Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography (higher)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

unreg1987 wrote:
    Yep was pretty good, easier than pres.

I did the Aid global interdependence question, I figured half of Ireland would b doing global warming/desertification/deforestation.

How much did everyone write for 30 markers? I wrote about 1 page or a little less for all of them.

same, roughly a page or so.

only did 2 pages for the 80 marker quality was good though. did 13 pages in all + the booklet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

smemon wrote:
    yip i did that, said it was due to:

defensive reasons and gave refernces to castles and how it was situated behind a mountain and lake and all that craic.

flat land = how killarney itself was relatively flat and easy to build on, few contours on map.

lowest bridging point on the river = people used it to trade, meet up and it expanded from there.
    I used same points. Also talked about how the big house could have been a landlords house & he would look down on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Was I the only one who the whole way through I just kept thinking "is that enough SRP's"

Also, there was a question on regional where it said "Discuss a continental/non-continental with reference to the following..." I did Dublin and was wondering if anybody can confirm if this is right as I made sure it didn't specify "non-Irish" like in the other's :confused:

Also, Q2 in the SAQ had me stumped for ages - that triangle thing was so wierd! Oh and did anyone do the question with the picture of the sea stump, etc. What was the black thing you'd to label? It didn't seem to be anything :wacko:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

It was easy, now i wished i studyed more!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

smemon wrote:

defensive reasons and gave refernces to castles and how it was situated behind a mountain and lake and all that craic.

flat land = how killarney itself was relatively flat and easy to build on, few contours on map.

lowest bridging point on the river = people used it to trade, meet up and it expanded from there.

tourism only comes after it has developed imo, so that's a dodgy point but i'd give you marks cause it could be argued it has old attractions and nice landscape and stuff.

i said the lake/river --> for transport, fishing, cooking etc
    flat land --> easy to develop
    and i was stuck for a 3rd, so i said foresty --> for hunting ( :o ) and fuel..

i was concious of not going too much into the historical aspect of it, in terms of Celtic/Stone Age/Plantation settlements, cos that was on a another question wasnt it?
    so i stuck to more physical

and i mentioned tourism in recent years in the first and last few lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Rob30888 wrote:
    Was I the only one who the whole way through I just kept thinking "is that enough SRP's"

Also, there was a question on regional where it said "Discuss a continental/non-continental with reference to the following..." I did Dublin and was wondering if anybody can confirm if this is right as I made sure it didn't specify "non-Irish" like in the other's :confused:

Also, Q2 in the SAQ had me stumped for ages - that triangle thing was so wierd! Oh and did anyone do the question with the picture of the sea stump, etc. What was the black thing you'd to label? It didn't seem to be anything :wacko:

Oh, sub-continental is India, or SW USA, non-European! A stupid way to put it, and confusing.

Coastal photo was vague, alright. I said wave-cut platform.

Edit: I thought it said sub-continental, was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

Funkstard wrote:

Did anyone do the human elective question where you discuss 3 reasons why Killarney developed where it is? I said religious settlement, location and tourism. Had never really done anything like it so I'm not too sure how I did

Yeah i did that question! i wrote about the river for survival with water, transport and hygiene reasons, religious settlements and i bull****ted that beside the post office was like a square which could have been a market where trade and food nessessities were got!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

you werent suppose to use the photo it was the ordinance survey map was it not????

Rockerette wrote:
    and i was stuck for a 3rd, so i said foresty --> for hunting ( :o ) and fuel..

:D poor effort for the third, i wouldn't give you any marks as i'd think you were bluffing and were chancing your arm ;) my points are much better, i'd think this guy knows his stuff and give him full marks. :p

disappointed rockerette, i'd expect better from a woman of your calibre :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Yeah, i was thinking it all depends on how they will mark the field study. I can't really see how they will differentiate between As and Bs and Cs in the field study,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Damn! I didn't notice that 'economic activity' question had 'manufacturing industry' written above! Oh well, I answered the question pretty well, it's their own fault for not being specific enough :D Pleased overall though, but I need an A1 so it's a bit iffy.

What did people do for the local and global interests elective? I talked about pollution in the EU and MNCs moving countries.

smemon wrote:
    :D poor effort for the third, i wouldn't give you any marks as i'd think you were bluffing and were chancing your arm ;) my points are much better, i'd think this guy knows his stuff and give him full marks. :p

disappointed rockerette, i'd expect better from a woman of your calibre :D

i know, i was disappointed with myself and my poor bluffing skills...! usually i come up with somethign slightly more impressive. oh, i think i also mentioned the river woudl be good for washing in... :o

maybe my charming handwriting will seduce the examiner... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

smemon wrote:

tourism only comes after it has developed imo, so that's a dodgy point but i'd give you marks cause it could be argued it has old attractions and nice landscape and stuff.

Yeh I was thinking that...but it would be an incentive for development. I mentioned all the local historical areas of interest, the scenic views, hillwalking, ring of kerry route, and then gave the golf course as evidence that tourism had developed there. I dunno...it wasn't bullshítted so it shouldn't be too bad. The question wasn't 'why was it created from nothing', it was 'why did it develop', so tourism is at least somewhat relevant imo.

Rockerette wrote:
    i think i also mentioned the river woudl be good for washing in... :o

and that's how Killarney developed :) that's a gud one.

oh i know

I'm definitely worried over geography now. Every single person I've talked to said they did absolutely deadly in it. How are they gonna mark it if everyone's is A standard? Anyone think they could have made the course too easy/predictable?

Funkstard wrote:
    I'm definitely worried over geography now. Every single person I've talked to said they did absolutely deadly in it. How are they gonna mark it if everyone's is A standard? Anyone think they could have made the course too easy/predictable?

yes it's too easy, too predictable, too much choice. but geography is common sense anyway - it was always easy to pass.

by the letter of the law, people should be nailed in the project because theyve deliberately broken the word count and tried to get extra marks by doing so - that's an easy way to clamp down on the number of A's - a fair way too.

i'd imagine a % of marks in each questions will be going for diagrams too which many people tend to neglect.

SRP's are what most people talk about and im sure most people have implemented but overall cohesion is an area i'm sure people have also neglected - does it read well, have they state, explained related?

these are all nitty gritty things which people could be nailed for if the examiners were real *insert word here*.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

No, Smemon I disagree with you there about the diagrams thing.. Theres no way they can dock marks for not having a diagram.. Sure there's many questions on the paper that a diagram couldn't been drawn for. They are not compulsory so you can't be docked marks for not having one... My teacher has been to a load of conferences and she said only draw diagrams if asked.

smemon wrote:
    yes it's too easy, too predictable, too much choice. but geography is common sense anyway - it was always easy to pass.

by the letter of the law, people should be nailed in the project because theyve deliberately broken the word count and tried to get extra marks by doing so - that's an easy way to clamp down on the number of A's - a fair way too.

i'd imagine a % of marks in each questions will be going for diagrams too which many people tend to neglect.

SRP's are what most people talk about and im sure most people have implemented but overall cohesion is an area i'm sure people have also neglected - does it read well, have they state, explained related?

these are all nitty gritty things which people could be nailed for if the examiners were real *insert word here*.

Nope they can't really take marks away for going over the word limit as they ended up saying "you should not go over 1000 words", not "you can not go over 1000 words". That's the rules they set out and they can't penalise us for that. You think everyone went over the word limit intentionally to cram in more information - that wasn't what happened with us. I went 70 or so words over without sticking in anything extra at all.

Secondly, I don't think diagrams/sketch maps ended up being important. There's no way in hell we could have written the answer to a 30mk question with a sketch map in 12 mins. Also, the sketch maps should be there for a reason, to further explain something. The questions didn't really allow for that. None of the questions I answered did anyway.

"your report should not exceed a total length of 1000 words"

"you should not write more than this"

introduction "maximum words 50"
    planning "maximum words 100"
    gathering of data "maximum words 450"
    results/concl/eval "maximum words 400"

taken from the official booklet, seems pretty clear to me they don't want you going over 1000 words :)

added to the fact in the sample marking scheme they give marks for 'conformity of length' i don't think there is any doubt you'll be docked marks for going over.

they could actually mark you on your first 100 words, or first 450 or 400 and leave the rest - going by the rules, they could do that if they were to try and lower your grade :D don't blame me, they're the rules.

• Advertisement

Smemon, its worth 6 marks...

they said in a conference that as long as you didn't add extra lines to pages you were fine.

i quote

"we will not be asking examiners to count words"

they cannot take any more than 6 marks from you....

(and they wont)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Ya, they can actually take away marks for length, but they cant take away marks for not having diagrams- and I agree with you Funkstard, we just didnt have time to be drawing diagrams

Advertisement