Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless roter not assigning laptop ip address

Options
  • 12-06-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

got one of those 3347wg standard issue froim eircom. i have a laptop with wireless belkin and it seems to hang when connecting,
    i know its something simple but cant find what
    i've tried differnt wep manual/auto wpa-psk security settings from the router and none seem to work, i also made sure they are both using the same channell.
    how do i start troubleshooting this prob?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sorry by hang i mean it stays trying to aquire ip address.....

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

a couple of things first:

1) is it definately is trying to connect to the correct SSID (Network Name)?
    2) is the MAC filter on?
    3) When you went with a Manual key - You are sure you typed it in 100% correctly?
    4) is DHCP activated properly on the router?

I usually find it's one of these things that prevents the connection.
    You can try a manual IP Address to see if it's DHCP Settings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is you laptop card 'g' or 'b' and if it is b have you made sure the router is set to cater for both b and g/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jasperok wrote:
    got one of those 3347wg standard issue froim eircom. i have a laptop with wireless belkin and it seems to hang when connecting,
    i know its something simple but cant find what
    i've tried differnt wep manual/auto wpa-psk security settings from the router and none seem to work, i also made sure they are both using the same channell.
    how do i start troubleshooting this prob?
    The quickest wy to troubleshoot is to give the laptop a fixed IP address - Start/Control Panel/Networks, right click on the wireless adapter, select properties, double-click on Internet Protocol and select "Use the following address".

But it's more likely that the problem is with the wireless configuration, so if setting a static address doesn't help, start by disabling the WEP/WPA-PSK entirely, and seeing if you can get a connection. Change the SSID to verify that you're not conflicting with a neighbours setup (not out of the question if you use default settings, but disable SSID broadcast).

If the router has any logs, see if it is showing any evidence of an attempt to connect.

Advertisement