Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[EL} 11 Shels players walk out on club ??? unpaid???

• 12-06-2006 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours surrounding the fate of 11 Shels players who walked over non payment of wages for several weeks.
    Rumoured to be headed to Pats are J Harris, Ndo to Drogheda (maybe Shels should ahve taken us on our offer), Fenlon owed 20k or thereabouts.

If true the club SHOULD be deducted points under the licencing rule but HAH much chance of that happening.

Wonder if any Shels fans could shed some light on the finanical problems of Irelands best ran and best funded club?

Will this incident step up the sale fo Tolka rumoured to U2s accountant who is buying the ground.

What happens Shels now???? Tallaght????

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Linky? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Linky? :(

Rumour, nothing on any website nor on your own webforum, but is true how much exactly is anyones guess or maybe you know something about it?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I wonder if they 3 Amigos who left Bohs at the end of '04 are among that 11? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

KdjaC wrote:
    Rumours surrounding the fate of 11 Shels players who walked over non payment of wages for several weeks.
    Rumoured to be headed to Pats are J Harris, Ndo to Drogheda (maybe Shels should ahve taken us on our offer), Fenlon owed 20k or thereabouts.

If true the club SHOULD be deducted points under the licencing rule but HAH much chance of that happening.

Wonder if any Shels fans could shed some light on the finanical problems of Irelands best ran and best funded club?

Will this incident step up the sale fo Tolka rumoured to U2s accountant who is buying the ground.

What happens Shels now???? Tallaght????

kdjac
    If what you say is true, Shels could loose the license entirely. I'll dig up the exact wording of the rules this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaC wrote:

I've said it before on at least two occassions, can't provide links or name sources, but there has been persistent problems for the club in paying players and coaching staff over the last few years. Usually lasts a few weeks, then the individuals involved confront Ollie and they get their back pay.

Very dodgy dealings at Tolka...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

All bullshit until proven otherwise , no link TUT TUT Kdjac.

Sarge wrote:
    All bullshit until proven otherwise , no link TUT TUT Kdjac.

Is no link yet, there has been serious issues there for a while now, ever read about it on any website or in any newspaper?

Its Shels not Rovers.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

There have been rumour of the fat one and horseboy coming back and theyre already proven moneygrabbers so wouldnt be surprised if theyre part of the 11

This 2week break must be a disaster for Shels (and all EL clubs) in terms of no match night income. At least we still have carpark and bar takings

bohsman wrote:
    At least we still have carpark and bar takings

We just dont pay them :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

John_C wrote:
    If what you say is true, Shels could loose the license entirely. I'll dig up the exact wording of the rules this evening.
    Sorry,
    It looks like I was slightly wrong. The rule is below and it seems that clubs are allowed to go into arrears once they pay it all by the end of the season.
    The Licence Applicant must prove that
    it has had no payables overdue arising
    from contractual agreements with its
    employees (all professional players
    according to Article 4 of the FIFA
    Regulations for the Status and Transfer
    of players. This includes the General
    Manager, the Head of Youth
    Development Programme, the Finance
    Officer, the Head Coach, the Security
    Officer, Garda policing costs and the
    Medical Staff including one doctor one
    physiotherapist) up to the 30th
    November 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

If this is true, then it's poetic justice. They bought the Three Judai as a (spectacularly successful) squad-wrecking tactic.
    I think most Bohs fans could live with the return of Crowe, but not as a big-money item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think this one does the rounds every so often, so wouldnt pay too much attention to it this time either.

The only thing Ive read id that Shels have no money to buy anyone, but thats no surprise considering their poor season last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Do people have to humour this rumour pretty much every year? Joey Ndo must have signed for every EL club around by now, he obviously just keeps forgetting to stop showing up at Tolka.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Do people have to humour this rumour pretty much every year? Joey Ndo must have signed for every EL club around by now, he obviously just keeps forgetting to stop showing up at Tolka.
    Spoilsport.

Just to say, that I have also heard that CHF players have not been paid in quite a few weeks now either. Again, I would take with a pinch of salt, but it is hard to see where their money comes from considering the fact they have half a handful of fans at their games.

Its a poor day when a club like that, with all its support, sponsors and history are said be in such trouble.

Slash/ED wrote:

I would love to have your optimism but seems this is going be some page headlines fairly soon.

Amazed its lasting this long without an official statement tbh.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    I would love to have your optimism but seems this is going be some page headlines fairly soon.

Amazed its lasting this long without an official statement tbh.

kdjac
    Or even a proper link...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I don't believe it to be honest. I know there's issues, but there has been for a while - without proof I'm putting it down to the yearly rumour.

This is where the SSDG will make a difference, maybe not initially, but as time goes by it'll put some much needed consistent income into the club!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Or even a proper link...

No link to it yet as i said rumour, seems im not the only one to have heard it or more on it ;)

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    No link to it yet as i said rumour, seems im not the only one to have heard it or more on it ;)

kdjac
    Well I can't see Shels coming out and making a statement on some messageboard rumours. Unless, of course, there is some truth behind them, in which case they should certainly be releasing some info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I checked with an ex pro i work with, and Richie Baker hasnt been paid in 2 weeks.

Dunno about the rest, but its a bad sign.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Shelsweb have finally picked up on the rumours but as usual they are not concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

bohsman wrote:
    Shelsweb have finally picked up on the rumours but as usual they are not concerned.

Exactly............rumours :rolleyes:

bohsman wrote:

Anyone actually expect Shels to come out and say yeah we havent been paying our players?

Honestly??

kdjac

With no proper link or fact this thread is all just rumours and should be closed , can a mod lock this , oh wait didnt the mod start this ;) . Without any evidence to back this up this thread has run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i sit and smile and remember all that was said last year. I do hope its untrue, Ollie is such a nice chap after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Whether the rumour is true, is one thing, but there are two things which are clear.

The first, is that players payments in the LOI are sporadic and mis-managed at best. This was highlighted as well by the tax review where many clubs did not pay their taxes. Shamrock Rovers got an amnesty of sorts and as far as I recall Shelbourne didnt.

The second thing is that the finances of Shelbourne, and probably most clubs, is wafer thin or running a loss at best. I read in the recent Shelbourne-Derry programme that a "special" meeting was being held by "interested parties" to discuss and improve the financial situation of Shelbourne.

(Btw, I dont know the details of Drogheda but I heard that they are doing so well because they have new financial backers - not exactly Abramovich's but enough to make this huge change in form).

Shelbourne may be 'adapting' the rules to delay payments until gate receipts come back up and the European games bring in some money. Its harsh on the players but it may be within their contracts, or may not.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    Whether the rumour is true, is one thing, but there are two things which are clear.

The first, is that players payments in the LOI are sporadic and mis-managed at best. This was highlighted as well by the tax review where many clubs did not pay their taxes. Shamrock Rovers got an amnesty of sorts and as far as I recall Shelbourne didnt.

The second thing is that the finances of Shelbourne, and probably most clubs, is wafer thin or running a loss at best. I read in the recent Shelbourne-Derry programme that a "special" meeting was being held by "interested parties" to discuss and improve the financial situation of Shelbourne.

(Btw, I dont know the details of Drogheda but I heard that they are doing so well because they have new financial backers - not exactly Abramovich's but enough to make this huge change in form).

Shelbourne may be 'adapting' the rules to delay payments until gate receipts come back up and the European games bring in some money. Its harsh on the players but it may be within their contracts, or may not.

redspider

Also to add a lot of full time footballers get paid every three months for tax reasons. So we dont know all the "in's and outs" so this is all just speculation at the moment.

Sarge wrote:
    Also to add a lot of full time footballers get paid every three months for tax reasons.
    Really? :eek:
    How does that work?

• Advertisement

johnos wrote:
    Really? :eek:
    How does that work?

To be honest i don't actually know but i had a great conversation about it with my friends and seeming this is how it works. He is a share holder with Celtic Fc and so therefore can ask to see the books and when he did , he filled me in and seemingly all full time clubs do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

redspider wrote:
    Shamrock Rovers got an amnesty of sorts and as far as I recall Shelbourne didnt.
    redspider

It was hardly an amnesty. Due to the incompetent ****s who were 'running' the club at the time we nearly went out of existence, and ended up going into examinership, only for the fans to save the club.

Interestingly enough, we were also deducted eight points when the same group of ****ing idiots submitted the wrong tax records. However, some clubs – Shelbourne specifically weren't satisfied with this deduction and Ollie Byrne in particular campaigned to have us thrown out of the league. Wonder if he's still singing the same tune now that his club are in the toilet and he needs our money to keep them going.

redspider wrote:

From what i believe, Drogs' money has come from them selling their ground in Drogheda for huge money (housing), and have bought a site on the Meath border (could be wrong in the exact location), which even when finished building the new ground has left them with a huge profit. However, it is forecasted that this money will last them about another 12-18 months, and if their attendances aren't up, and if they havent had a good European run, and won the league, they will be back in familiar territory - BROKE.
    redspider wrote:

redspider

Shels attendences are never up, and the fact that their Euro run this year will most lilely comprise of a few games in the inter toto, i cant see that capturing the imagination and drawing huge numbers.

From what I have heard, Shels have had to borrow to pay the tax bill a few weeks ago, essentially offsetting the debt to elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Knowing a bit about tax I can't see how paying 3 monthly rather than weekly or monthly gives any tax advantage.

Certainly for residents of that country, there is no advantage. The only advantage is a cashflow one in favour of the club.

Perhaps if you are paying non-residents, you might be able to do something by delaying payment. But it would have to be a dodgy scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Shels always amaze me when I see the crowds they get. I often say to myself, what do they do different to Cork City that makes them so rich.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Where they get their money from I'll never know!! They must be the least well supported out of the bigger Dublin clubs (shels, pats, boez, Hoops) only CHF and UCD are worse but lets be honest, they never had nor never will have a support base.

Shels were one of the top supported teams in Ireland 50 years ago

• Advertisement

Donnelly family have been bankrolling the club since the early 90s with Ollie as the figure head. Recently they completed a land deal which may leave them in a position of having a few million and nowhere to go as they are losing money hence this and other threads.

Tbh the only place they could go is tallaght if the SDCC let them or Richmond if we let them Bohs dont need them or anyone sharing, its obvious they wont be able to afford their own land and stadium unless someone gives them a lot of cash. Niall Quinn has a few million to burn tap him up.

Either way someone on Foot.ie posted that 20 players went to Intertoto land.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaC wrote:
    Donnelly family have been bankrolling the club since the early 90s with Ollie as the figure head. Recently they completed a land deal which may leave them in a position of having a few million and nowhere to go as they are losing money hence this and other threads.
    Not any more I'm afraid.

At the meeting about the groundshare with Bohs Ollie told us that they are not involved anymore, hence the financial difficulties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Anto McC wrote:

From what the players have said it seems that this is a week to week thing with their wages, if it goes beyond the tranfer windows some will leave (dont blame them tbh).

Bet Ollie hoping to dear god he gets some money before the end of july, whilst every otherclub will be lining up new players.

kdjac

blu_sonic wrote:
    Where they get their money from I'll never know!! They must be the least well supported out of the bigger Dublin clubs (shels, pats, boez, Hoops) only CHF and UCD are worse but lets be honest, they never had nor never will have a support base.

Shels were one of the top supported teams in Ireland 50 years ago

Pats supports is pitifull.

They are all around the same.

• Advertisement

Pats supports is pitifull.

How do you figure that ? 2500 when **** 4500 when not ****, 14000 people live in Inchicore. Would we be the best supported club based on area and size?

really depends on how you view pitiful, would this be pitiful if you were the champions playing away Champions??? or would this be pitiful if you were an alleged badly supported club from dublin no fans ????

Shame i cant find the one from the Rovers game where they out numbered us, and by certain logic outnumberdd the champions and rovers are a 1st div team.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yawn.

Can we get back to our usual speculation as to when Joey Ndo will be signing for Pats please?

Well the game against Cork was a good example.

I don't think people should rubbish Shels crowds, when they are as big as any of the other Dublin clubs as far as I can see.

Yawn.

Can we get back to our usual speculation as to when Joey Ndo will be signing for Pats please?

We couldnt afford the transfer fee of 4 grand ....lol

kdjac

Advertisement