Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agent arsing around?? advice needed...

Options
  • 12-06-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all

boyfriend and myself bought a house in north county dublin a year ago and decided after a while that it is just too far out for us (we're talking area skerries, rush, lusk).
    having both new and better paid jobs than we did when buying the house we decided to move back to town and started looking around.
    at the same time we contacted several estate agents and were told it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks viewing to get a sale finalized.
    so we went with an agent from a well known company seeing that her price was ok and she seemed to be quite capable.
    this is app. 6 weeks ago now.
    we found a house in town in the meantime and after being told by our agent that we have an offer for the asking price we went sale agreed.
    this offer however has vanished since, apparently the agent can't get in contact with that person anymore.
    other people go in, come back with great feedback on our house but nobody seems to put an offer in.
    i would be happy with getting an offer for the asking price, no need to do the whole bidding, i at this point really only want to get things over and done with... but nothing seems to happen and i am now really anxious about loosing the house in town (it's nothing special but just done up the way i really really like it and it's just so perfect for us).
    i think she might have listed the asking price too high in the first place and told her i am willing to discuss any offers that come in. but she doesn't seem to be interested in considering this...

is there anything i can do to make things move a bit faster? is she taking the piss by now telling me that the market has changed and this is just how things are at the moment???
    i just really really really want to get things over and done with, move to the new house and not think about this house stuff again...

thanks for reading....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Have you considered going with another agent?

Probably the easiest way to tell if she has put the asking price too high is to look on daft and myhome.ie and see what other similar properties are listed as.

It is the summer however, and from what I've heard, things do quieten down in these months.

Is there a chance the estate agent has been away on holidays for a couple of weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sunny_Dublin

i checked the prices of other houses in the estate already and our house is on the upper end but still within range.... now at least. was a bit different 6 weeks ago when the house was put up on the market but looks ok since 3 weeks.... plus agent mentioned several times that our house was in a much better condition than most other ones she has on the market so price in her eyes is justified.
    agent was definitely not on holidays either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If a house doesn't get offers it's usually because it's priced too high but that doesn't seem to be the case here. To put it bluntly it sounds like she can't actually sell and is only in the job because the boom in house prices means that people compete against each other anyway, with or without an agent who's good at their job. A lot of them got found out in the 2001 slowdown and got laid off. The agent is there to sell the house for you, if she doesn't seem interested in listening it doesn't matter. Make her. Her job is to do the best job possible for her client - that means customer satisfaction is everything. I'd be interested in knowing who the agent is - if you don't feel like posting it, maybe pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sunny_Dublin

jdivision, pm'ed you, thanks for your help!!

just wanted to add that i am a bit confused now. we had 4 viewings over the weekend according to agent and i was told yesterday evening that 2 parties didn't even show. they apparently called and said that the house is out of their price range.
    a) shouldn't the agent pick up on this?
    b) have there even been appointments or is that only the agent trying to make things look better?

in the last conversation with her i was now told that if i loose the property we went already sale agreed on there will be plenty more... which kinda makes me think i probably really should switch agents. but that could push things put agaon, no? with hte new agent having to set things up, taking pictures and so on?

i sooo have enough of this.. gggrrrr...:mad:

Advertisement