Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey and the EU

Options
  • 12-06-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5071806.stm

So do you think the EU should be talking to Turkey about joining the EU or should they have to do more?

Personally, I think that talks are a good idea although I have reservations about human rights abuses and their recognition of Cyprus. I think that there should be very clear goals that Turkey must meet within a specified timeframe or else forefit talks for ten years or so. That would encourage the Turkish governement and people to decide exactly how much they want membership of the EU.

What do other posters think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

First off...if Turkey refuses to recognise a current EU state....there isnt a hope in hell of them ever joining the EU.

Only 5% of this vast country with a population sky rocketing to the 100Million mark actually resides in what we today recognise as Europe.

They want in because they know it will make their country wealthy....but are they really European or Asian(Middle Eastern)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I was in Istanbul 2 weeks ago and the health and safety standards are atrocious... I had a couple of nasty falls because of it. They are certainly no where near meeting EU standards at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

zuma wrote:

They want in because they know it will make their country wealthy....but are they really European or Asian(Middle Eastern)?

And Ireland wanted in because it wanted a symbolic sisterhoold of white Europe? Of course not! We wanted the bling bling and the ka-ching. :D I dont know if theyre european or asian, you know the eastern european countries used to be asian, now many of them are in the EU. It doesnt matter as far as I know and theyd bring a bit of colour to europe, pun intended.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

zuma wrote:
    Only 5% of this vast country with a population sky rocketing to the 100Million mark actually resides in what we today recognise as Europe.
    Who's we? And what's their definition of Europe?
    zuma wrote:
    They want in because they know it will make their country wealthy...
    That's as good a reason as any to work with them towards accession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Surely Turkey have more to gain from the EOU and should be trying to conform to the EU rather than threaten to boycott talks. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Surely Turkey have more to gain from the EOU and should be trying to conform to the EU rather than threaten to boycott talks. :confused:
    I thought that myself Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Well if Turkish laywers are capable of shooting dead a judge and wounding several others they can stay where they are for the time being.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/17/uturkey.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/05/17/ixworld.html

There are a lot of tit for tat killings going on there too between the police/army and the PKK.
    Saw a documentary on CH4 about it a few weeks back.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4195484.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

tallus wrote:
    There are a lot of tit for tat killings going on there too between the police/army and the PKK.
    Saw a documentary on CH4 about it a few weeks back.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4195484.stm

Yeah but if that was enough reason then perhaps Britain and Ireland shouldn't have been allowed to join due to the Troubles? It is certainly an issue but I don't think that it is enough in itself. The human rights issue and also their stance against Islamic extremism would be major issues for me.

I wonder how the people of Turkey feel about the EU in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭w66w66

It’s interesting that the integrationists and the anti-integrationists are both strongly in favour of this EU expansion. Although personally I see more logic behind the Anti-integrationists position, as I fail to see how the continuation of European integration will possible work if the EU goes ahead with this bold expansion.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote:
    Yeah but if that was enough reason then perhaps Britain and Ireland shouldn't have been allowed to join due to the Troubles? It is certainly an issue but I don't think that it is enough in itself. The human rights issue and also their stance against Islamic extremism would be major issues for me.

I wonder how the people of Turkey feel about the EU in general?
    Agreed r3nu4l but it's still a consideration none the less.

Advertisement