Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography (higher)

Options
  • 12-06-2006 4:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

Just finished my geography... thought it was a piece of piss!

What did everyone think?

How much were you supposed to write for the 30 mark long questions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

lmfao it was so easy

Short questions were practically:

Is this a rock.

rock-granite.jpg

Yes[]
    No[]

Tick the correct box above.

:D

General knowledge questions really... anyone could have got 100% in the first part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

i hate to think what the marking scheme will be like...

Easy Exam = Hard Marking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

I thought the short q's were okish, the regional questions were kinda icky... YAY for rocks though! and i did the migration q in the elective. and the biome. i finished at 4! my hand is still dead! yay yay no more geog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill be very very disappointed if i dont get a high B! i loved every minute of it!!!!!!
    brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Yeah twas fairly great alright!! I'm delighted, all that worrying for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I def got full marks in the short ans. I only wrote 1 page for the geoecology question :( but my points wer good tho.

Never will have to do Geography again!! Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Geography is adorable... It thinks it's a real subject, but with this new course, and it's "write an essay about global warming" lark it's just common sense.
    (No offense to anybody who fails...) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It was a nice paper, specially the global interdependance. BUT my mock paper was still far easier.

marking scheme is gonna be weird...

cant see how anyone wouldn't get at least 70/80 on short q's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 schnupi

jesus am i the only one who thought it was hard? well not hard but harder then the mocks. alright the short questions were easy enough but wots with the human elective questions. all those questions on site and situation or some kind of bollox.. i wrote like 1 nd 1/2 pages on 30 mark questions thou i started off writing 2 pages for those questions. i didnt do a 30 mark question which will bring me down i'd say

did anybody do the volcano question with part c being two landforms of volcanic processes? is it alright if i wrote bout a volcano,i.e. mountain ,and then a volcanic island?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i hate geography, and for that result am reluctant to say "oh it was great!" ; thats a bit too passionate for my liking ;)

i messed up my timing, ending up doing my short question in about 4 mins.. didnt do them at the start, which i shoulda
    so i probably got a few wrong cos of not reading them properly.. but yeah, they were a bit of a joke

all teh other questions were grand, really general

if i had an extra 20 minutes or something i would written things a bit better.

but well, i got everything done, and i dont think you could possibly complain about anything on it really

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

schnupi wrote:
    jesus am i the only one who thought it was hard? well not hard but harder then the mocks. alright the short questions were easy enough but wots with the human elective questions. all those questions on site and situation or some kind of bollox.. i wrote like 1 nd 1/2 pages on 30 mark questions thou i started off writing 2 pages for those questions. i didnt do a 30 mark question which will bring me down i'd say

did anybody do the volcano question with part c being two landforms of volcanic processes? is it alright if i wrote bout a volcano,i.e. mountain ,and then a volcanic island?

mine went crap:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I thought it was alright, some of the language used in the questions was fairly difficult. In one of the regional, they had a question where you had to talk about one economic acrivity, but the heading was manufacturing industry. I talked about industry in india, but i wanted to write about agriculture which is an economic activity but the heading put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Can't believe what Im just after doing??? I wrote about India for the non- Irish European region in question five- the 20 marker... and the rest of it went so well and now Ive gone and ****ed it up!!

Physical was fine.. Did the one on rocks and quarrying. Regional- Well as I said I just threw 20 marks down thw swanny hole!

Elective was fine. Did the one with the GNP Graph, CAP and secondary sector industries.

Geoecology- BIOME CAME UP!! I nearly lept off my seat with joy!

Short questions- A doodle. If you'd never done Geog you'd have got them.. If only I hadn't ****ed up my regional!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Just home there.

The Regional questions were kinda hard I thought. I did the one with the culture question as part C. Made the whole thing up. I did Mezzigiorno for A and India for B. I hope that's what they were looking for.

The Physical questions were fine. I did Q2 and for part B did a Waterfall, C Colorado River Human processes. The question A for [20] marks was so easy.

The Human Elective I fuc'ked up. Had no idea what was going on but again got full marks for the A part.

The options :eek: that's all I can say. I ran out of time and only wrote a page... I'd be lucky to get 10 marks for that :(

Short Questions were fun :p all the Colooooours

I'd say I got a high D at the most and I need a C3 :(

Physical was fine.. Did the one on rocks and quarrying. Regional- Well as I said I just threw 20 marks down thw swanny hole!

aah 20 marks is only 4% overall, dont worry too muhc about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Went fine! Was very happy with it...

Short Q's too easy

Physical good too, i did the one with the coastal diagram and the landform

Regional i was very happy with, i wasn't properly prepared for a european region and i managed to escape it and just do India and Dublin!

Elective, would have went perfect only for i knew i was running out of time and had to abandon part C 30 marks gone but i'll deal with it![i did the one with the graph and the MNC]

Global interdependance!! What can i say, it was a brilliant question, choice between two of desertification, global warming and deforestation.....i loved it and got 3 and a half pages done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Did anyone do the geo-ecology question in the option?

I did, and I ended up writing 800 words..

yeah i did the one of human interference

it was almost 3 pages.. so i've no idea how many words that is

do you think 800 is too much or too little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Shrimp wrote:
    Did anyone do the geo-ecology question in the option?

I did, and I ended up writing 800 words..
    I did, and wrote a page. :( Ran out of time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

I did the geoecology one too, ended up writing four pages for it. I know ya, Rockerette but I was seriously hoping for an A1 in my Goeg, it's like the only subject I had a chance of getting it in.. Dya think Ill get attempt marks( I wish)??!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

twas just as i predicted - easy and common sense :)

was harder than the mocks though for me, some nasty little questions, i actually had to ponder over which questions i would do cause in part (a)'s they were handy but some part b's and c's were dodgy so i had to find a question which i thought i could do all parts in.

i reckon i got 80% overall in geography after today, hopefully i'll get an A :) doubt it though, i'll get a B anyway which is grand.

geography "the most bluffable subject in the LC" :D i'll be delighted if i can bluff my way to an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I think 800 is enough like.. i mean the whole project that u do before the exam is only 1000, so 80 aint bad.. then again.. they can sometimes mark kinda hard when you do loads.. ah well.. I'd say I did grand.. just need the honour..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I thought it was alright, some of the language used in the questions was fairly difficult. In one of the regional, they had a question where you had to talk about one economic acrivity, but the heading was manufacturing industry. I talked about industry in india, but i wanted to write about agriculture which is an economic activity but the heading put me off.
    Yeah i noticed that and i thought it was odd how they didn't mention manufacturing in the question. I did it but i wanted to talk about agriculture in the south west of america specifically california and like you the heading put me off.

I thought the short q's were grand. I did the q about volcanoes and eathquakes but i didn't do the part b right. I messed up the regional. I wrote 2 pages about the CAP, so i had to rush the rest.

I thought the wording of some of the q's were odd.
    I know a guy who didn't do the 80 marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

made a balls of it for such an easy paper!
    messed up the human interference part, my 2 landforms were on that bloody diagram so had 2 make stuff up bout a waterfall!!!
    regional was nice got close to full marks i hope
    don't know bout the map q cos correctors seem to not like me and them!! did a page, went on bout religious defensive settlements and some crap about a river blah blah blah
    geoecology=went blank and forgot most of it when i got up this morning to study!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

It was so funny, everyone went straight to the back and there was a big cheer when people saw the biome question. I threw down three pages on the biome and then did the short answers so with my project I was home and dry within half an hour, the rest of the exam was spent trying to get it up to a B - think I just about did it.

Anyone else quote statistics from the barcharts on the economic elective for the human elective "Discuss economic implication of EU expansion on ireland's economy/culture" ? Free marks methinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

My best exam so far. I didn't really study for it but I read over my wad of notes last night and this morning, and with 5 exams left to do in my secondary education, I realise now that I remember stuff without learning it off by heart.

I got my timing perfect....was finishing off my last part c just as she called time. Wrote about 3 1/2 pages for the option.....got plenty of facts down in my answers. Overall I did way better (or at least I think I did) than I thought.

Did anyone do the human elective question where you discuss 3 reasons why Killarney developed where it is? I said religious settlement, location and tourism. Had never really done anything like it so I'm not too sure how I did
    made a balls of it for such an easy paper!
    messed up the human interference part, my 2 landforms were on that bloody diagram so had 2 make stuff up bout a waterfall!!!
    regional was nice got close to full marks i hope
    don't know bout the map q cos correctors seem to not like me and them!! did a page, went on bout religious defensive settlements and some crap about a river blah blah blah
    geoecology=went blank and forgot most of it when i got up this morning to study!!!

Yeh I was thinking that in the exam...bit unfair on people who had studied any of the landforms in A. But why couldn't you still discuss the formation of them? I mean, you're obviously gonna know what the feckin thing looks like at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SirCretop

The exam was pretty straightforward.

The Shorts Answer Questions were a joke - so easy.

I did the Plate Tectonics Question. Had a sample answer prepared for the Earthquake Question and for C I did basalt plateau and volcanoes. Easy again.

Regional Geography was ok. Wrote about the secondary sector in India. Had it learned off so was straight forward for me.

The human elective I bluffed my way through. Just common sense really.

Did global warming and deforestation for last part and wrote 3 pages.

For all the 30 mark q's I wrote between 1 and 1 and a half pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Funkstard wrote:
    Did anyone do the human elective question where you discuss 3 reasons why Killarney developed where it is? I said religious settlement, location and tourism.

yip i did that, said it was due to:

defensive reasons and gave refernces to castles and how it was situated behind a mountain and lake and all that craic.

flat land = how killarney itself was relatively flat and easy to build on, few contours on map.

lowest bridging point on the river = people used it to trade, meet up and it expanded from there.

tourism only comes after it has developed imo, so that's a dodgy point but i'd give you marks cause it could be argued it has old attractions and nice landscape and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unreg1987

Yep was pretty good, easier than pres.

I did the Aid global interdependence question, I figured half of Ireland would b doing global warming/desertification/deforestation.

How much did everyone write for 30 markers? I wrote about 1 page or a little less for all of them.

Advertisement