Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Stamp Duty Question...

Options
  • 12-06-2006 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

So myself and the wife are in the process of buying our first house.
    This morning in the post i got an invoice from our solictior stating that we have to pay in around 12,000 stamp duty!

Now:
    1. We are both First Time Buyers.
    2. We will be owner occupiers and not renting any rooms.
    3. The house is Second Hand built in 1986.
    4. The house is valued at 310,000

im afraid in cant remember the square footage of the house.. its a normal sized 4 bed.

i tried to call the solictor this morning but of course she is OOO!

can anyone advise.. the receptionist said it could have been a misprint...
    not a nice suprise first thing on a monday.. im afraid we will have to pullout of the sale as its 12k we cant afford!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

If you are both first time buyers and the house is under the 317,500 threshold, it is unlikely that you owe stamp duty.

When you say the house is valued at 310,000 do you mean that is the price you are paying for it? (just checking)

I don't think the size of the house matters unless it is a new build (which you have said it is not.)

Query the solicitor again when she is back in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

lazygit wrote:
    So myself and the wife are in the process of buying our first house.
    This morning in the post i got an invoice from our solictior stating that we have to pay in around 12,000 stamp duty!

Now:
    1. We are both First Time Buyers.
    2. We will be owner occupiers and not renting any rooms.
    3. The house is Second Hand built in 1986.
    4. The house is valued at 310,000

im afraid in cant remember the square footage of the house.. its a normal sized 4 bed.

i tried to call the solictor this morning but of course she is OOO!

can anyone advise.. the receptionist said it could have been a misprint...
    not a nice suprise first thing on a monday.. im afraid we will have to pullout of the sale as its 12k we cant afford!
    I thought the cut-off was 317,500 before you pay stamp duty...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Hello!

Were paying 310,000

anyway she got back to me! one of her new staff was drawing up the invoice and used the wrong forms.. she used the ones from before the budget changed the stamp duty ranges ...silly bint!

all is well.. no stamp duty required.. what a way to start a monday morning tho!

thanks for the replys

Advertisement