Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Open

• 12-06-2006 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

wrote:

5th rd:

Raymond van Barneveld (Ned) bt Bob Anderson (Eng) 11-3

Barrie Bates (Wal) bt Roland Scholten (Ned) 11-5

John Magowan (NIrl) bt Adrian Lewis (Eng) 11-8

Andy Callaby (Eng) bt John Part (Can) 11-9

Phil Taylor (Eng) bt Colin Lloyd (Eng) 11-2

Robbie Green (Eng) bt Terry Jenkins (Eng) 11-6

Alex Roy (Eng) bt Ronnie Baxter (Eng) 11-9

Alan Tabern (Eng) bt Denis Ovens (Eng) 11-10

Quarter-finals:

Tabern bt Callaby 11-5

Magowan bt Green 11-8

Van Barneveld bt Taylor 11-10

Bates bt Roy 11-10

Semi-finals:

Bates bt Tabern 11-9

Van Barneveld bt Magowan 11-7

Final:

Van Barneveld bt Bates 13-7 ,

Barney takes his first major title then. Some very good performance's along the way and it was very interesting to see young Bates from Wales reaching the final. A very important win for Barney as well over Taylor in what was a thrilling match.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I missed the entire tournament because I was away but I heard it had some great matches. Its fantastic for Barney to have beaten Taylor live on TV and then go on to win the competition. If there were any doubters of his ability after the poor showing the the Premier League Playoffs, he has put that doubt to bed now. Also great to see Magowan make the semi-finals of a major tournement.

Las Vegas is next up which is probably my least favourite tournament but I look forward to it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I saw pretty much everything, and I can't remember enjoying a tournament so much. The highlight of course was the Barneveld-Taylor match.

Barney started great, he was 2-1 up and flying (Taylor threw first in the first leg). But the next two legs were pretty much identical. Barney had one dart left and needed 50, with Taylor not on a finish. Both times he went for the bull and hit the 25. Then on his next throw he couldnt take out the D8. Taylor came in and punsihed him to go 3-2 ahead at the break.

This knocked Barney back a bit and Taylor took the first 3 legs after the break and at 6-2 it looked all over (up to 11). But Barney managed to nick a leg against the throw and then held it own to leave it at 6-4 at the second break. From then on it was pretty much nip and tuck until Barney held throw to make it 10-10 and to the final leg with Taylor throwing first.

Barney started the leg terribly with a 60 and then a 59. It looked like Taylor would run away with the leg comfortably. But then Barney came back wih a maximum and followed it up with a 105 (25 last dart) to leave himself on 97. But at this stage Phil had left himself on 40. Taylor's first dart was a tiny fraction over the wire of the double top, but it looked like it was blocking a lot of the bed. His second dart was awful, as close to the treble as the double. Down to D10, and he misses.

Up steps Barney. Treble 19 - BANG. Double Top - BANG. Game over - Magic!
    It has to be said that in his interview immediately afterwards, Taylor was magnanimous in defeat.

Surprise semi-finalists in Bates, Magoo and Tabern. But they all fully deserved to be there. Bates and Tabern will be top 16 players shortly, no doubt. I usually support the underdog, but I was glad Barney went on to take the title on this occassion. Robbie Green (Kong) was another surprise quarter-finalist who looks the real deal and I'm sure we'll see more of him.

Not a great weekend for the other Irish. Owen Caffrey, Tom Kirby and Mick McGowan all did well to make it to the last 64, but will probably be disappointed they didnt make it further, but they'd hadnt easy draws. Caffrey was well beaten by Ovens, while both Kirby and McGowan lost last leg deciders against Callaby and Mark Walsh respectively.

Big qualifier tomorrow for the World Matchplay in Blackpool. 28 qualify through the rankings, but 4 more can make it in qualifying. Johnny K and Ray Carver are over from the US to have a go.

Bigger names include (one to qualify from each group):
    Group 1: Colin Monk, vander Rassel, Deller, Steve Hine, Whitcombe
    Group 2: Jamie Harvey, Johnny K, Jimmy Mann, Barney, Andy Hamilton
    Group 3: Wayne Jones, Owen Caffrey, Steve Coote, Mick McGowan, Adrian Gray, Tabern
    Group 4: Gary Welding, Ray Carver, Burnett, Magoo, Bates, Steve Alker, Colin Osbourne
    (full draw on planetdarts)

Hopefully Barney will make it, but he's in a tough quarter. Hopefully an Irishman or two will make it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Totally agree lads it was a cracking tournament, the format is very exciting!!!

I thought Taylor should have went for the bull when he had the chance with his 4 last dart......instead he played cautious and hit the 10, knowing he would have 3 darts to hit double top.......its easy to say it now that he should have went for the Bull, but it was my opinion at the time!!!

Also I don't think he likes to finish games with the bull after what happened with Manley.......but you can bet on your nelly that any other player that is playing Taylor would take the bull to win the game!

I do agree that it is good for the sport of Darts that Barney did eventually beat Taylor........but Taylor had his chances and next time I think he will take them!!!

Another cracking game was Mardle and Ady Lewis.......and excellant game!!!

Also well done to John Magown, his 1st 2 legs were disasterous againist Barney and I though "oh no here we go, what a time to play bad darts"........but fair play to him - he lets nothing get to him and played some really great darts!!!

Advertisement