Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

legal-ish question

Options
  • 12-06-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Oh sort story to cover what im on about.

A lad that works here came off his bike over the weekend , lucky not to be killed but is badly hurt all the same . (Now this guy is sound enough and not trying to be an ass or anything but he is not all there ......engine running but nobody behind the wheel). He is driving an Bandit 1200 i think on a provisonal licence which means no insurance or tax on the bike what so ever . If Gardai were call to the accident ,as an ambulance was , can they charge him with the follow, dangerous driving , Driving with out a proper license , driving with out tax and driving with out insuance.

and will he just be banned permantly form driving .
    He should be recoverd and back at work in 2-3months , were just wondering will he forced to walk everywhere from now on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the cops were called, I reckon they will always look for evidence of licence and insurance.

Your pal is in trouble I'd imagine. What he did was inexcusable too.

Imagine if he'd hit and injured a pedestrian or made another car or bike swerve and crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

He certainly deserves to be charged with all the offences you listed and more if you could think of them! Suppose he knocked someone else down and injured or killed them, then the driving ban would be the least of his troubles. Suppose the person he knocked down or killed was your mother, father, wife or worse still, child, what would you feel?. There's a reason why he's not supposed to drive that machine on a provisional licence.

To be honest I would have expected more from his work colleagues..... if the lift doesn't go to the attic he should have been stopped by his mates from driving this machine and if that failed, then you should have gone to the gardai behind his back. I know that won't be a popular suggestion but if he was killed, would you then say, "why didn't we do something including going to the gardai? It's too late now". Driving like this is irresponsible and has ruined many lives! Get your mate to cop on instead of feeling sorry for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'm not clear on what you are saying. Did the Gardai arrive on the scene or not?
    If they didn't, and nobody makes a statement then little can be done.

If they did arrive he's in bother. Unless there is clear evidence of dangerous driving, i doubt he'll be charged for it (maybe careless or lesser). Possibly a ban, regardless.
    For no license, tax and insurance, he will be done. The biggest penalty will be for no insurance.
    A permanent ban is highly unlikely, though depending on the judge, a couple of years off the road is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

If the accident was reported and your friend had been taken to hospital without speaking to a garda then the garda attending has one month to demand production of licence and insurance from the driver/rider. If there were other vehicles involved and if an ambulance attended it is highly likely it was reported.

Advertisement