that?

Anyway guys tonight i've decided to go shadow preist (Now I just have to find some one to break the talents).

Just to ask as no one has answered me, if I go shadow will I have to splash out on all the spells again?

Oh and anyone know of a dedicate WoW Ireland webby

Yes and no. All of the base skills will be unaffected, but the talent based skills (some of which have multiple ranks) will need to be bought again. However, these are vastly cheaper than a similar level base skill. So, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Ivan, you sir are a schollar and a gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

lazygit wrote:
    Go shadow spec....
    you will find the quests from 35 - 40 pay lots of cash and you can sell the items you get when doing the quest.

i cant stress this enough.. STAY AWAY FROM THE AUCTION HOUSE!
    you should not for any reason be upgrading your gear that often, gear you have a level 34 should do you until 40

Eh? I am level 22 and I have made about 30 gold from the AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Jumpy wrote:
    Eh? I am level 22 and I have made about 30 gold from the AH.
    I think he meant stay away from buying at the auction house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

As regards fighting, definately respec shadow. Against rogues use your insta cast fear, dot with shadow word pain and the undead plague, shield, run away alot and fear again and mind blast or flash heal when you can for the win. Mages you can do the same with except as shadow you'll also have silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

/spits on undead priests.

Advertisement