Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX 7900GT Extreme Edition 256MB

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It is a very good card for price/performance though that price on eBay in euros is €301, you can also get same class GPU from Komplett for €313.

There have been reports that those XFX Extreme editions have been failing at a higher rate as they have been overclocked too aggressively out of the box so just be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The last 2 cards i had were overclocked and i did'nt have great experiences with them. personally i'd go with 8T8's card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Posted on futuremark forum and heard bout those Xfx oc'ed cards giving trouble when they were 1st released. They were originally clocked at 550/1650. All extreme edition cards i can find available now have the clocks reduced 2 520/1500. I thought if i bought an oc'ed card i wouldnt need 2 clock it myself and loose warranty. Lifetime warranty is a big bonus:)
    prob go wit ordinary 7900Gt and do my own oc and put heat sink on ram. There's a voltage mod as well, gonna look in2 that.

What about my psu? got 450w that came with my system. (The card i have at moment is nvidia geforce 6800.) will this psu be good enough for new card? I read sumwhere that a power supply cable goes straight onto high end cards.

all depends on what else is in the system, how manys hds, cds etc. 450 should be fine as long as you don't have 4 hds.

• Advertisement

all depends on what else is in the system, how manys hds, cds etc. 450 should be fine as long as you don't have 4 hds.

only have 1 HD (and self powered external), DVD Drive, DVD Write, Creative Audigy 2. Will i be ok.
    Is there a cable connection also?

Postin elsewhere as well and found out that there a 6pin connection directly to psu cos mobo can only supply 75w max, high end boards need 150-200w. gonna have to check psu.

450 will be grand then. As for the connection, with the card you will get an adapter that will allow you to plug two molex power connectors into it.

Advertisement