Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trading in a punto???

Options
  • 12-06-2006 1:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

howdy guys,

the missus is planning on trading in her Fiat Punto 00D , mileage 45,000 with no problems (except for small amount of cosmetic damage to front wheel arch) so far and passed the NCT last month

been ringing a few garages looking for a trade in price but they keep saying bring it in first and we dont really wanna waste a journey if we're not planning on buying in that garage etc, etc

i know from carzone / cbg the going rate seems to be about €4,000ish on a private sale , but would anyone be able to give a guesstimet (spelling???) on an approx trade in price?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

miju wrote:
    i know from carzone / cbg the going rate seems to be about €4,000ish on a private sale , but would anyone be able to give a guesstimet (spelling???) on an approx trade in price?
    tbh, I think you need to go about it the other way round.

Find a car you want & make an offer of about €6k off the list price, including the Punto as a trade in.

Then you can haggle over both the price of the new car and the trade-in value of the Punto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

yeah fully planning on haggling just nice to know whats average to help me gauge it a bit better is all cos she's feicin hopeless for that kinda stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Sister traded in her 01 Punto recently, think she mentioned that most garages were offering 3k to 3.5k as trade-in.

Unfortunately, Punto's are a dime a dozen in the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

miju wrote:
    i know from carzone / cbg the going rate seems to be about €4,000ish...
    The asking price might be around 4k but the sale price is more likely to be closer to 2.5k. These are going privately for between 2.5 and 3.5 and with the damage you descibe, yours might be on the lower end. It really depends on who you can get to come and see it - if they have an SSIA to blow you might just get your asking price. Depending on what you are buying next you are usually better off getting cash for your own and buying straight as a dealer may not want another 00 punto to shift. Many dealers won't take cars this old anymore except to dispose to the trade and then they are not going to give you big money for it.

Good luck with the sale.

'cptr

thanks for the tips / info guys will come very much in handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

miju wrote:
    howdy guys,

the missus is planning on trading in her Fiat Punto 00D , mileage 45,000 with no problems (except for small amount of cosmetic damage to front wheel arch) so far and passed the NCT last month

been ringing a few garages looking for a trade in price but they keep saying bring it in first and we dont really wanna waste a journey if we're not planning on buying in that garage etc, etc

thanks

I think you have a better chance of getting good money for your Punto if you sell it privately. As others have said the motor trade are not too pushed about Puntos of this age so will probably only offer you token money for it.

If the price for a private sale is around €4k then start advertising it at this price. You will soon know if this is too high by the amount of inquiries you get. Adjust your price then accordingly. There are alot of young people out there learning to drive that will be interested in your Punto as they are easy to learn to drive in plus cheap to tax and insure. I honestly cannot see you getting more for it as a trade-in.

PS. It will be worth your while getting some sort of repair job done on the wing as it will make the car easier to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What Interceptor said ^^

Puntos were big sellers in the second half of the 90s and early 00s. And there are just too many of them in the market. Dealers wouldn't be keen on getting them in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Been looking a bit at Punto HGTs, they are going quite cheap about 4k for a 00/01 on 30k-50k. They don't seem to hold there value very well. Like others said, buy your new car and try and sell it on privately then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

sell private, buy private

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

buy private only if it's significantly cheaper than a dealer, and the car is prepared to a similar standard, serviced, valeted etc.

most importantly if you're buying another Fiat, get it from a dealer and get a good warranty.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:

most importantly if you're buying another Fiat, get it from a dealer and get a good warranty.

wise words. my mother has had nothing but fiats (3 in all, new ones) and she has had nothing but trouble. i've had two myself and guess what- nothing but trouble

5/5 That's pretty bad odds.
    I've had a few Italians myself (Fiats & Alfa) and it's been a bit of a mixed bag!

her last punto had two head gaskets in 6 months. i still wouldn't say they're all bad, but i'd prefer to have my head under the bonnet of 156 on the roadside than sailing boringly past in a mondeo, but i am a bit of a glutton for punishment:D

Yeah, that was my menality too! the trouble was they'd break down at the most inappropriate times. Christmas eve for example (still fixing a 146 in the snow is a beautiful experience ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

cantdecide wrote:
    her last punto had two head gaskets in 6 months. i still wouldn't say they're all bad,
    ^^ lmao at that comment.
    Just what would have to happen before you'd class a car as all bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I dont know the full details here but a friend of mine wanted an 04 Corolla / Astra and had an 01 punto for trade. After a lot of hassle running and racing to dealers she ended up with an 05 Fabia (big difference I know) as no-one interested in a trade in only offering minimum prices. But the skoda dealer was the only one interested in taking it. As far as I know she got about 6.5 - 7.5 off the list price when the others were sticking around 4.
    What are you looking at upgrading to ?

well she's thinking of robbing my Alfa 146 on me and I'm thining of an 2002 Alfa 156 (think they've a really nice shape) so it'll probably being traded in against that depending on price etc

Advertisement