Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane

• 12-06-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

For a man who divided the Nation 4 years ago, has had best selling plays written about him , and in my mind been a real Irish Legend -- Roy Keane IMO deserves special mention in AH today -- Happy Retirement Roy --- you were a Legend -- and deserve the respect you earned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

OK, HE'S $HITE!! [/rant] :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

But sure he's from cark boi. Of course he's a ledg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Im a bit wary of posting in these thing I dont think we're allowed have soccer debates:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

InFront wrote:
    Im a bit wary of posting in these thing I dont think we're allowed have soccer debates:o
    It's too late, you've done it, now you're gonna be banned with the rest of us! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Off to the thunderdome and off with your head! Wrong forum, read the thread stickied at the top of this forum. NEXT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

banned banned banned

Soccer ==>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

am i banned ? -- genuinely thought it of more interest than just soccer forum - he has been on the front pages nearly more than the back -- and is my hero .
    Close or lock thread - but please no bans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well i dont think this is about soccer. its not a thread about any sport. its about the man, the real life soap that is Roy Keane.

He was one of our best, if not the best, and the only reason he's hated by 50% of us is coz of mis-information about Saipan. He did nothing wrong so lets just say Happy Retirement to a person, who was a great athlete and brought our national team/association forward. the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 flann

InFront wrote:

Man, you really know how to live on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Femmy wrote:
    But sure he's from cark boi. Of course he's a ledg.

he's the exception to the rule ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

flann wrote:
    Man, you really know how to live on the edge.

Is this thread not about retirement???
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

He's a l<unt :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Roy Keane = legend. Sporting hero.

The_B_Man wrote:
    He did nothing wrong

In fairness, the fourth time he quit the team may have been due to McCarthy's bad decision to call a meeting.

The other ocassions, the trip he didn't go on, the 'back injury' that meant he couldn't play in Tehran but allowed him to play 90s mins against Bayern a few days later, and the first time in Saipan when he walked out citing family reasons before returning (before the famous meeting) were all his call. Furthermore, confirming he would return to Kerr and then doing a u-turn on the basis of 'medical evidence' and then another u-turn and forgetting about the medical evidence were also his doing.

Good player, but let's not rewrite history or pretend he was anything more than a footballer with a real miserable attitude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

the 'back injury' that meant he couldn't play in Tehran but allowed him to play 90s mins against Bayern a few days later
    He had an agreement that if Ireland were looking comfortable against Iran he wouldn't play in second leg. As you said, let's not rewrite history

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

so as to keep this thread within the bounds of legality i.e. more than just football -- reasons why Roy Keane is an Irish legend and not just a football legend :-

He was Irish player of the tournament at the USA world cup '94 ;

He lead the first British team to a Championms lg final for 14 years ;

Was the main reason Ireland qualified for World Cup 2002 .

Was the best midfielder in Premiership and i'd say Europe for 10 years

But more importantly and the reason i posted in AH - he raised the acceptable standards set for Irish sport -- i.e. qualifying for tournament not eneogh -- lets win the bloody thing -- even Munster rugby were inspired .

Legend Legend Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

How is that more than just football? You can't post soccer stuff in here just because you're banned from the soccer forum. Pleb.

jdivision wrote:
    He had an agreement that if Ireland were looking comfortable against Iran he wouldn't play in second leg.

Spot on. So as you say, the whole thing was rigged between himself and McCarthy. They were both a disgrace...agreements not to have to represent your country...:mad:
    thebaz wrote:
    Was the best midfielder in Premiership and i'd say Europe for 10 years

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. As a matter of interest did he ever get European player of the year in any of those 10 years? They were throwing them aroundlike confetti for a while, I think Owen and Gerrard got them. Surely he was respected amongst his peers...

fade2black wrote:
    How is that more than just football? You can't post soccer stuff in here just because you're banned from the soccer forum. Pleb.

because i believe he raised the overall standards set for Irish sport , not just football --- as stated Munster rugby looked for inspiration from him before they won Heineken cup -- i believe his impact was much wider than just football --- p.s. i don't think i'm banned from soccer , as i've never posted there .

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote:
    because i believe he raised the overall standards set for Irish sport , not just football

In his last campaign we finished fourth, behind Israel and Switzerland.

He really raised that bar alright. Sure we were way better than the Faeroe Islands and Cyprus alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Spot on. So as you say, the whole thing was rigged between himself and McCarthy. They were both a disgrace...agreements not to have to represent your country...:mad:

It wasn't a disgrace. His club pays his wages. If Ireland were comfortable against Iran then why should he have continued to play on when he was needed by his club a few days later? Get a clue.
    In his last campaign we finished fourth, behind Israel and Switzerland.

He really raised that bar alright. Sure we were way better than the Faeroe Islands and Cyprus alright...

So Keane is to blame for that? Shouldn't the buck stop with the manager?

You just have an anti-Keane agenda apparently. Hey maybe Roy is responsible for global warming too? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

This is the thing, despite Keane's retirement, what will probably be remembered more than anything (judging from this thread so far) will be the moments which blighted his career namely the Saipan fiasco, the Haaland challenge and the fall-out at Man Utd.

Great player, leader and captain though I generally sympathise with him for ruining his own chances of playing for Ireland in his prime at a World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Needed a man of the match performance from given to help us beat cyprus away. And a goal late on to get undo the mighty faeroe islans.

But as we all know, if Ireland did well at something it was all down to ROy keane, however if we did badly it was because the rest of the players werent good enough. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

It wasn't a disgrace. His club pays his wages. If Ireland were comfortable against Iran then why should he have continued to play on when he was needed by his club a few days later? Get a clue.

Doesn't country come before club (FIFA or UEFA regulations or something)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But as we all know, if Ireland did well at something it was all down to ROy keane, however if we did badly it was because the rest of the players werent good enough.

That's pretty much it, aside from some other players like Keano, Duff, and Cunningham, and us not doing well because sometimes Keane couldn't lift the team.

Ultimately, Keane gave us the impression that Irish football had the potential to win the World Cup, I'd imagine he was the only person in that team that really believed Ireland could win the World Cup.

Now that he is gone, we are coming to be a bit of a realisation about the quality of Irish soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll give Keane the same fond farewell he gave the Southampton fans last May.

Really nice guy though, refused to shake my hand once.

Advertisement