Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defining which Network connection to use for Internet access

• 12-06-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have 3 NICs on my machine, 2 *1000BaseT and 1 802.11G.

My wireless one uses the wireless router to access the web and the other NICs are generally unused except when I use them to copy information from machines that connected via a crossover cable.

Problem is this. I would like to use my internet connection while this information is being copied but for some reason IE and all other apps go through the NIC rather than the Wireless.

How can i set it up that it uses the wireless card rather the gig nics...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

In your network settings just use the IP of your wireless as the gateway.

The problem is windows detects a faster connection through the NIC and thats the reason it's defaulting to that adapter.

Use static IP's.

g'luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Right click my network places and click properties, click advanced then click advanced settings and from there you have an option to change the connection order. Move the wireless to the top, that way it should always use that route first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Sickboy you might be onto something.

layke .. Cant use static IPs, the Router uses DHCP.

Will try this evening and let you know

THanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

route print - will list the routes you use. if two routes can go somewhere the one with the lowest metric will win. Dialup usually gets a lower metric than gigabit card :rolleyes:

to route all internet traffic via router 192.168.1.1 (not the NIC address)
    route add -p 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

layke .. Cant use static IPs, the Router uses DHCP.

Doesnt matter. You can still use a static IP. Though, Ideally, move the DHCP range up by 5 (eg from x.x.x.0-254 to x.x.x.5-254) on the router then specify the IP's manually on the client machines. If you dont do this, It may try to assign the IP allready allocated to your static machines to a another computer on the network.

Some routers allow you to force an IP address for a particular machine either by MAC address or NetBIOS name, might be worth a try too.

Anyway, static IP with the gateway missing from one of the connections is the most reliable way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ipconfig will tell you if the NIC and WiFI are on the same or different subnets

if on different subnets a simple route would suffice
    if on the same then youd best change them since you can use the interface parameter in route to set it, it's not the best.

there is a whole world of IP setup in NETSH if you 2K / XP etc.

Advertisement